Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 3 Oct 2022, 11:44 (Ref:4128526)   #176
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can somebody please explain to me why they changed the paddock area so fans couldn't see the hot pits? Semis were all parked up against the barrier fencing and the garages were facing the middle of the paddock area. First time I've seen this at the PLM.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 15:30 (Ref:4128547)   #177
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
Can somebody please explain to me why they changed the paddock area so fans couldn't see the hot pits? Semis were all parked up against the barrier fencing and the garages were facing the middle of the paddock area. First time I've seen this at the PLM.
When i heard of the new parking arrangement that was the first thing i thought of. I used to like going down there and seeing the pit action first hand. Did this somehow help accommodate more transporters down there?
Old 3 Oct 2022, 16:54 (Ref:4128559)   #178
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
When i heard of the new parking arrangement that was the first thing i thought of. I used to like going down there and seeing the pit action first hand. Did this somehow help accommodate more transporters down there?
Ya, it was unfortunate since it really detracted from the whole fan experience thing.

Normally, the wife and I would go down to the pits several times during the race just to see all the action. It just didn't seem worth it this time.
Old 3 Oct 2022, 23:31 (Ref:4128602)   #179
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It wasn't like you could see much the last couple years anyway. All the spares and sidewalls stopped a real view from behind the fencing to the actual pitwall. Last time I went down it was a view of the fin or rear wing only
Old 4 Oct 2022, 01:07 (Ref:4128612)   #180
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It wasn't like you could see much the last couple years anyway. All the spares and sidewalls stopped a real view from behind the fencing to the actual pitwall. Last time I went down it was a view of the fin or rear wing only
It may not have been ideal, but it was FAR better than this year. At least you got a good view of how the teams maintained their telemetry and staged for the pit. This year was absolutely not the same fan experience and I hope they reconsider this change. I will be voicing my opinion on this with Road Atlanta's management.
Old 5 Oct 2022, 02:07 (Ref:4128705)   #181
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT240Z View Post
It may not have been ideal, but it was FAR better than this year. At least you got a good view of how the teams maintained their telemetry and staged for the pit. This year was absolutely not the same fan experience and I hope they reconsider this change. I will be voicing my opinion on this with Road Atlanta's management.
I doubt the track management had anything to do with it. They may all be France employees but the track is told what IMSA wants, not the other way around
Old 8 Oct 2022, 05:51 (Ref:4129126)   #182
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, that sucks. I'm a little concerned as the current track manager of RdAtl came from Barber. I haven't seen everything but I've seen a lot, and while Barber is a stunning facility, it offers THE worst fan experience in all of America.

The electronic tickets that weren't working when I arrived (thank goodness I printed mine out) and seemed unnecessary. Then they gave out actual, physical tickets if you bought something from the IMSA store... I'm appreciative that I have a ticket stub as that's my #1 souvenir, but it's also dumb. I spend most of my "leisure" dollars every year there, just give me a physical ticket.
Old 8 Oct 2022, 14:21 (Ref:4129206)   #183
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’d forgotten about that, but it was the same at Sebring. No ticket, but a pretend one for free at the shop. I suppose those who want to keep the ticket are likely to buy some swag too, but all just seems odd.

I carefully peeled the yellow sticker off from the windscreen to keep and it’s stuck on a tool box. Not sure where the fake ticket is!
Old 8 Oct 2022, 15:43 (Ref:4129223)   #184
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Hated having to wear the hospital wrist band all week too. Got the "fake" ticket but had to buy the wife a new T-shirt to get it. She gets one every year though, so no big deal.

Most of the changes that were implemented this year were IMSA directed and not the result of any local management decisions. I spoke with Abe at the Will-Call booth, and he was very unhappy with the new IMSA ticketing method and the glitches that resulted. Especially early on.

Still trying to find out how the new paddock area changes were made. Really use to love the paddock area during the race. This year was more like a vender ally experience.
Old 8 Oct 2022, 22:01 (Ref:4129314)   #185
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I put the wristband on race day. I didn't want it to annoy me all week and what was the point? I had to have 4 different tickets and a hardcard Road Atlanta ID with my picture on it and show it to two people to get into the facility. If I have to leave, just give me a wristband on my way out.

Thanks for the info about Sebring and the conversation with Abe. It makes sense that this is an IMSA thing.
Old 11 Oct 2022, 16:59 (Ref:4129928)   #186
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Just spoke with Rick Humphrey about the issues of no fan visibility to the hot pit area during the Petit Le Mans. We spoke for about 20 minutes about the situation. He acknowledged that there have been several concerns over the change in paddock layout this year. He indicated that it was IMSA driven but was also reviewed by Road Atlanta staff. The reason for the change was due to a larger car count and support vehicles needed for the WeatherTech cars. It was changed but is now under review. They didn't anticipate the fan feedback they received and are in the process of looking at options for next year.

I was very pleased that he responded to my email by calling me on my cell phone to speak to me personally. He was very understanding and assured me that they would do what they could to improve fan interaction. Not holding my breath, but it was a positive sign and I hope it does prompt for further assessment of the paddock/hot pit area. He also gave me his direct phone and asked me to give him any feedback going on into the future.

NOTE: It's now 367 days 23 hours and nine minutes till the next Petit Le Mans.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 23:12 (Ref:4132127)   #187
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd like to point out that this is the first year that I couldn't attend in 20 something years and in that 20 something years, this year is the first time I've been catching commercials (mostly on YouTube but certainly other places) nearly a month after the race was over....thx fellars!! Just using up that wasted advert money or what?!
Old 30 Oct 2022, 23:52 (Ref:4132129)   #188
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'd like to point out that this is the first year that I couldn't attend in 20 something years and in that 20 something years, this year is the first time I've been catching commercials (mostly on YouTube but certainly other places) nearly a month after the race was over....thx fellars!! Just using up that wasted advert money or what?!
Already looking forward to next year.