Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 19 May 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3904751)   #76
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
They’d also have all week to pay Andretti to build them a new car...
Old 19 May 2019, 21:37 (Ref:3904753)   #77
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Alonso has left the building.
Did Ron Howard write the script?
Old 19 May 2019, 21:49 (Ref:3904754)   #78
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Question is who is going to end up on the Kaiser car come Sunday now? Personally hoping a sponsor woo wants to leave it bare and let the look continue but think we'll see a wrap on it by the weekend.

All of ECR (2,3,4 I believe) was close but Pag turned everything down and the engine up this afternoon it seems. So much for the pressure at Penske making him crack
Old 19 May 2019, 21:57 (Ref:3904756)   #79
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was some discussion in the commentary about how McLaren swung a list-ditch deal with Andretti to adopt their damper program and setup... desperation indeed. It seems to have made Alonso faster, but not fast enough.

No idea where Kaiser and Juncos found all that speed. I hope this success turns into some sponsorship for them.
Old 19 May 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3904759)   #80
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
There was some discussion in the commentary about how McLaren swung a list-ditch deal with Andretti to adopt their damper program and setup... desperation indeed. It seems to have made Alonso faster, but not fast enough.

Something must have been lost in the translation. I didn't see the warm-up this morning but the car was said to have been bottoming heavily. To me that means he probably didn't get any laps on the final qualifying setup before the run started.
Old 19 May 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3904760)   #81
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Something must have been lost in the translation. I didn't see the warm-up this morning but the car was said to have been bottoming heavily. To me that means he probably didn't get any laps on the final qualifying setup before the run started.
That's what Autosport.com was reporting as well.

https://www.autosport.com/indycar/ne...ore-alonso-woe
Old 19 May 2019, 22:39 (Ref:3904764)   #82
mstets
Racer

Pretty solid runs by all of the fast nine, particularly Pagenaud and Herta. I really expected one of the Carpenter cars to be on pole.
Old 19 May 2019, 22:52 (Ref:3904766)   #83
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gah the track looked drenched so I turned off, and all this has happened! Does this mean that the triple crown attempts are over now?
Old 19 May 2019, 22:55 (Ref:3904767)   #84
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Gah the track looked drenched so I turned off, and all this has happened! Does this mean that the triple crown attempts are over now?
The car is entered, not the driver. Nothing to stop a deal being done to put Alonso in another car that qualified.
Old 19 May 2019, 23:42 (Ref:3904768)   #85
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
The car is entered, not the driver. Nothing to stop a deal being done to put Alonso in another car that qualified.
I just feel that would result in some ill will in the press. I do undrrstand Alonso's fame, but he is not a seasoned Indy Pro who got out of step and missed the show, and is using privilege to buy into the race, especially if it was Juncos they were dealing with.

I am an Alonso fan, but I would have a sour taste if he gets in by 'doing a deal.'
Old 19 May 2019, 23:53 (Ref:3904770)   #86
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Speculation already moot: motorsport.com has Zak Brown of McLaren saying they won't buy in, and Ricardo Juncos saying they (Juncos) are racing next weekend.

Good!

I hope some good sponsorship for the race goes Juncos' way. (I imagine they are too!)
Old 20 May 2019, 00:15 (Ref:3904775)   #87
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I just feel that would result in some ill will in the press. I do undrrstand Alonso's fame, but he is not a seasoned Indy Pro who got out of step and missed the show, and is using privilege to buy into the race, especially if it was Juncos they were dealing with.

I am an Alonso fan, but I would have a sour taste if he gets in by 'doing a deal.'
Agreed. SPM didn't do it last year to get Hinchcliffe in and he was a regular. Wouldn't be good PR for McLaren to consider it this time...
Old 20 May 2019, 00:29 (Ref:3904777)   #88
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a thrilling week at Indy and for Juncos. They made the race before, but this time they are doing it without a backer, that changes the perspective. Congratulation to them and to Kyle.

The question now is, could they get those components that made the primary car so fast? I hope they get a sponsor now at least to cover the amount spent on the race. They got the attention for sure, maybe it will open some doors to keep racing.
Old 20 May 2019, 01:54 (Ref:3904781)   #89
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
If I understood correctly, Alonso was using a Carlin car instead his primary McLaren car. Does that mean: a road-course car?
O'Ward was also using a road-coarse car after he crashed his oval car.
I'd be surprised if Carlin had a spare oval car for Alonso but not for themselves.

Hinchcliffe on the other hand has an oval car to try and qualify.

At least, that's how I understood it ?
Are drivers allowed to use a road coarse car, the aero configuration and the geometry is completely different?
Old 20 May 2019, 02:09 (Ref:3904783)   #90
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post

This is good for IndyCar. Proves it ain’t easy.
I agree with this, and think it is good for IndyCar not to have great drivers make the big race. It creates buzz before the race, but hopefully this translates into people actually watching the race.
Old 20 May 2019, 02:12 (Ref:3904785)   #91
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Are drivers allowed to use a road coarse car, the aero configuration and the geometry is completely different?
I meant to ask a version of this earlier...aren't the differences between oval and road course all bolt on, or are there differences all the way down to tub level?
Old 20 May 2019, 02:18 (Ref:3904786)   #92
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On the plus side, there are going to be some diecast for sale CHEAP.
Old 20 May 2019, 02:23 (Ref:3904787)   #93
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I meant to ask a version of this earlier...aren't the differences between oval and road course all bolt on, or are there differences all the way down to tub level?
Quote:
The chassis are identical and think a majority of the parts are as well. It's the fine tuning that makes it an oval car. It's the seams, massaging the bodywork so it's as smooth as possible, the bearings, making sure they are absolutely perfect, the shocks, the package must be perfect and spot on. It sounds like most teams started on the oval car over the winter and built it from the start for Indy. You'll never get that time back, especially shown when you look at Kaiser at the sharp end until that car was wrecked.
Old 20 May 2019, 02:23 (Ref:3904788)   #94
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
On the plus side, there are going to be some diecast for sale CHEAP.
You can get yourself a discount McLaren
Old 20 May 2019, 03:04 (Ref:3904789)   #95
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The chassis are identical and think a majority of the parts are as well. It's the fine tuning that makes it an oval car. It's the seams, massaging the bodywork so it's as smooth as possible, the bearings, making sure they are absolutely perfect, the shocks, the package must be perfect and spot on. It sounds like most teams started on the oval car over the winter and built it from the start for Indy. You'll never get that time back, especially shown when you look at Kaiser at the sharp end until that car was wrecked.
So much of that sounds like bolt-on parts that you would have spares for, and which could be bolted on to another tub.
Old 20 May 2019, 03:35 (Ref:3904791)   #96
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The chassis are identical but the aero configuration for road coarse and superspeedway is quite different, as is the suspension setup

https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/IND...-Configuration

Also with the superspeedway configuration, there are two slots, at the front of the floor, either side of the chassis, which are there to prevent the car getting a airborne.

Old 20 May 2019, 06:09 (Ref:3904799)   #97
mstets
Racer

Quote:

I'm not clear on all the differences either. Surely the tub is the same. Must be some things other than the obvious aero stuff that are different. There was a reference in the NBC coverage that there are even different uprights for the speedway cars. Surprising to me as even in the CART era when the rules were much more open, we ran the same uprights for all events. Wonder if Dallara has a website with a parts list.
Old 20 May 2019, 06:17 (Ref:3904801)   #98
mstets
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
If I understood correctly, Alonso was using a Carlin car instead his primary McLaren car. Does that mean: a road-course car?
O'Ward was also using a road-coarse car after he crashed his oval car.
I'd be surprised if Carlin had a spare oval car for Alonso but not for themselves.

Hinchcliffe on the other hand has an oval car to try and qualify.

At least, that's how I understood it ?

The McLaren/Carlin car was surely prepared with all the speedway bits, whatever they amount to.
Old 20 May 2019, 06:27 (Ref:3904802)   #99
mstets
Racer

Quote:
The chassis are identical but the aero configuration for road coarse and superspeedway is quite different, as is the suspension setup

https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/IND...-Configuration

Also with the superspeedway configuration, there are two slots, at the front of the floor, either side of the chassis, which are there to prevent the car getting a airborne.

How many of the cars that hit the wall looked like they were going upside down but didn't? I don't understand how those slots work but they sure seemed to be effective this week. In Hinchcliffe's crash it looked like the right rear hit the pavement first when he was airborne and rotateded the car to land right side up. A couple of the other cars seemed to right themselves by magic.
Old 20 May 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3904817)   #100
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The rear wing is tiny.