Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 20 Dec 2001, 09:19 (Ref:187945)   #1
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timing Transponders

I see from The Grid website that the main UK clubs are doing their timing in 2002 via on car transponders. Has anyone else heard about this?

I don't suppose for a minute that the race entry fees will go down because of this though, even though they can save on a few human timekeepers not being hired!

Apparently it's also supposed to be wired into the car's electrics...have they seen the electrics on a Ford!!? I have enough problems keeping the fan going!
Old 20 Dec 2001, 09:26 (Ref:187946)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Compulsory and £ 160 + vat to you squire
Old 20 Dec 2001, 15:32 (Ref:188037)   #3
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Unreal! Club racing goes hi-tech.. Maybe this is a direct result of all the whinging that club racers have done this year about dodgy timing..

What worries me is - will the system be reliable? What are the timekeepers going to do now?

Do you keep one transponder for the whole season then? Or are they dished out at sign-on for every meeting? If I run two cars, will I need to buy two transponders? I can feel my wallet cringing.
Old 21 Dec 2001, 07:48 (Ref:188333)   #4
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How big are they? I race professional radio controlled cars, and the transponders we use are about the size of a 50p coin. No doubt the ones you use are bigger. Are they AMB too?
Old 21 Dec 2001, 08:26 (Ref:188334)   #5
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Presumably the transponder also determines your qualifying position on the grid and race result. I may have to go back to my ACME/Wacky Races manual to build an extending pole (say - several car lengths long) with the transponder mounted on the tip, that can be extended just before crossing the start/finish line...think of the lap times, would it be legal?!!
Old 21 Dec 2001, 18:58 (Ref:188509)   #6
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, they are made by AMB, and they are bigger. Probably comparable to the size of a pad of post-it notes (sorry, nearest object of a similar size! )

What you want, Dom, is a rocket-propelled transponder launcher, so that when you are in sight of the finish line, you can fire the transponder over all the other cars and claim pole/victory. I wonder if the regs state that the transponder has to be attached to the car when it crosses the line ?

Old 23 Dec 2001, 11:36 (Ref:189025)   #7
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Better than that Chris, don't bother racing. Just stand by the timing beam and sweep the transponder over it every minute!
Old 28 Dec 2001, 11:39 (Ref:190320)   #8
Nick Sanderson
Rookie

Nick Sanderson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had to use transponders in 2001 on the XR2's. They cost us a fortune and all competitors had to buy one. One good thing is that it did stop arguments as they time us to a thousandth of a second and are reliable. They did not speed up the issuing of qualifying/results sheets though.

To be honest though, for club racing it is just another unecessary expense - ours cost £185 each.

If you race two cars, you only need one transponder. Each one has it's own unique serial number - you just have to let the timekeepers know.

If you don't buy one yourself, our organizers (SMRC) hire them for £35 a shot so you might as well buy one anyway if you are doing the whole season.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 10:22 (Ref:191397)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Are timekeepers paid, or are they volunteers like the marshals? I never know who gets paid and who doesn't these days. I know the doctors and paramedics get paid by the club, but not too sure about timekeepers etc.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 13:41 (Ref:191449)   #10
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here

I always thought they did get paid, because they're classed as officials.. I could be wrong about that though..

I guess when we all have transponders, there will be a need for people to look after the equipment. I wonder if these will be the same people?

And will there be a 'manual backup' - say one or two timekeepers to manually time the laps should a transponder fail?
Old 30 Dec 2001, 14:53 (Ref:191491)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think there will be manual back up Chris, transponders have been known to fail in the past.

We have a training day coming up in February so I will try and find out whether they are paid or not and let you know.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 19:31 (Ref:191606)   #12
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats more expense

£160 !!!!!!!!!!

Thats a race entry
Old 30 Dec 2001, 19:33 (Ref:191609)   #13
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They are paid.
at sprinting and hillclimbing at least (i know for deffo)
think its £50 + travel. so not much really.
think for national events they may get more tho as they have to be certified higher.
Old 30 Dec 2001, 23:37 (Ref:191736)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
As I said, we have a marshals training day coming up in February at Brands and so I will ask the guys there. Any of you drivers fancy coming along and giving a little chat to the marshals?
Old 31 Dec 2001, 10:53 (Ref:191862)   #15
Steve Higgs
Rookie

Steve Higgs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the item we got at theGrid said that the transponders will save money on timekeepers. Entry fees are going up by @£5 to cover an increase in insurance.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 11:32 (Ref:191872)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In Australia, the timekeepers are unpaid volunteers, just like the flaggies, firies and scrutineers.

Several years ago we had digital transponders thrust upon us, $500 each (approx. GBP 170).
Old 3 Jan 2002, 10:27 (Ref:193134)   #17
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Often the timekeeping is done by MST and they charge commercial rates, if the club is providing it's own timekeepers they usually get a token fee and travel expenses I think.

Stephen - I'll contact you about the training day.

Got to agree with everyone else, another £160 gone and for what, more bureaucracy and PC ! this is supposed to be a weekend hobby for some of us...
Old 3 Jan 2002, 13:28 (Ref:193212)   #18
hingsts
Rookie

hingsts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Are timekeepers paid, or are they volunteers like the marshals? I never know who gets paid and who doesn't these days. I know the doctors and paramedics get paid by the club, but not too sure about timekeepers etc.
Doctors and Paramedics do get paid (typically £150 per day plus travel and any equipment used) the crews of the Rescue Units do not though. The Unit is paid but this goes to the upkeep/replacement costs, not the crew.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:09 (Ref:193242)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I think the Motor Racing Safety Fund also contributes towards Rescue Units, or their replacement costs.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:10 (Ref:193243)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Sorry Hingsts, I forgot to welcome you to Ten-Tenths and the forums!
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:13 (Ref:193246)   #21
hingsts
Rookie

Thanks,

The MSF does indeed contribute along with many other kind sponsors. To be honest the amount raised from event fees is a drop in the ocean when a replacement costs in excess of £30k.

Regards

Simon
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:15 (Ref:193248)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I take it you work on a rescue unit then and if so, which one?
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:17 (Ref:193249)   #23
hingsts
Rookie

I do indeed, Lace Rescue from Northamptonshire. You won't see us at the circuits though as we're a Rally Rescue Unit. May change this year though.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:30 (Ref:193255)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ahh I see. I'm normally found at Brands Hatch as I only live about 15 minutes away and quite often I'm the Observer at post 6, the exit to Druids or thereabouts.
Old 3 Jan 2002, 14:35 (Ref:193259)   #25
hingsts
Rookie

I see,

We tend to restrict ourselves to the Midlands and Wales. Having said that we've been down south to a few MSA events this year.
Our claim to fame this year is having Colin McCrae in the back on the Network Q. Also appeared on ITV news after Mr Sainz's incident as it was the only footage they had, unfortunately it was actually us leaving to go home!