Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:03 (Ref:786245)   #1
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Life Line for McRae?

Hi,
Im new to the `Rally` side of this Forum as i've been focusing on the Touring Car side of things.

Anyway, what I'd like to say is that with the result of Burns being forced out of the 2004 World Rally Championship, I was thinking...is this a life line for Colin McRae?

Colin is without a drive, known to Subaru and with Subaru now knowing they need another driver for next year, Colin would be right for the job. I also feel that Richard would like seeing McRae take over his drive for just that one season...seeing as they are good friends (I think).

Anyway, do you agree or disagree?
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:15 (Ref:786255)   #2
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
depends on fords decision. if they decide not to run, m martin has to be first choice...
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:16 (Ref:786258)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome to the other side, Spark!

Burns and McRae are great rivals, and have been known to wind each other up somewhat with the odd pointed remark, particularly during past Rally GBs! But I believe they do respect each other immensely, and I think Richard would be happy to see Colin in his seat.

I'm absolutely sure Subaru - now they know the news - will approach Colin. Then it'll be up to him - will the temptation of a drive at Subaru be enough to overrule his desire for a break? Would the circumstances be right? Does he really want to be just 'filling in' for a year, knowing that if fit Richard will have his seat back in 2005?

Only time, and Colin, will tell.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:33 (Ref:786276)   #4
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the welcome.

On the subject of Ford...i'd be very surprised if Ford withdraw from the WRC. They have only just brought out their new car, which hasnt been fully developed yet and by what we all saw this year is a future championship winning car.

I think if Subaru gave Colin the call, it would be a great offer and im sure like I said earlier Richard would want Colin to take it.

Just remember, you heard it here first
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:56 (Ref:786330)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well it's to early to tell, but remember Dave Richards is chairman of Prodrive (who run the Subaru program) and also owns the TV rights to WRC, and it is well know that he has been trying to keeping Colin in the championship......
Old 17 Nov 2003, 19:15 (Ref:786365)   #6
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Bob Irvine.. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope so.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 19:55 (Ref:786418)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Subaru would be mad not to try to get McRae, and he'd be mad not to take the drive if offered. My impression was that his 'sabbatical' was dictated by force of circumstance rather than a desire for a break. After all, he expected to stay with Citroen for 2004.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:07 (Ref:786553)   #8
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both McRae and Burns had meetings with Prodrive prior to Burn being announced so I would expect Colin to get a call soon.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 18 Nov 2003, 03:55 (Ref:786733)   #9
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is a call between Martin and McRae then it should be Martin. McRae has admitted he is glad this season is over as he no longer has the urge. Drivers like that belong in retirement! McRae has had two lacklustre seasons whereas Martin is getting better and better! I am afraid the McRae magic is gone.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 07:25 (Ref:786781)   #10
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
If it is a call between Martin and McRae then it should be Martin. McRae has admitted he is glad this season is over as he no longer has the urge. Drivers like that belong in retirement! McRae has had two lacklustre seasons whereas Martin is getting better and better! I am afraid the McRae magic is gone.
Drivers can loose the 'urge' when things don't work out or the team atmosphere or whatever doesn't suit them - I'm pretty sure that Colin wouldn't have lost the urge if he'd been leading the WRC or if Citroen had chosen him for his skill rather than Carlos for his money (and skill - I do rate him)
Old 18 Nov 2003, 07:35 (Ref:786784)   #11
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at the facts, McRae has not been performing for a while now and his results all season have been less than what I would expect from him. Carlos has shaded McRae this year, Loeb wiped his bottom with him. I think the old mucker has lost it, I really do. We will see next year I suppose.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 08:10 (Ref:786808)   #12
Bob Irvine..
Racer

Bob Irvine.. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for"2 lacklustre seasons"he did win rallys last season.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 11:13 (Ref:786939)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Colin needs a break - he's said as much himself. He hasn't enjoyed 2003. But it's amazing what a call for help from your old mates can do.

Having said that, for Subaru and Prodrive's ambitions - now that the car seems to be competitive again - given the choice I would certainly choose Martin over McRae.

There are two problems though - would Martin go to Subaru just to borrow Burnsy's seat for a year? And what happens towards the end of the season when Petter and Martin are fighting it out for the title?!
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:20 (Ref:786996)   #14
racingdad
Veteran

Who says that Martin is available?????
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:40 (Ref:787015)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racingdad
Who says that Martin is available?????
He will be if Ford decides to shut down their WRC program - they are supposed to make a final decision soon. Sources, however, say that Ford will soldier on, despite a 30 percent budget cut.

As usual, time will tell.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:42 (Ref:787019)   #16
racingdad
Veteran

Exactly, so no point in speculating on whether Pro Drive would prefer him to McRae, unless they want to buy him out of his Ford contract
Old 18 Nov 2003, 12:55 (Ref:787038)   #17
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Colin has signed to drive in the Paris - Dakar with Nissan, see http://www.worldrallynews.com/cgi-bi...9148876,61208,

That finishes mid-Jan so it'd be Sweden at the earliest. It'll be interesting to see whether he sticks to the palns for a saabatical whatever.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:00 (Ref:787052)   #18
racingdad
Veteran

He has also agreed terms to do Le Mans, but as with all of these things, there are always get out clauses. If he is locked in and did complete Paris Dakar he'd only miss the Monte Carlo Rally - not a huge problem.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:09 (Ref:787066)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering it's Colin McRae we're talking about here, I'd say chances are quite high he will be out of the Paris-Dakar well before the finish though
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:14 (Ref:787073)   #20
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Considering it's Colin McRae we're talking about here, I'd say chances are quite high he will be out of the Paris-Dakar well before the finish though
Nah - not a lot to hit in the Sahara - and lots of room for offs - I have run support on the Paris -Dakar
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:30 (Ref:787100)   #21
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
We'll see - obviously I'm hoping Colin will do well (especially since our very own Tina Thorner will be riding shotgun), but at the same time I won't be the least surprised if he sends his car rolling at some point during the event.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:59 (Ref:787134)   #22
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here you can see Mcrae's new car that brand new Nissan Pick-up Dakar prototype that he will drive in december in South-Africa for the fisrt time,awesome! I can't wait till the Dakar begins!! Also I highly doubt that he will sign with Subaru WRC now.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 14:07 (Ref:787140)   #23
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by alonso11
Here you can see Mcrae's new car that brand new Nissan Pick-up Dakar prototype that he will drive in december in South-Africa for the fisrt time,awesome! I can't wait till the Dakar begins!! Also I highly doubt that he will sign with Subaru WRC now.
He's only signed up for the one event, leaving his options open for the rest of the year
Old 18 Nov 2003, 14:09 (Ref:787142)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes he said that he wasn't interested in doing a season of raids. However the Dakar is a very special event.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 17:19 (Ref:787322)   #25
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a very good chance that McRae will go with Subaru. The decision was between him and Burns in the first instance and Citroen only chose Sainz for marketing reasons.

Guy Frequelin was quoted recently by Autosport as stating "How can you chose between Colin McRae and Carlos Sainz? In the end it came down to marketing...It was a marketing decision, certainly not a driving decision. These new regulations made things very, very difficult for me and I am sorry to lose Colin."

With regards to the supposed overlap between the Dakar and the Monte Carlo Rally, Jimmy McRae told The Herald newspaper today that while tight there is still time between the end of the Dakar and the begining of the Monte RECCE - not the begining of the Monte itself. Granted the Dakar could over-run but as it stands right now, there is no reason why Colin cannot do both.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/4767.html

And who exactly is claiming that McRae "hasn't been competitive for a while now"? What is your definition of a while? A couple of months? If so does that mean Burns was not competitive given that he hasn't won a rally in two years?! Come on - get real.

Last edited by jock25; 18 Nov 2003 at 17:21.