Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 18 May 2007, 21:06 (Ref:1916288)   #1
Geva-Nelson
Racer

Netherlands
Geva-Nelson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impressive at Indy

There have been some impressive results at Indy these past few weeks.

What to think of John Andretti, coming back from a lenghty retirement. He has just done a 222.830 and sits 9th our of 31 at the moment.
Jon Herb and Marty Roth are really looking like they belong at Indy, both of them running well, even though Herb crashed earlier this week.

Phil Giebler has had limited running but just did a 220.992.

All in all pretty impressive. Ryan Briscoe appears to be quick for raceday... lets hope he can do well at indy.

Who has impressed u guys??
Old 18 May 2007, 21:13 (Ref:1916291)   #2
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i never thought I would say this but I have been impressed with Marty Roth today

Jon Herb has also been quite good and it would appear that these two guys have nothing worry about tomorrow if they keep this up

I think the last few positions will be between Barron, Jones, Moreno (replacing Gregoire), Duno, Hearn (if thats confirmed)

anyways, this is my last message on Ten Tenths

enjoy the Indy 500 everyone

Good bye
stradlin
Old 18 May 2007, 21:21 (Ref:1916294)   #3
Geva-Nelson
Racer

Netherlands
Dont forget Jimmy Kite.

hopefully not the last ever post u'll do Which entry would Richie Hearn drive? Shame for Gregoire, wasnt doing too bad 'till he went into the wall.
Old 19 May 2007, 02:46 (Ref:1916458)   #4
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
word is that Richie Hearn bought Jon Herb's backup car (the one he wrecked last week) and is bringing it to Hemelgarn to engineer and crew as the #91. The car was originally a Hemelgarn car and was the one PJ Chesson drove at St. Pete last year.
Old 19 May 2007, 11:39 (Ref:1916645)   #5
Geva-Nelson
Racer

Netherlands
Could that be a threat to Kite? He is the slowest after all after Alex Barron managed to squeeze 215 mph out of his car as oposed to 213mph for Kite.
Old 20 May 2007, 23:29 (Ref:1917564)   #6
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too bad for PJ Jones and Jimmy Kite today. Capable drivers with poor equipment, I'm glad they didn't get hurt trying to make The Show.
Old 21 May 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1918288)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've covered this in my column this week, but I thought Hearn's run after being in the car for just a few hours was phenomenal...

Barron topping 220 after spending a lot of time in the 215-217 range also was superb....especially with the limited time he had on the track.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 21 May 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1918392)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's with the rumor about Honda catching teams blowing methanol into the motors and reporting them to the irl. Apparently the irl sent out no-no letters to all involved. That may explain sudden bursts of speed.
Old 22 May 2007, 08:57 (Ref:1918571)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thats sounds very interesting , havent heard anything about it but if its true I'd sure like to hear more
Old 22 May 2007, 16:52 (Ref:1918904)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/37531/
Old 22 May 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1918943)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The IRL probably fined the offenders, but according to this article, it did not have an impact on qualifying since it was caught in the first week of practice.

At least that is the way I understood it....

Old 23 May 2007, 01:59 (Ref:1919193)   #12
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh well.

At least things are competitive enough that people need to get an edge...eh?
Old 23 May 2007, 02:57 (Ref:1919203)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
According to the Indy Star, Dreyer & Reinbold was the offender, and the blamed it on an inexperienced crewman who put an old can of fuel in the car for a practice run along with the ethanol....thus it allegedly got it from the fuel tank...at least that is the way it was reported....

There was water in the mixture, which "could" have corroborated the story, and which led to a $25,000 fine, plus the costs to Honda to deal with the engine..

I'll let you decide....It "might" have happened that way, but both water and the methanol would have cooled the air going into the intake via evaporation, thus it would've given them more horsepower, as RM stated....

Either way. the IRL stated that they check the fuel before a car is allowed to qualify....so it is making a mountain out of a mole hill....thanks, Robin...

I hope you hit the lottery someday, since you apparently like to gamble, so that you can buy out TG and the Three Amigos and save the OW world forever....

Better yet, when you do, call Bobby Knight or Jeff George and have either one of them run OW racing for you as the "Racing God" while you continue to do what pays your salary...

Especially since they, too, love you so much!!!!

Your are such a pleasure to read each week....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 23 May 2007 at 03:00.

Old 23 May 2007, 15:10 (Ref:1919608)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Why would d and r have a old drum of methanol in the garage at indy. Doesn't sound right.
Old 23 May 2007, 15:39 (Ref:1919629)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
sounded strange to me, too...but that is what was "offically" reported by Brian Barnhart

Old 23 May 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1919757)   #16
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
sounded strange to me, too...but that is what was "offically" reported by Brian Barnhart
That sounds odd as the difference between Methanol and Ethanol is not big enough that a blend will give any great boost; BUT (pure speculation) one can go down to any good hobby shop, and pick up a quart of pre-mixed alcohol/nitro for use in model airplanes. Mixes varying from five to thirty percent nitro.

As I said, speculaton.
Bob
-
Old 25 May 2007, 11:28 (Ref:1920961)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Either way. the IRL stated that they check the fuel before a car is allowed to qualify....so it is making a mountain out of a mole hill....thanks, Robin...
But Tim the rules were broken regardless of when and where. Its a big story and one that was reported as such. A result of breaking the rules is headlines and attacking the reporter seems an odd choice in all this.

Robin Miller is forthright with his ideas and opinions. Whether you agree or disagree with them, you wont more ideas the better to help OW racing.