Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jun 2004, 11:57 (Ref:1021335)   #1
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Owners

Given the chance, which of the current crop of F1 team owners would inspire you to work for them.

My choice would be Ron Dennis, he may lack the charisma of some but he always comes across as honest, (If not I'm prepared to listen)and backs his personnel. and he pays well
Old 30 Jun 2004, 12:02 (Ref:1021342)   #2
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Richards. He owns Prodrive also and the WDC rights, so if F1 became less of a challenge you could move around in the company. He's focussed, ambitious and would look after you if you worked hard.

If not, Jean Todt - all the Ferrari team walk around with a spring in their step, and having spent the day with PR officer Regine Rettner the other day, she was such a kind hearted and friendly professional.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 12:25 (Ref:1021371)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie Jordan:
after having worked wth him, I reckon any further job would look linear and simple
Old 30 Jun 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1021447)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely Ron.

People who've worked for him say he's a great boss.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 14:50 (Ref:1021537)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm owners? Ron Denis, obviously.

I can't possibly see myself working with Patrick Head. As for Paul Stoddard... ahem
Old 30 Jun 2004, 15:16 (Ref:1021568)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dave Richards seems very personable, friendly and rational - having the name of everyone involved in the team, right down to the tea ladies, on the rear wing of the car is a great touch. So he'd probably be my choice.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 15:21 (Ref:1021573)   #7
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Dennis inspires great team loyalty. Most of the Mclaren staff have been in place for years, not like some teams who seem to change personnel every fortnight.

It also has something to do with the fact that Mclaren employees are amongst the highest paid in the pit lane.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1021611)   #8
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
It's strange that the ones I'd rather work for are NOT the teams I like best:
Maybe: Ron Dennis, or David Richards, or even Peter Sauber?

Last edited by gert; 30 Jun 2004 at 16:03.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 16:23 (Ref:1021629)   #9
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot about the neutral Mr Sauber! Wonder what he's like as a boss? Sauber do a very respectable job given their privateer status, so I imagine they'd be very efficient!

I remember RD's comments about Paragon, and how important it is for the surroundings of the facility to be picturesque, to help motivate his staff. He seems very in-tune with what people need/want and I imagine that facility must be pretty mega to work at. I wonder which team would work you the hardest?

I remember a couple of years back I was up at Silverstone and I trundled down to the inside of Copse - glorious place to watch the cars and I got speaking to another guy who was admiring the drivers at work. Turned out he worked for Jordan and he wasn't happy - the Chrimbo party had been canned a few months before (must have been testing for the '02 season, as EJ canned the Chrimbo bash at the end of '01) and he went into detail that he felt it very harsh etc etc and how it wasn't as happy inside the company as the PR people would like us to believe. I can tell you that when I've ever written to all the F1 teams the only one I've NEVER had a reply from was Jordan...I even got a letter and an e-mail from Sauber?!

So, I think that'd be my least favourite place. Imagine the Paragon though...
Old 30 Jun 2004, 16:33 (Ref:1021640)   #10
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did a charity kart race with a guy from Jordan in quite an important are of the team. He echoed those statments that the factory was impossible to work out as results where being demmanded but time/cash was not available to achieve the results. There was threats of sacking constantly over peoples heads, at the same time the PR team where painting "Happy Fun Jordan" with great moral and fight back attitude.

I think I'd actually like to work with Frank and Patrick, they seem harsh but fair and VERY focused it would be an interesting challange working in that environment.

Failing that David Richards, he appears to be structured and have a plan for everything and can ride the tougher times too.

Ferrari has the impresion of a genuine team atmosphere, great weather and food too.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 08:32 (Ref:1023426)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think people will be surprised, but if i have to work under any team owner/manager of my choice, i'd probably work for Ron Dennis, Jean Todt or maybe David Richard.

In the professional aspect, i highly admire these 3 fellas. Ron for example may be quite annoying to the outside world of F1, but i've learnt he's a very professional and commited team boss. He is protective and caring of his staff, providing them with good working environment while taking upon himself the task of sheltering his employees from the harsh F1 politics.

Jean Todt is also admired for the role he plays in making the whole Ferrari team work like a family.Staff are treated with care and their welfare/enjoyment is never neglected in their pursuit of greater results. Credits to him for making the team gel like no others.

DR? somewhere in between Ron and Jean...and should be relatively good to work with.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1023530)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would have to go with Todt. Truly a team first atmosphere there that would be great to work in.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1026894)   #13
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave Richards is Ron Dennis jr in many respects - a total pro who understands business as well as racing. I think they'd be the most interesting teams to work from if you wanted a 360-degree view of how racing works.

I reckon Williams is the team with the highest concentration of racers, I think I'd enjoy working with Sir Frank or Patrick Head because he doesn't bother mincing his words.

Napoleon/Brawn is probably something of a masterclass, but I think Ferrari seems somehow "soulless" now it's internationalised itself. Flav I wouldn't want to be in the same organisation as, he's a spiv; Peter Sauber doesn't excite me at all, if you stayed long enough at Jaguar (a week or two) you'd be in charge yourself, Paul Stoddart would just whinge and/or not pay people, and Ove Andersson's successor doesn't seem to have established a personality. And EJ? Sorry, I'd be mocking the wig all the time.

Last edited by Pete Fenelon; 5 Jul 2004 at 16:09.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1026982)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Brawn like Napoleon? Don't see that myself. A lot of people say Todt is like Napolean, but that is only because both are French.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 20:31 (Ref:1027224)   #15
Pete Fenelon
Racer

No, I was treating Todt and Brawn as a composite entity
Old 6 Jul 2004, 00:08 (Ref:1027498)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Fenelon
Dave Richards is Ron Dennis jr in many respects
Don't think that David Richards would see that as a compliment somehow Pete as they have both been around for a heck of a long time.

But both are eually professional and i should imagine, very good employers.

The other person i personally would like to work for, is Frank Williams, but that maybe more for the respect i have for him since his accident.

On a side note, my cousain has met EJ twice, and both times, he (EJ) was, very drunk and very obnoxious, and both times tried to start a fight with someone. Not the sort of image he likes to portray in public, and, as other on here have suggested, maybe not the ideal person to work for!
Old 7 Jul 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1029346)   #17
Pete Fenelon
Racer

I have immense respect for Dave Richards too, and meant it as a compliment to both men. Both Ron Dennis and Dave Richards have built up totally professional, image-conscious, successful businesses from virtually nothing; the only difference is that Ron (having been running teams since the very early 70s) has got about 10-15 years' more experience than Dave - then again, to some extent I think Dave must've used Ron as a role model, because he's done everything right that Ron did!

Dave Richards has done something even Ron hasn't done, diversifying out into the TV business.

I think that of the current F1 team bosses, he is the guy who is most likely to be the "new Bernie".