Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 19 Mar 2019, 19:51 (Ref:3891899)   #401
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Rallycross needs a TCR-style class.

Not so sure, explain?
Old 19 Mar 2019, 20:20 (Ref:3891904)   #402
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
I posted that a while ago.
Yeah, I saw it mentioned in a few places but, given the vagueness around "RX Cartel" the pictures today seem like official confirmation.
Old 19 Mar 2019, 20:56 (Ref:3891908)   #403
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The electric class would be pretty much a one size fits all.

Actually a good idea for electric, leaves proper rallycross cars to go their own way, without the factories who ruined it in the first place
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:12 (Ref:3891926)   #404
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t think electric is the way to go. But it could work with WRX, we could still have the other rallycross series. And the manufacturers would still be able to use WRX to showcase their cars
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:22 (Ref:3891932)   #405
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The electric class would be pretty much a one size fits all.

Actually a good idea for electric, leaves proper rallycross cars to go their own way, without the factories who ruined it in the first place

I’ve said for a long time that it’s the way. Electric suits rallycross (loads of torque, short races) and the can have an eWRX and then someone can have proper rallycross cars as a separate championship. Best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 Mar 2019, 22:29 (Ref:3891939)   #406
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It is for the main series. No one would care with WRX and there would still be the other series. Best of both worlds as you say
Old 20 Mar 2019, 00:23 (Ref:3891972)   #407
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
I really don't like the idea of a manufacturer showcase of electric cars. I doubt it will come, not technical but those rules that dictates parts to use...
Old 20 Mar 2019, 00:42 (Ref:3891978)   #408
S griffin
Veteran

Well it could happen, the manufacturers would love it. Just not anytime soon
Old 20 Mar 2019, 10:36 (Ref:3892064)   #409
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Citroen will pull out of WRC if it doesn't go electric soon and who owns them?> The same people that ditched WRX for the same reason.

I say no, if WRX wants it, let them have it, I never watch it anyway, that gives me more reason not to.

If someone could prise ERX away from IMG then rallycross COULD start again as it was 5 or so years ago before these moneygrabbers got involved.

But they need it too, tracks in particular need the normal cars, people won't go and watch electric alone without normal supercars.

They might in WRC, but I think any electric series would take a hit in spectator terms, and though IMG wouldn't give a toss, it's money and manufacturers they care about, not the tracks as they are paid either way coz of hosting fees, the tracks might struggle as numbers would be well down after the initial new thing peak.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 11:03 (Ref:3892071)   #410
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think electric will initially have a rocky start but will gain popularity once people realise it’s the only option.

People (manufacturers) aren’t going to keep chucking money at old tech and hybrid doesn’t suit the sport.

Best case for us fans is that electric happens at ‘top level’ and we end up with a championship similar to the old ERX with proper tracks and privateers. Of course the problem with that is that many of the pro drivers won’t be able to afford running their own setup so will be in electric...although I still think electric will be interesting to watch as long as there are super cars at the same event.

Old 20 Mar 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3892072)   #411
S griffin
Veteran

Well we'll see with electric. It might work with WRX. The Manufacturers always love showing off new technology

Of course we still have the old ERX, which still has the old tracks and the like. There's still plenty of top drivers who would want to compete in that, while the others would run in the new electronic series
Old 20 Mar 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3892084)   #412
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
We all know electric motors can be powerful, if it can propel 500 km/h trains than it sure can propel a hatch. It think it's more an achievement if it can run 24 hrs like in LeMans, that you know you can buy a road car that can bring you across Europe on Holiday's...
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:18 (Ref:3892099)   #413
S griffin
Veteran

Yeah nothing wrong with electric, it’s still in it’s infancy, so we’ll see how far it can go. It’s an achievement to get through Le Mans. Let’s see how much that helps the road car development
Old 20 Mar 2019, 12:36 (Ref:3892108)   #414
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Thing is if you talk to people in the industry, electric is never the long term solution, it will NEVER be.
Hydrogen is the way forward long term, and it is coming.

The only reason manufacturers are going electric is to be SEEN to be doing the right thing, after the recent scandals.

And to get you to pay massive amounts for that tech. And they are also under pressure from governments obviously, but in reality electric is never the real solution.

Hydrogen hybrid and electric maybe, but not milk float on it's own
Old 20 Mar 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3892128)   #415
S griffin
Veteran

Well electric isn’t there yet and it might be a while. Don’t rule it out

Hydrogen could work. And I’m not sure manufacturers really want electric that much, they are just going with the flow, some haven’t touched an electric car before

I think it’s a while before we ever go full electric, if ever, although governments are pushing for more electric cars, just not this country
Old 20 Mar 2019, 14:36 (Ref:3892155)   #416
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I’m not clever enough to know what will or want work, and what is and isn’t the future, but I do know that electric is suited to rallycross and the manufacturers seem keen.

Old 20 Mar 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3892158)   #417
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless IMG gets three manufacturers onboard before April, eWRX is not happening though.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3892159)   #418
S griffin
Veteran

I wonder why they need 3? If they don’t, the future of the series is in doubt, with or without electricity
Old 20 Mar 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3892166)   #419
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder why they need 3? If they don’t, the future of the series is in doubt, with or without electricity
Requirement from FIA, and if I remember correctly, if they are to run it as an official FIA World Championship.

Interestingly, at the moment WRX is the only WC without a manufacture, the other championships being F1, WEC (just Toyota though) and WRC.
Old 20 Mar 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3892169)   #420
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Unless IMG gets three manufacturers onboard before April, eWRX is not happening though.

I have no doubt it’ll happen,it’s a question of when.

Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:09 (Ref:3892202)   #421
S griffin
Veteran

We’ll see, certainly they’ll try hard to make sure it does
Old 20 Mar 2019, 17:51 (Ref:3892218)   #422
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Interesting, wonder if anyone official has thought of emailing the FIA and telling them the 2019 series really is not a valid world championship then.

Soudns like nonsense to me, it has been for years with only a few non Euro rounds, and most of those did not last.

I seriously doubt factory cars is a stipulation. I always heard it was rounds away from Europe. And that was always done sketchily by IMG
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:16 (Ref:3892228)   #423
S griffin
Veteran

Well no one really cares, it’s a different championship. It’s a world series with star drivers with compact circuits

It’s a new type of rallycross, separate from the ERX. IMG did a good job promoting it
Old 20 Mar 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3892238)   #424
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
I’ve said for a long time that it’s the way. Electric suits rallycross (loads of torque, short races) and the can have an eWRX and then someone can have proper rallycross cars as a separate championship. Best of both worlds.
Exactly. Now they just need some subwoofers...
Old 20 Mar 2019, 19:30 (Ref:3892260)   #425
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I seriously doubt factory cars is a stipulation. I always heard it was rounds away from Europe. And that was always done sketchily by IMG
I know that you need rounds on 3 continents to be a 'world championship' under FIA view.