Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Apr 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3972064)   #51
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If he’s eager and by the sounds of it he is, then of course he would come back
Old 21 Apr 2020, 17:58 (Ref:3972087)   #52
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
To be honest, I think that this whole Coronavirus situation is so extreme and that it will cause a large proportion of people (and companies) to completely change their outlook on life in general. Lets face it none of us have ever experienced such a thing that has had such an overwhelming on The Whole World like this has. In light of this, is being the person who can drive a racing around in circles quicker than anyone else can an important achievement, especially when you have already shown that you are, and more than once, or are there other things that you may prefer to do with (what's left of) your life, with the wealth that you have already accrued?
I honestly don't expect there to be any significant motorsport activity at all this year, Nationally or Internationally, there are far more important things to sort out first for the good of mankind as a whole before our favourite pastime reaches the top of the priorities list sadly.
I really do think that life as we knew it will never return, companies will realise that they don't need huge expensive & prestigious offices because a lot of their staff can function just as well from home. Workers will realise what a chore (and expense) commuting has been, and that as it is clearly isn't necessary, will not want to go back to doing it.
I could go on but I think I've made my point (and anyway it's time for a glass of wine). It may pass the time having these discussions, and I am all for that, it keeps our brains active, but I just don't think we can theorise about things based on what we used to know, to coin a phrase, 'the times they are a changin'.
Old 22 Apr 2020, 01:40 (Ref:3972135)   #53
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
From his results so far this year I could have done just as well, and a lot cheaper!
Old 22 Apr 2020, 08:43 (Ref:3972173)   #54
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed, he's done no better than any other driver on the grid
Old 26 Apr 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3972977)   #55
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Indeed, he's done no better than any other driver on the grid
Not sure what that means in context?
Old 26 Apr 2020, 19:32 (Ref:3972994)   #56
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Not sure what that means in context?
Just tedious jokes referring to the fact that since there has been no racing yet this season, every driver is equal on points.
Old 12 May 2020, 00:07 (Ref:3975619)   #57
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52612216

BBC suggest that if Vettel does race after 2020, it won't be with Ferrari.
Old 12 May 2020, 03:44 (Ref:3975627)   #58
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am stunned, Vettels is a young (32) 4xWDC
with the right attention he should be able to get ferrari up to where they need to be, but LeClerc i think is the favored son there, and that is all that needs ot be said, they didn't want vettel to blow it, but he didn't really deliver.
it could be the might of M-B and hamilton pairing is just too much.
Old 12 May 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3975642)   #59
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That looks to be the end. I can't see him taking a seat lower down the grid.

An odd career. Weird to think he looked like smashing all the records at one stage.
Old 12 May 2020, 07:22 (Ref:3975645)   #60
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me, another multiple champion with numerous questions, only ever won seriously in a car with an obvious advantage, never really got on at all with the turbo cars and like his best mate, a driver who employed dubious tactics at times?

Would he by in my, anybodys top 5? No
Old 12 May 2020, 07:38 (Ref:3975646)   #61
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
That looks to be the end. I can't see him taking a seat lower down the grid.

An odd career. Weird to think he looked like smashing all the records at one stage.
I'm with you on that. Ferrari taking on LeClerc was, I think, not the motivating factor that they may have thought it was.

Listening to him rant over the last couple of seasons seemed to show that as a team they'd already "lost the dressing room", so to speak. Again.
Old 12 May 2020, 07:48 (Ref:3975648)   #62
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
i am stunned, Vettels is a young (32) 4xWDC
with the right attention he should be able to get ferrari up to where they need to be, but LeClerc i think is the favored son there, and that is all that needs ot be said, they didn't want vettel to blow it, but he didn't really deliver.
it could be the might of M-B and hamilton pairing is just too much.
Alonso was unable to get the Ferrari over the championship line first, and I think everyone would agree that Alonso is overall a better driver than Vettel.

Vettel had 2 issues - he didn't suit the turbo cars. And Ferrari were never good enough to clinch the deal. Either of these issues on their own is a dealbreaker. Combine them and you get the mess he is in now. When things are "just right", Vettel is unstoppable. When they aren't, he's above average at best,

And I'll say this now - I don't think Leclerc will win a title with Ferrari without significant changes to the management team. The only post-Schumacher title at Ferrari was heavily helped by a McLaren melt-down.
Old 12 May 2020, 08:08 (Ref:3975651)   #63
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does Vettel not suit the turbo cars? He put in one of his best seasons in 2015 when the turbo cars were a little more crude than they are now and the Ferrari was merely solid.

That was, of course, the Ferrari honeymoon period. The pressure was less, the car was solid and it was all about improving on that awful 2014 campaign for both driver and team. 2016 brought more expectation and the first signs of the cracks, culminating in the four time champ and certified nice guy verbally abusing an elderly race director on live TV. Things have never been as good as they were during that first year at the Scuderia, not even close.

I think you have just seen his natural level, by and large. An undoubtedly very good driver who was elevated with the blown diffuser concept. Look at his performances relative to Webber when the diffuser was restrained: the two of them suddenly seemed to inhabit the same solar system.

I will miss him if he goes. He is a nice and interesting guy on the whole. But he has been seriously flattered by that 2010-2013 period. He was never on the level of Alonso or Hamilton and probably not even Jenson Button or Nico Rosberg. We will look back at his career and see four world titles but we will also see him running scared from two fights within the teams he liked to think were all his.

We will also reflect on the odd amazing drive. On his day he could actually set the benchmark, but there are numerous drivers you could say that about who fizzled out in a similar manner.
Old 12 May 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3975668)   #64
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Who replaces him then?

Alonso? Not sure I would risk pairing him with Leclerc, could be quite combustible.

Ricciardo? A good bet, but would it just be another situation like he had with Max at Red Bull?

Mick Schumacher? Come on, this is a serious seat.

Nico Hulkenberg? Hardly likely.

Not so long ago a young and daring talent turned down a factory drive to set off on a path to Ferrari. Is this Romain Grosjean's time? Maybe not.
Old 12 May 2020, 09:45 (Ref:3975669)   #65
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Who replaces him then?

Alonso? Not sure I would risk pairing him with Leclerc, could be quite combustible.

Ricciardo? A good bet, but would it just be another situation like he had with Max at Red Bull?

Mick Schumacher? Come on, this is a serious seat.

Nico Hulkenberg? Hardly likely.

Not so long ago a young and daring talent turned down a factory drive to set off on a path to Ferrari. Is this Romain Grosjean's time? Maybe not.
Be very interesting. You’d think Ricc and Huelk might be two choices.

But DR didn’t like being #2 to the chosen one before and went to The Regie for the big money, so not sure how much Ferrari might pay him - although driving for them, from his ancestral country, may be attractive.

Huelk would likely be a stopgap if that happened.

Gio also has to be under consideration although that doesn’t look like the strongest pairing right now.

They might even bring The Kimster back!
Old 12 May 2020, 09:47 (Ref:3975672)   #66
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sainz to Ferrari
Russell to McLaren with Merc backing
Vettel to Renault
Ricciardo to ?
Old 12 May 2020, 10:07 (Ref:3975676)   #67
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Webber to Renault surely?
Old 12 May 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3975679)   #68
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Webber to Renault surely?
One for the old-timers.
Old 12 May 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3975682)   #69
S griffin
Veteran

They need to look through the whole grid, as they need a strong lineup to get back to winning reguarly
Old 12 May 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3975683)   #70
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I should be perma-banned for that in all honesty.
Old 12 May 2020, 10:24 (Ref:3975684)   #71
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Given how well both Alonso and Vettel did with Ferrari I wouldn't say it was either driver's fault that titles weren't won.They only really did well when they could run unlimited testing at Fiorano and sheer persistence led to a car with performance.Without the benefit of 300 days a year developing on track and having to compete with teams that are better able to arrive at a circuit with a car that is already very close to optimised for the venue they just don't perform as well as their vast resources ought to allow.Its hard to see that changing with a budget cap.I'm not about to write Vettel off.
Old 12 May 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3975685)   #72
S griffin
Veteran

I’d say they weren’t ready to cope with Ferrari’s ways, but Ferrari do seem to be on a slide down at the moment. They will get back, but it will take time. I don’t see the prospects for this season looking good. Vettel could be out before the season ends
Old 12 May 2020, 10:33 (Ref:3975688)   #73
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Sainz to Ferrari
Russell to McLaren with Merc backing
Vettel to Renault
Ricciardo to ?
Williams to oblivion?

I’m not sure the Norrises would accept Russell though.
Old 12 May 2020, 10:43 (Ref:3975690)   #74
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I should be perma-banned for that in all honesty.
Well, it made me laugh. So yes you probably should
Old 12 May 2020, 11:09 (Ref:3975694)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some very interesting comments from Vettel in this article about his departure from Ferrari.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...n-vettel-split