Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Oct 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1440297)   #1
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memo to Leigh Diffey

Subject: TV Monitors

Leigh - the production boys provide you with monitors in front of you for a very good reason - they are there so that you can SEE what you are supposed to be doing commentary on.

For example - a 30 plus second shot of a SINGLE car with front and rear damage is selected by the producer so that you can comment on it and not waffle. It took you, this afternoon, 35 seconds to see this car despite some very good high, low, side, rear and front on shots of the damage to the car - yet you still could NOT see it until he managed to completely fill the frame of the monitor.

Please adjust your glasses accordingly.

Signed,
TEN Management
Old 22 Oct 2005, 06:21 (Ref:1440303)   #2
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
Guest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you do better then
Old 22 Oct 2005, 06:44 (Ref:1440321)   #3
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
What's this - someone new looking for a quick exit?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 06:48 (Ref:1440326)   #4
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
yes I am new, no I dont want a quick exit. BUT dont really give 2 hoots cause you look like you have no life outside of this forum, 287 posts since Sep 2005. Doing well chief!
Old 22 Oct 2005, 06:52 (Ref:1440329)   #5
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
you are unreal chief, you dished out a big load of critiscm but couldn't handle a little back. I can call you chief, cause you do run this forum dont you?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 06:58 (Ref:1440332)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
off to a great start here Guest.

this just doesnt go for you but everyone.

Attack the post NOT the poster.

can we get this back on topic please ?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1440390)   #7
Racer

Mozambique
Homeless
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
off to a great start here Guest.

this just doesnt go for you but everyone.

Attack the post NOT the poster.

can we get this back on topic please ?
Sorry
Old 22 Oct 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1440335)   #8
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! Two banned members in the one thread!

If only Ray Bell would come back and they could have a threesome.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 07:20 (Ref:1440339)   #9
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
For the benefit of our 'guest' - Mr. Diffey was repeated 'warned' about this particular subject before he departed for overseas bike gig a few years ago. And, how would I know? Well I spent more than a few years working right alongside him at 10.

Morris - care to PM me please?
Old 22 Oct 2005, 07:29 (Ref:1440345)   #10
aussie_f3
Racer

Australia
Somewhere between here and there....
aussie_f3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
For the benefit of our 'guest' - Mr. Diffey was repeated 'warned' about this particular subject before he departed for overseas bike gig a few years ago. And, how would I know? Well I spent more than a few years working right alongside him at 10.......

.....and were really good mates too by the sound of it!!!!

But you are right....he does tend to waffle a bit. But when its all said and done he does it better than I could!!!

Last edited by aussie_f3; 22 Oct 2005 at 07:31. Reason: dooohh
Old 19 Jan 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1504146)   #11
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
For the benefit of our 'guest' - Mr. Diffey was repeated 'warned' about this particular subject before he departed for overseas bike gig a few years ago. And, how would I know? Well I spent more than a few years working right alongside him at 10.

Morris - care to PM me please?
Welcome back Rrrr....... Storyline!!!!!!!!
Old 22 Oct 2005, 07:44 (Ref:1440354)   #12
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
We were actually - but there are still a few callers who refuse to look at what is going to air instead looking out the window trying to call what is front of them - which is one of the reasons why, at many tracks, commentary is put, literally, in a black hole so they can't see outside. But some they can never get through to.

(It frustrates the hell out of the producer as well because he is also trying to give vision to what is being talked about - and when the two don't match...)
Old 22 Oct 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1440362)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the same token, do we want a commentator screaming "Besnard's damaged his car" when we can all see on the TV thats what has happened?
Old 23 Oct 2005, 00:03 (Ref:1440929)   #14
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
By the same token, do we want a commentator screaming "Besnard's damaged his car" when we can all see on the TV thats what has happened?
Not inthose words - but I do expect a competent commentator to talk about what they are showing you.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 01:59 (Ref:1440958)   #15
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to agree with you storyline. Leigh Diffey doesn't impress me as a commentator. I think Network Ten could do better elsewhere.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1440960)   #16
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
For the person listening who doesn't really follow motor racing he may be 'OK' - but for anyone who has a little bit of knowledge of the sport he tends to make too many silly mistakes - and the worst part - if he does make a mistake there is no 'I'm sorry - I have that wrong' - whereas at least Crompton will acknowledge a mistake (similarly others in the past, Oastler - even Bill Woods!)
Old 23 Oct 2005, 02:49 (Ref:1440968)   #17
AussieTeddie
Rookie

AussieTeddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you Storyline. He is ok for someone that doesn't really follow motor racing, but for us that do you can certaily notice the difference.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1441068)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If TEN had any sense they would clear the boards and start again.

5 years in Europe and America taught Leigh Diffey absolutly nothing. He continues to yell at us non-stop, not inform us and get excited when neccesary.

Neil Crompton, he learnt his trade at both ends of the spectrum, commentating with Will Hagon and John Smailes at the ABC with their 'talk when somethings happening but let the pictures do the talking approach', and then with Channel 7 with Raymond & Wilko and their 'talk about everything, get excited when it's exciting and say its boring when it is boring' approach. All we get nowadays is non-stop technical babble seemingly for his own amusement, and both he and Diffey constantly telling us how great everything is even when it is clearly a dull race.

I wonder would either of these two attack the rule makers like the way Mike Raymond used to. I think not.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1441111)   #19
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
If TEN had any sense they would clear the boards and start again.

5 years in Europe and America taught Leigh Diffey absolutly nothing. He continues to yell at us non-stop, not inform us and get excited when neccesary.

Neil Crompton, he learnt his trade at both ends of the spectrum, commentating with Will Hagon and John Smailes at the ABC with their 'talk when somethings happening but let the pictures do the talking approach', and then with Channel 7 with Raymond & Wilko and their 'talk about everything, get excited when it's exciting and say its boring when it is boring' approach. All we get nowadays is non-stop technical babble seemingly for his own amusement, and both he and Diffey constantly telling us how great everything is even when it is clearly a dull race.

I wonder would either of these two attack the rule makers like the way Mike Raymond used to. I think not.
Are the home of motorsport commentaters above then selve and do they think that there ###t does not stink, like some of the taxi drivers they commentate about.

I agree perhaps it is time for the home of motorsport put a broom through the commentery team.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 23 Oct 2005, 10:54 (Ref:1441163)   #20
Dingo
Racer

United Nations
Dingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Possibly because they know which side of their bread is buttered...
Old 10 Nov 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1457680)   #21
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
All we get nowadays is non-stop technical babble seemingly for his own amusement, and both he and Diffey constantly telling us how great everything is even when it is clearly a dull race.
For his own amusement? I appreciate it no end! I very much enjoy what he has to say. If you don't understand it thats ok just listen to Leigh. Thats what he is there for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
Might I take this opportunity to congratulate Neil Crompton his commentary, which saves us from tearing our hear out listening to the likes of Diffey.

Seriously, Crompton is the best commentator in the world. Always spontaneous, almost always spot on with this views. He consistently performs above and beyond his job description. He is a remarkable individual and blessed with the gab.

If only Brad Jones could fill Diffey's shoes, it would make for a very entertaining TV coverage...
Agree 100%. Especially about

Quote:
He consistently performs above and beyond his job description. He is a remarkable individual and blessed with the gab.
He knows how to articulate things perfectly and if you watch him while he is interviewing he often looks around to see what else is going on - not because he is bored but because he is clearly an intelligent, multi-talented fellow! He knows *what* questions to ask and how to ask them. We are very lucky to have him as a commentator and its because of him I look forward to the V8 coverage so much.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1457856)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
For his own amusement? I appreciate it no end! I very much enjoy what he has to say. If you don't understand it thats ok just listen to Leigh. Thats what he is there for.
There is a limit though to how much you want to hear, especially as alot of the stuff is repeated round after round.

Crompton is certainly the best in the C10 box at the moment, that doesn't make him the best out there though.

The three faces of Neils on Wheels, at Channel 2, at Channel 7, at Channel 10.....he has shown three completely different styles of commentary at each network.

At least the coverage has someone who has been out there though, imagine the line-up if he wasn't there.........
Old 23 Oct 2005, 10:15 (Ref:1441140)   #23
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might I take this opportunity to congratulate Neil Crompton his commentary, which saves us from tearing our hear out listening to the likes of Diffey.

Seriously, Crompton is the best commentator in the world. Always spontaneous, almost always spot on with this views. He consistently performs above and beyond his job description. He is a remarkable individual and blessed with the gab.

If only Brad Jones could fill Diffey's shoes, it would make for a very entertaining TV coverage...
Old 23 Oct 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1441142)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I agree, Mr Jones makes a welcome addition to the commentary, and can translate many things to the viewers.... if they could kill all the in-joke rubbish with Cromley and the boys it would be a good package.

Perhaps if the other Mr Jones doesnt have a gig next season, it may be made possible....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Oct 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1441150)   #25
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
I agree, Mr Jones makes a welcome addition to the commentary, and can translate many things to the viewers.... if they could kill all the in-joke rubbish with Cromley and the boys it would be a good package.

Perhaps if the other Mr Jones doesnt have a gig next season, it may be made possible....
Mr Jones also get my vote. He did a great job with Wilko & Oastler in 1996.