Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 Mar 2022, 13:17 (Ref:4104784)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nitro Rallycross 2022-2023

I personally didn't think the first season delivered anything close to the hype, but I was interested enough to watch again this year.

Series is going international for its second season.

June 18-19, 2022 // England (Lydden Hill Race Circuit)
July 30-31, 2022 // Sweden
August 27-28, 2022 // Finland
October 1-2, 2022 // Minneapolis, USA
October 29-30, 2022 // Los Angeles, USA
November 12-13, 2022 // Phoenix, USA
December 10-11, 2022 // Saudi Arabia
January 21-22, 2023 // Quebec, Canada
February 4-5, 2023 // Alberta, Canada
March TBA, 2023 // Nitro RX 2022-23 Series Finale // TBA, USA

I am still getting a strong X-Games/GRC vibe with the move to go international, be interested to see how it goes.
Old 29 Mar 2022, 13:35 (Ref:4104787)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm especially interested in the Canadian winter races.
Old 29 Mar 2022, 13:36 (Ref:4104788)   #3
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really enjoyed the first season tbh, some of the cars struggled with the bigger jumps but there was some good racing. Also appreciated that they acknowledged where the format wasn't quite hitting home and tweaked it a bit.

Could all be flying too far, too soon...but this is a genuinely international series as opposed to the "world" championship which doesn't currently venture out of Europe.

Also going to be a real mix of tracks, Canada in January suggests there'll be some ice in there too.....AND, nice to see that Supercar is still on the billing despite the move towards electric, although I hope that doesn't dilute the field too much. Fingers crossed there's a half decent entry for the first round, would like to get up to Lydden again but it's a long slog if there's just the strung out BRX/Nations Rallycross entry.
Old 29 Mar 2022, 13:52 (Ref:4104790)   #4
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
I really enjoyed the first season tbh, some of the cars struggled with the bigger jumps but there was some good racing. Also appreciated that they acknowledged where the format wasn't quite hitting home and tweaked it a bit.
The high attrition rate was what really put me off. There was definitely some good racing in there, but seeing so many cars getting trashed wasn't what I personally wanted to see.

Quote:
Could all be flying too far, too soon...but this is a genuinely international series as opposed to the "world" championship which doesn't currently venture out of Europe.
Yeah, that is my concern as well. If they make it to all those venues though, then it could be a really interesting season.
Old 29 Mar 2022, 16:27 (Ref:4104804)   #5
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
The high attrition rate was what really put me off. There was definitely some good racing in there, but seeing so many cars getting trashed wasn't what I personally wanted to see.
I'd have thought a lot of the rounds (especially Lydden) are going to be closer to 'traditional' rallycross in terms of jumps so we're less likely to see struts smashed through bonnets. It's been a while since the last race but from memory there was a general improvement in reliability through the season, we saw cars retiring more from mistakes and crashes rather than outright mechanical problems.

Also the electric car has been built specifically with NRX in mind and is probably a bit closer to the Extreme E type buggy so will probably handle jumps better anyway. Going to wait and see what the next few months bring in terms of news/entries/track layout but definitely blocking off the Lydden weekend for the minute.
Old 30 Mar 2022, 08:59 (Ref:4104867)   #6
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I'd have thought a lot of the rounds (especially Lydden) are going to be closer to 'traditional' rallycross in terms of jumps so we're less likely to see struts smashed through bonnets. It's been a while since the last race but from memory there was a general improvement in reliability through the season, we saw cars retiring more from mistakes and crashes rather than outright mechanical problems.
I thought the whole season was pretty hard on the cars, though I agree that some of the latter races didn't seem to have quite as many smashed cars.

They have talked about making tracks more extreme for the new cars, but I wonder how that will work with the support races as well: one route for one class and another route for the others?

Quote:
Also the electric car has been built specifically with NRX in mind and is probably a bit closer to the Extreme E type buggy so will probably handle jumps better anyway. Going to wait and see what the next few months bring in terms of news/entries/track layout but definitely blocking off the Lydden weekend for the minute.
Yeah. It's possibly an wildly inaccurate comparison, but I am currently seeing the FC1-X as a sort of electric trophy truck (but I was making comparisons with NRX and CORRS/LORRS last year so maybe that is still influencing me), irrespective of any comparison though, I definitely agree that they look more capable of handling jumps.

Lydden isn't a massive trek for me though, so I'm pretty sure I'll give it a look. Assuming that Supercars are running as a support series I hope we might see a car or two from the US make the trip over.
Old 3 Apr 2022, 10:51 (Ref:4105220)   #7
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I wonder how that will work with the support races as well: one route for one class and another route for the others?
That would be my guess, it's exactly how they worked if with the RX2 and SxS cars last season.

Quote:
Assuming that Supercars are running as a support series I hope we might see a car or two from the US make the trip over.
The release suggested that was the case and I'd be surprised if they didn't bring the class to Europe, given how many wildcards will probably want to enter. Would be nice if it meant that we see something closer to when WRX started out, with lots of wildcards entering, maybe with the electric class taking all the big money entries
Old 11 Apr 2022, 17:24 (Ref:4106346)   #8
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
If I go to the event at Lydden Hill in June, how is Nitro Rallycross likely to differ from what I will see this weekend at the British RX meeting?
Old 11 Apr 2022, 19:17 (Ref:4106373)   #9
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
If I go to the event at Lydden Hill in June, how is Nitro Rallycross likely to differ from what I will see this weekend at the British RX meeting?
Exact differences are unknown at the moment. Would expect some changes to the track and/or a big jump to be built somewhere for the FC1-X races.

Definitely should be a chance to see some different Supercars in the UK; I am not convinced by the route NRX is taking (and how quickly it is evolving), but I am intrigued to see the electric "cars" in action plus I'm quite excited to see the latest iteration of the Subaru rallycross cars at Lydden...

...that said, I am expecting closer Supercar races at 5 Nations next weekend.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 23:02 (Ref:4106422)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I don't think that NRX will ask Lydden Hill to add massive jumps.
Old 12 Apr 2022, 12:53 (Ref:4106497)   #11
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
I doubt the track will differ much at all, but suspect the entry will have a bit more depth to it.

On another note, Jenson Button will be joing Oli Bennett's team
https://twitter.com/EnergyXite/statu...R2q6QTZ9q8gSaQ
Old 12 Apr 2022, 16:41 (Ref:4106537)   #12
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks!

The bracket qualifying is interesting. Is it a round-robin (everyone races everyone) or a multi-round knockout?
Old 12 Apr 2022, 17:33 (Ref:4106549)   #13
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is this now going to tie in with the WRX TBC date which is also on that weekend or are there going to be major rallycross events on at the same time.....?
Old 12 Apr 2022, 18:37 (Ref:4106559)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Bracket = knockout
Old 12 Apr 2022, 18:47 (Ref:4106560)   #15
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Thanks!

The bracket qualifying is interesting. Is it a round-robin (everyone races everyone) or a multi-round knockout?
If it runs the same as last year then it's basically head to head races through a tournament style bracket. When i first heard the idea I thought it would be a bit lame (two cars on track etc.) but actually it was pretty entertaining at times.
Old 13 Apr 2022, 15:47 (Ref:4106687)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Jenson Button will drive for Xite.

https://dirtfish.com/rallycross/nitr...ro-rallycross/
Old 4 May 2022, 08:32 (Ref:4108856)   #17
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
From Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydden Hill
Nitro Rallycross tickets are now live!
20% early bird discount 7 days only - Book now with code 'LYDDEN'
Two days of rallycross action from the new disruptive force in rallycross coming to the home of rallycross this June on the 18th & 19th.
Get your discounted tickets here (Discount automatically applied) - https://bit.ly/nitroearlybird
Missed out on the discount? You can still book your tickets here - https://bit.ly/nitrorallycross
It's time to go Nitro
Last day to book with the early bird discount is Wednesday the 11th of May
No mention of camping though, and without camping I'm not sure I want to bother booking tickets.
Old 4 May 2022, 09:18 (Ref:4108859)   #18
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
They will surely have camping available for that weekend, won't they?
Old 4 May 2022, 09:19 (Ref:4108861)   #19
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I'd expect them to, but normally you'd pay for it with the ticket....I think, been a long time since I've been to Lydden
Old 4 May 2022, 19:08 (Ref:4108917)   #20
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who else was in Barcelona along with Meeke ?
Old 5 May 2022, 09:04 (Ref:4108953)   #21
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Noticed there is an "event map" on the Ticketmaster website:

Possibly just a really badly drawn circuit map, but if that is correct then it looks like the cars will be turning onto the infield on the exit of Chessons?

I know a big jump in the infield was mentioned when the GRC was due to come to Lydden, is this what they are going to do now?

Oh, and £42 for a weekend ticket, not too severe... or £236 for VIP. I assume that the VIP's get to drive a Supercar for that much?
Old 5 May 2022, 10:28 (Ref:4108958)   #22
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Interesting, certainly looks like they'll turn onto the infield with the joker lap actually being the full tarmac lap rather than using the existing jump.

Price does seem pretty decent although assuming we get the main class, supercars, RX2 (or whatever they call it) we'll probably want to see at least another class on the list to avoid a lot of sitting around. It's even better value with the current 20% early bird option.
Old 6 May 2022, 19:55 (Ref:4109087)   #23
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone actually been able to book tickets by the earlybird link yet?
Old 6 May 2022, 22:48 (Ref:4109098)   #24
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
Anyone actually been able to book tickets by the earlybird link yet?
Yep, booked mine earlier.
Old 8 May 2022, 20:11 (Ref:4109261)   #25
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, booked mine earlier.
Thanks, just tried the link myself, only problem now is it won't let you select just one ticket - cannot see any T&C's that say you have to buy a pair to get the earlier bird discount.

Has anyone managed to purchase for just 1 person?

Thanks