Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Oct 2010, 07:26 (Ref:2768930)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Parade and display of Historic Touring Cars Brands BTCC

Anyone here going, I am taking the old Camaro its similar spec to the old Group 1 cars that raced in period like the one Richard Lloyd raced (see articles below). Can anyone tell me in period did Group 1 and Group 2 run together and become effectively the British Touring Car Championship as I want to put some info on a display board?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 4 Oct 2010 at 12:00.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 08:14 (Ref:2768945)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the request for cars - I presume its a freebie as you only get a parade lap of Indy circuit dont you? They should have put a support race on like they did once before
Old 4 Oct 2010, 08:22 (Ref:2768946)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Al,

When the BSCC went from Grp 5 in 1970(?) it changed to Grp 2. Group 1 was prod saloons effectively. The BSCC became Group 1 in (I think) 1973 because of the fuel crisis. In international events such as the TT, Gp1 and Gp 2 cars raced in separate classes.

Best source of info is Frank De Jong. He posts on here so send him a pm.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2769004)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks guys, yes its only three laps and limited speed as well, I have done or am doing some suspension mods so it may just give me a feel if its gonna work or do anything drastic! Yeah I have four tickets and a meal voucher and it helps promote what we are all doing in historics so must be a good thing at the end of the day, maybe we can get some of those laterday BTCC fans interested. Should be a good day out if nothing else. Anyone going please come and say hellow, I have a big 10ths sticker on side of car and will also try to push the forum.

So thats good to here the Gp 1's and Gp2s competed in the same race Peter as it gives our cars builtto that spec a bit of credence, I was worried they would expect me to turn up with Frank Gardener's CanAm engined creation!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2769020)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
BTW sorry about size of attachment, when I first posted it was small and resized when clicked it has somehow gone the other way!
Old 4 Oct 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2769046)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You on IE8? Its the same for me. Firefox re sizes them.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2769094)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes I am how strange.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2769437)   #8
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dropping by with the Jag on the way back from HSCC Silverstone finals - I suppose it's 'representative' of cars that ran in the 60's if not exactly the right sort but who am I to say no to a free day out, and as Al says it all promotes the cause.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 22:52 (Ref:2769486)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I saw the request for cars - I presume its a freebie as you only get a parade lap of Indy circuit dont you? They should have put a support race on like they did once before
If it is anything like out here, the historic races become just as, if not more popular than the 'main game'...
Old 4 Oct 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2769488)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
See you there Colin.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2769643)   #11
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there with my 970s....

We were invited last year and it did attract a lot of interest from the punters who were intrigued by all the different machines whcih I am sure is why BH have been happy to expand it for thsi year's finale.

See you there...

Adrian
Old 6 Oct 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2770392)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Great see you there Adrian.
Old 6 Oct 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2770396)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
BTW the weather for Sunday says wall to wall sunshine!
Old 12 Oct 2010, 08:28 (Ref:2773653)   #14
relativtortoise
Racer

Here is a short youtube clip of all of us out to play at lunchtime..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kakbb80p42M

-RT
Old 12 Oct 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2773755)   #15
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was certainly a lot of interest in the cars, perhaps next year they'll give us a race?

Possibly I'm biased, but from a spectator's point of view there is so little to distinguish between the touring cars, they were all just euroboxes flashing past - no real individuality, no Minis vs Galaxies! With the rest of the races being one make there was very little visual variety all day. Even if it does make for close racing it left me a tad underwhelmed, but it was nice to see the BTCC boys behaving themselves, they've obviously learnt from their elders
Old 12 Oct 2010, 13:25 (Ref:2773795)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Thanks for Posting the vid RT. Yes I agree Colin maybe we could get the Top Gear Team out as well with us again then they could take Ben into a corner and beat him to a pulp lol! (Only joking honest well the but about beating Ben up not the rest).
Old 12 Oct 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2773806)   #17
relativtortoise
Racer

As last year there was a steady stream of interested people who are excited about taking a look and reading a bit of the history of the cars - in my view it is all good.

Much as it would be fabulous PR in front of 42,000 (?) spectators to showcase historic racing I very much doubt they would risk the TV schedules which drive the day. I don't know if you noticed the second race for the big Ginettas was on the grid for an absolute age I guess because they needed to do grid interviews and hit the specific time slots around the adverts.

I think I saw three overtakes all day as mostly it was a procession off the start to the flag and thus all rather dull. I didn't see the Ginetta Juniors who from what I have read did deliver to expectation...

Note to self to fit a fan to the Mini - it went right off the gauge having a few laps under it's belt, followed by the hold, and then the meander back through the paddock amongst the multitude...

Adrian
Old 12 Oct 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2773966)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Adrian have you seen any of our CTCRC races, many are very entertaining. I had a Group 1 race at Snett a few weeks back and me and Cliff Ryan (XKS) swapped places no less than 18 times and if I say so myself it certainly wasnt boring, they kindly gave me drive of the day and we were no where near the sharp end! look at our Lydden Hill Festival on Motors TV and finally (and I may as well post this as its now advertised on the BBC website) catch a look at the Jeremy Clarkson 2010 Christmas DVD called The Italien Job and I think you may agree some pretty entertaining racing and for a reasonable budget. When that comes out like parades at Brands it must further the cause of what we all love to do. Just found this trailer for the Italien Job http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...d-ar97868.html