Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Mar 2006, 06:03 (Ref:1558042)   #1
LoLola
Rookie

LoLola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva MK4?

I am searching for history and pictures of Elva MK4 from pre 1960. Anyone familiar with these?
Old 3 Apr 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1882912)   #2
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva Mk4

Hmmmm. Realise this may be rather late, but I've only just come accross this website, and therefore your enquiry.

I own and race a mk4. It's the only surviving works car and won it's class at Sebring in '59, and came 2nd in class in '60. As such, it's the only Elva ever to take a class win at world championship level. It was also invited to take part in the 50-car parade to mark the 5oth anniversary of the Sebring race in '02. Apart from a pre x-flow Ford 1500 fitted in '61 it remains pretty much original.

If you're still interested in the mk4, drop me a line.

Best regards...........
Old 3 Apr 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1882919)   #3
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Peach ?!?!!? Who let you in here!?!?!
Old 4 Apr 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1883523)   #4
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Ahhhh, Mr James I presume. Don't tell anyone, but I'm back from the good ol' U S of A. Right now I'm in hiding in Stuttgart . Not sure how I got in here actually. How do I get out?
Old 5 Apr 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1883937)   #5
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was just sent the attached article, from Classic Cars Africa, by Canadian Mark 6 owner John Lindsay.

Apparently the workshop's e-mail is: emgee@mweb.za
Maybe they can help with information.

I have also used this to start a thread in the chassis number forum, I will add the information I have about Mark IV chassis numbers, from Stan Mason, as soon as I find time.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 16:46 (Ref:1884281)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is great stuff, and really worth developing, Peter, but where do we stand with copyright on the above article?
Old 5 Apr 2007, 17:13 (Ref:1884298)   #7
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Nice car, but it's not an Elva Mk4, I'm afraid. Looks like a Mk3 without the usual head fairing to me. Mk4's are rather lower, and more angular. According to the posting rules I can't post attachments, otherwise I'd post a picture or two of Mk4s.
Thanks for the info reagrding the chassis number thread, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.Still.... I'll keep trying.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 17:25 (Ref:1884304)   #8
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Lindsay posts on the forum and has posted on the other Elva threads. He has a MK6 and his brother has (or had) my old Mk6
Old 5 Apr 2007, 21:39 (Ref:1884463)   #9
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
This is great stuff, and really worth developing, Peter, but where do we stand with copyright on the above article?
Ummmm - did wonder about that but:
Given the source is acknowledged and it might possibly introduce potential readers to the magazine, and customers for the preparation company, I would imagine that they would be greatful for the publicity?
The other option was to type out the text and post a picture of the car (no doubt the same one if I e-mailed and ask for a picture) which would be less of a service to the magazine, so it is hard to imagine any serious objection could be raised.
And given that copyright laws vary from country to country it is unlikely that it could become an issue given it isn't a professional photograph.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 21:41 (Ref:1884467)   #10
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer 35
Nice car, but it's not an Elva Mk4, I'm afraid. Looks like a Mk3 without the usual head fairing to me. Mk4's are rather lower, and more angular. According to the posting rules I can't post attachments, otherwise I'd post a picture or two of Mk4s.
Thanks for the info reagrding the chassis number thread, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.Still.... I'll keep trying.
I was thinking it looked earlier than a Mark 4.

Chassis number thread starts here:
http://tentenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77
I might have to rename the one where I put this article!!

I will try to add the Mark 3 & 4 information I have over the holidays.
Old 6 Apr 2007, 03:17 (Ref:1884606)   #11
John Lindsay
Rookie

John Lindsay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elva Mk4 ?

The car is a MK 2 bobtail or possibly a MK 3 Elva. There is an excellant explanation on the chassis pages of the differences . I owned a Mk2 and I cannot tell a 2 or 3 apart from the pictures
John Lindsay
Old 6 Apr 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1884734)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley
Ummmm - did wonder about that but:
Given the source is acknowledged and it might possibly introduce potential readers to the magazine, and customers for the preparation company, I would imagine that they would be grateful for the publicity?
Whilst I don't disagree, the fact remains that, strictly speaking, we are in breach of site rules concerning copyright. Nevertheless, since there is accreditation, I'll leave it in pending any objection from interested parties.
Old 7 Apr 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1885343)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
In the light of John's comments, I have merged the new archive thread with your Elva Mk 1 & 2 thread, in that forum, Peter.
Old 17 Jun 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2485548)   #14
fwb35
Rookie

fwb35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have many pics and newspaper articles from when my father, Frank Baptista raced a MKIV in the late 50's, he was national champ in 56,57,58