Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Apr 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2667738)   #51
Barman1963
Rookie

Barman1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mind you, the sprint at Goodwood was also very sparsely attended last year.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 16:45 (Ref:2667745)   #52
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
was it ? I went to watch and it was busy, likewise the entry list this weekend was good . . . god knows why its an utter waste of money for bugger all track time, but whatever floats your boat.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2667883)   #53
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Numbers racing are halved in US events this year and preparation people in trouble.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2667888)   #54
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah I know none of us should be doing it, about time circuits/clubs started slashing costs then to get us back!
Old 7 Apr 2010, 07:02 (Ref:2668063)   #55
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, you know full well that you have more chance of catching leperosy than that happening!! Circuits slash costs? The way they do that is lay off staff and only open half of the time, and because it's a supply and demand business, when the supply falls and the demand remains high, the price goes UP!
Old 7 Apr 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2668147)   #56
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Is it not also a question of recession . . . I've just been testing again and Woodgood had an empty pit lane for the 2nd month in a row, numbers are massively down on last year ( this was just a general test day for all )
Well, no doubt that the recession has had an impact but the CSCC meeting at Snett this coming weekend has an awesome entry - Swinging Sixties has had to be split in to two races because it had something like 70 entries, Future Classics has reserves (well up on last year), Tin Tops has a near full grid (up on last year) and the new Classic K series has something like 23 or 24 entries for its first ever event.

Give the customers what they want and they will come.

Incidently, some of the AMOC racers might find a home in some of the CSCC races, including the Sports Vs Saloon Challenge races.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2668173)   #57
alfaracer156
Rookie

Ireland
Royston,Herts
alfaracer156 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMOC Snetterton

I did the last race in my Cossie,only 6 started with 5 finishers. Good value for entry fee. Shame on low entries. Will probably go out with Future Classics the rest of season. Mike
Old 7 Apr 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2668210)   #58
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Well, no doubt that the recession has had an impact but the CSCC meeting at Snett this coming weekend has an awesome entry -
This is in no way meant to be disrespectful to the CSCC but perhaps their success is killing off a lot of other series. They certainly seem to have a product that people want and that other clubs are unwilling or unable to provide.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2668256)   #59
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
This is in no way meant to be disrespectful to the CSCC but perhaps their success is killing off a lot of other series. They certainly seem to have a product that people want and that other clubs are unwilling or unable to provide.
Too many clubs/meetings/championship chasing too few entrants? Maybe we need a period of consolidation to ensure the future of club racing.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2668282)   #60
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was at the Snetterton meeting on Monday. Some very nice cars but far too few of them. I've seldom seen such an empty paddock at Snett and i've been going since the early '60s. A couple of marshals were heard saying "they have two of us for each car!" That was a positive...a lot of marshals on post, there were 9 at Sear 'out' alone and a couple of others in the hut at the entry. A bitterly cold wind didn't help the boredom of watching just 7 cars in the 2 hour GT4 event after two other runners fell out early on. Another 40 min race had only 6 cars!
Such a shame in AMOC's 75th year. But as already stated, CSCC this weekend looks brilliant.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2668447)   #61
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Judging by the custom we've had this year, there is great potential for racing in this country. I always said that recession would weed out the bad businesses - maybe it's the same with race series.

>>>>>>>>This is in no way meant to be disrespectful to the CSCC but perhaps their success is killing off a lot of other series

Maybe that's a good thing. Strong, driver-based events. No vested interests (OK shoot me down there if I'm wrong!). Plenty of support by combining various marques that struggle to muster a grid themselves. More clubs should combine grids rather than try to stay one-make. 16-20 cars just doesn't cut the mustard either for spectators or entrants.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2668453)   #62
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, no doubt that the recession has had an impact but the CSCC meeting at Snett this coming weekend has an awesome entry - Swinging Sixties has had to be split in to two races because it had something like 70 entries, Future Classics has reserves (well up on last year), Tin Tops has a near full grid (up on last year) and the new Classic K series has something like 23 or 24 entries for its first ever event.

Give the customers what they want and they will come.

Incidently, some of the AMOC racers might find a home in some of the CSCC races, including the Sports Vs Saloon Challenge races.
Andy,
where did you see the entry list for CSCC?
I'm going this weekend and can't seem to find one.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2668464)   #63
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WFM, the CSCC don't publish entry lists, Andy has a set with his finals. Is there any race in particular you're interested in?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 7 Apr 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2668488)   #64
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
WFM, the CSCC don't publish entry lists, Andy has a set with his finals. Is there any race in particular you're interested in?
All of them Moosehead,
but don't worry, I'll be patient and wait until I get the programme on Saturday morning.
Thanks anyway.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2668498)   #65
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of them Moosehead,
but don't worry, I'll be patient and wait until I get the programme on Saturday morning.
Thanks anyway.

What has this got to do with the original thread?

Bladders.........
Old 8 Apr 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2668695)   #66
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To get back on topic, the AMOC may do better at the next meeting at Mallory in early May - but mainly because of other clubs rather than their own efforts. The Formula Juniors are there with separate grids for front engined and rear engined FJs and they are normally over subscribed with multiple reserves - an extremely well run and supported series. Also the Austin Healey guys are there, some of whom may also be tempted into the 50s team race. It'll be interesting to see if AMOC's normal racers come back although I fear that the bad taste will linger.

This is the way the Jaguar Car Club Racing went few years back, less and less Jaguars raced with them and they survived for a while providing races for other marques/categories. Eventually the club was wound up, sad but at least the founding members (me included) got their investment back as it was done properly.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2668718)   #67
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is in no way meant to be disrespectful to the CSCC but perhaps their success is killing off a lot of other series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Too many clubs/meetings/championship chasing too few entrants? Maybe we need a period of consolidation to ensure the future of club racing.
Lets be clear here, there are thousands of race licence holders in the UK & thousands of race cars, but not every one competes & not every car is used regulary. The fact that they don't compete any more is not the CSCC's fault! There will be lots of reasons why people don't compete - money, time, family commitments, too far to travel, the car doesn't comply wth regs, fed up etc etc but I would suggest that Tim's Post #6 has more to do with the AMOC situation than any impact that CSCC has had.

Maybe there should be consolidation of some clubs/ series but fundamentally Clubs have to evolve and continually think about what their customers want.
I don't think that enough clubs do that (& I have raced with a few).

Quote:
They (the CSCC) certainly seem to have a product that people want and that other clubs are unwilling or unable to provide.
That's the key. The CSCC is doing very well at the moment, but I'm sure that these things are cyclical and the CSCC may go through a rough patch in future. It hasn't always got things right ("Formula Free"?) but one thing's for sure, it does try to listen to the needs of its members and put on products that people want; no one forces people to race with CSCC.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2668771)   #68
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The fact that they don't compete any more is not the CSCC's fault! There will be lots of reasons why people don't compete - money, time, family commitments, too far to travel, the car doesn't comply wth regs, fed up etc etc but I would suggest that Tim's Post #6 has more to do with the AMOC situation than any impact that CSCC has had.
I didn't mean my post to be in any way construed as associating CSCC's success with AMOC's current situation. However, I do feel that club racing is too fragmented with too many organisations chasing the same ends.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 12:06 (Ref:2668795)   #69
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Lets be clear here, there are thousands of race licence holders in the UK & thousands of race cars, but not every one competes & not every car is used regulary. The fact that they don't compete any more is not the CSCC's fault! There will be lots of reasons why people don't compete - money, time, family commitments, too far to travel, the car doesn't comply wth regs, fed up etc etc but I would suggest that Tim's Post #6 has more to do with the AMOC situation than any impact that CSCC has had.

Maybe there should be consolidation of some clubs/ series but fundamentally Clubs have to evolve and continually think about what their customers want.
I don't think that enough clubs do that (& I have raced with a few).
Andy, I feel you have misread my post#19, it wasn't meant to be detrimental and I think that Richard C and the CSCC have done a good job. The only thing that does worry me is that if it gets too big will they still remember why they are there and who they are working for?
Old 8 Apr 2010, 15:19 (Ref:2668903)   #70
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Andy,
where did you see the entry list for CSCC?
I'm going this weekend and can't seem to find one.
I've scanned a copy of my entry sheet, if its of interest?

If you PM me your email address I'll get it over to you.

Cheers
Simon
Old 8 Apr 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2668931)   #71
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I dont like CSCC's race format or the too free regulations and see it as a catch all with Ferraris and Porches in with saloons and IMHO is why they are getting the entries, if you want to race with sportscars then fine but not for me thanks.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2668944)   #72
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Al, that's the beauty of having a choice. CSCC is just one club and there are many others to choose from. Even if AMOC is struggling (which is where we came in) then there are plenty of others & long may that continue.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2669035)   #73
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes I agree, if i had the right car for CSCC I may be of a different opinion/
Old 8 Jul 2010, 07:04 (Ref:2723376)   #74
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I see that Marcus Pye has some very strong views on the future of AMOC as a racing club in last weeks Autosport.
Old 8 Jul 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2723401)   #75
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, Marcus is a good friend but frankly his piece wasn't too helpful, but then I don't think he is aware of the whole story. His solution, in my opinion should be a last resort, although AMOC working alongside other clubs, as it has done for years, should always form the basis of its approach. The club actually has the potential to provide very worthwhile racing programmes and raise its profile, but it needs the right people in the right places to achieve this.

My views on what occurred at the end of last year are well known and there is no doubt that it is why we are where we are, and that is no criticism of Angus Dent and John Hutchison who have done a good job of running with this particularly difficult 'ball' at very short notice.

I have stayed in touch with all parties here, and I would love to think that some sort of reconciliation could take place, and I would be more than happy to facilitate this, even though I was as angry as most about what took place. However, the wounds have, frankly, gone deep and it is difficult to know how to resolve this in the short term. The problem is that we actually don't have much time, because the club needs to be working on its 2011 racing programme, now.

Added note: I've merged this thread with the earlier one so that people not up to speed on this can recap!

Last edited by John Turner; 8 Jul 2010 at 09:12.