Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 28 Aug 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1079797)   #1
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mitsubishi going, going, gone

Well it has been well documented that Mitsubishi are in trouble world wide. Here in Australia they announced they are closing down there engine plant at Tonsley Park. It seems that is only the beginning.

In the last month more than half a dozen Mitsubishi dealerships have closed there doors. And there is apparently a lot more to come. Seems puzzling too me that a company building cars in Australia would get rid of dealers just before the most important model in its Australian history is released.

I think that Mitsubishi are heading for a very bleak future and I feel really sorry for anyone who currently has the misfortune to be in a Dealership with all this uncertainty in the air
Old 28 Aug 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1079805)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Mitsubishi going, going, gone

Quote:
Originally posted by colinbond
I think that Mitsubishi are heading for a very bleak future and I feel really sorry for anyone who currently has the misfortune to be in a Dealership with all this uncertainty in the air
I also feel sorry for those people who paid full rent for the new Magna, and have these seriously discounted prices shoved in their faces....

My Magna is not worth 1/2 what I paid for it
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Aug 2004, 10:26 (Ref:1079830)   #3
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey colin, can you get me a Magna like yours?
Old 28 Aug 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1079914)   #4
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mitsubishi will recover, Nisssan were in real trouble 5 years ago, but they've had a real turnaround since then.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1079922)   #5
Morris 1100
Veteran

Nissan got taken over by Renault
Mitsubishi was going to be taken over by Daimler/Chrysler but they pulled the plug.

Mitsubishi has had big problems with management in Japan that thinks that problems should be hidden and not fixed, they recently sacked some management in the Fuso (truck) division that thought a problem with wheels falling off trucks would go away by itself. A wheel killed a woman on a footpath and the bungle came out into the open.
All because they didn't want a recall.
Not the first time with Mitsubishi.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 01:20 (Ref:1080276)   #6
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
Hey colin, can you get me a Magna like yours?
You can get mine if you want cheap
Old 29 Aug 2004, 09:20 (Ref:1080433)   #7
Morris 1100
Veteran

How cheap?
Old 29 Aug 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1080435)   #8
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can't be that cheap.

Last edited by Bomn; 29 Aug 2004 at 09:24.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 19:12 (Ref:1080841)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mitsubishi will be VERY lucky to see out the next few years - DaimlerChrysler have all but said toodle-oo and they're having to rely on the new Colt being a success and a rescue package of about $2 billion from their other investors.

It's a dicey, ballsy move but it relies on a sound economic climate over the next few years and a great deal of discipline for the Mitsubishi top chaps.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 19:25 (Ref:1080848)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think British women stopping buying those huge 4 x 4's to run their little darlings to school has not helped. Has been getting bad press lately in the UK and even Ken Livingstone has threatened to double the congestion charge on 4 x 4's going into London. big shame though as I always thought Mitsubushi made a fine vehicle.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1082716)   #11
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be a real shame if MMC go down. They have given the world some really cool cars.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1083657)   #12
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3000GT, Evos?

Last edited by Mattracer; 1 Sep 2004 at 10:55.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 1 Sep 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1084063)   #13
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evos are very cool and provide incredible performance for the price.They can easily run at 380 bhp in a reliable manner and scare most Porsche and Ferraris on the road with the superb handling provided by the active yaw control and active diffs on the newer models.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 01:13 (Ref:1092448)   #14
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hyndai buy engines off mitusbishi for their Accent, getz and something else if memory serves, also hyndai vans and trucks are just rebadged mitsubishis over here.

The new colt is selling well here in ireland, so prospects seem good. Just hope reliability problems dont become a problem which hampered some of the batch of the last colts (big end pully bolts sheering off seems to be the big one).

The Pajero Sport is a horrible yoke i hate it, the L200 is a heap of **** too!!

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 11 Sep 2004, 23:24 (Ref:1093334)   #15
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mitsu in the US have been denying warranty items to Evo owners who take part in Autocross events.They have been checking internet sites and identifying owners.If the owners then go to a dealer for a warranty item,they find they've been blacklisted. This for a car that Mitsu advertises as a high performance race car for the street !
They show all these exciting ads highlighting the Evo's racing heritage,but the minute you drive around a few cones,you're abusing the car ! Go figure....

Last edited by fast95pony; 11 Sep 2004 at 23:24.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 06:37 (Ref:1093678)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mitsu have just about offed themselves in the states due to a disasterous decision a few years ago to market exclusively to young people(who have no money). They offered a 0 down payment, 0% interest and no payment for 1 year deal which plenty of consumers grabbed(and then defaulted when the 1st payment was due a year later). Talk about killing your cash flow. Whoever at mitsu came up with that idea needs to be driven as far out into the australian outback and left.

Problem they have now is they are broke, but don't really have good enough product to draw buyers.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1095299)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
Mitsubishi has had big problems with management in Japan that thinks that problems should be hidden and not fixed, they recently sacked some management in the Fuso (truck) division that thought a problem with wheels falling off trucks would go away by itself. A wheel killed a woman on a footpath and the bungle came out into the open.
All because they didn't want a recall.
Not the first time with Mitsubishi.
Where to start with Mitsubishi. They are a diabolical company with diabolical products. They'll be doing everyone a favour if they call it a day.

We made the mistake of buying one of their lorries at work and if I told you that we have laid it up only to be used in cases of dire emergencies I'm sure you'll get the idea about how we feel about it. It has been recalled more times than I care to remember - worryingly it is brake connected everytime - surely they can get that sort of thing right after the fourth or fifth recall? It has blown an engine, blown a gearbox and blown a turbo.

It had a front blow out (which ripped the side panels off as well as severing brake lines, smashing headlamps and popping the rad) and we had to park it up for six weeks whilst Volvo Truck & Bus (they were contracted by Mitsubishi to maintain the commercial vehicles) got the parts from Japan to repair the damage. Shortly before they arrived Volvo told them to poke it and we were left without a dealer. Shortly after we had to start all over again with Mercedes Commercials who took on the maintainence side of the Mitsubishi business. We were fleeced on labour charges and, 2 and a half months after it had the blow out the thing was back on the road... just in time for the ever present problem of locking rear brakes to rise up again when an Alfa 156 cut us up on the A34 passing Didcot... you can imagine the result!

Anyway it was put back on the road and, apart from a couple of weeks last summer, it has been confined to the yard ever since. Oh, in those two weeks it first crawled to a halt with an overheating problem and then snapped a drive shaft... on the same day!!

It is an abortion of a vehicle and an abortion of a company. Good riddance.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:06 (Ref:1096233)   #18
Morris 1100
Veteran

The Australian arm of Mitsubishi is building very good quality cars but it took a while to get the quality up there.
The first localy built cars were rubbish but they have come good in the last ten years. It is a pity that they are going to get imported engines instead of the localy built ones since they are closing the engine plant.

Last edited by Morris 1100; 14 Sep 2004 at 12:08.