Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 May 2000, 23:57 (Ref:10924)   #1
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've just read the list of electronic sensors specifically banned, and the 'knock sensor' is one of them.

Surely this will result in engine reliability problems.

F1 Engines are, by their very nature, extremely highly stressed for a short period. The limiting factor for any engine's power output is it's maximum timing advance. Designers are unlikely to 'back-off' the timing to preserve the power unit. So, if the engine management system is unable to detect knock or 'pinking', I would assume there are likely to be a greater number of detonation-type engine failures.

What do you think? Will teams run engines at 98% in order to make the finish line, or go hell for leather and hope it all holds together?
Old 6 May 2000, 05:36 (Ref:10925)   #2
enzo
Racer

enzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I don't find this as being a big problem, at least from the viewpoint of the spectator. As an engineer, it is a problem since you would be severly limited in your ability to extract max performance reliaby. Very frustrating when you know what a simple chip can do for you that can't be done mechanicaly.

Everyone today is very spoiled by the reliability of modern components that they forget that once upon a time drivers & engineers had to plan race stategies according to the mechanical reliability limits the were stuck with. Drivers actually had to conserve tires, clutches, brakes, etc, & the smartest driver usually won, not the smartest group of engineers !
Old 8 May 2000, 23:19 (Ref:10926)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Could detonation explain JB's engine failure so deep into the race?

I wondered if it let go either because;
1. The team leaned off the mixture (for low fuel consumption and hence no splash 'n' dash) and therefore increasing heat/detonation, or;
2. The lack of knock sensor, coupled with extra heat and revs down to spinning 'gone-off' tyres could have resulted in detonation and upper cylinder failure.

It amazes me that BMW, with an engine that's described as heavy and down on power was performing as competitively as it did (for both RS and JB). It makes you wonder if they allowed a little more advance and/or revs!

What other diagnosis would you give?
Old 11 May 2000, 00:45 (Ref:10927)   #4
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*slapz head*...I had written out this entire diatribe on electronics in F1..pressed the submit button, and was informed I had entered the incorrect password..."please hit your back button"..only to find everything I had typed was wiped..TECHNOLOGY!!!!

To cut a long story short...electronics are the go..most definately...anthing that monitors a cars performance should be allowed, no questions asked.

We are not in the dark ages anymore, lets hope the F1 can continue to utilise new technology to keep motor racing at the front of development and advancement.

Cheers!

p.s. good to see you back Sparky

[This message has been edited by Diabando (edited 11 May 2000).]
Old 11 May 2000, 07:30 (Ref:10928)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

And good to see you back Ms Diabando!!!
Old 11 May 2000, 19:53 (Ref:10929)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its not an easy answer any more. Today, simple road cars like Hondas and Nissans employ more computing power to manage the engine than some countries had just 15 years ago. Are we to return to the days of Solex and Weber carburettors in the name of simplification? Do we allow the techno-geeks to run rampant until only the programmer knows where any illegal driver aids are located or exist?

The only true way to limit the electronic suites used by the teams these days are to require them to be common program that all of the teams can use. That would be only way to properly police it. Unforunately no one could possibly agree on just one software package.