Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Oct 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2315281)   #1
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
marshalling skills relevant to job application

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for a job application...the specific question is "Describe one example that has increased your understanding of team working. Describe your role and how you contributed to the team. What have you learned and how will you apply it to your future work?" It specifically asks for an outside interest, so I thought my few years of marshalling experience would be perfect! Its very PC and supposed to be so you can prove you are an interesting person with a variety of skills, etc, etc!

However...I am useless with words and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what sort of skills I could write about? Has anyone else ever used marshalling as something to talk about in a job application/interview?

Thanks,
Old 18 Oct 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2315284)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by staid davenport
I am useless with words and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what sort of skills I could write about?
The answer's in the question:

"Describe one example that has increased your understanding of team working. Describe your role and how you contributed to the team. What have you learned and how will you apply it to your future work?"

Just apply that to marshalling, either in general or, probably better, with reference to a specific incident.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 16:47 (Ref:2315348)   #3
Geraint
Rookie

Wales
Bridgend
Geraint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would suggest you say about your role by looking out for fellow marshals backs and keeping calm under a stressful time. If that is any help.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2315413)   #4
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually used a marshaling incident for my NEBS management course.
Called it "the team works" and described an incident from an accident happening, what the marshals on the post did, before even going to the car.(several jobs all at once all interdependent on each other) What the marshals did at the actual scene. carrying it on to where the driver reached the Medical Centre
Old 18 Oct 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2315421)   #5
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by my ucas personal statement
communicate with the drivers non-verbally by strategic use of hand signals
I suppose you could also talk about teamworking and commitment (also used in my personal statement)
Old 19 Oct 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2316046)   #6
baldtom
Racer

England
West Sussex
baldtom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dunno if this will help but i used this in my application for Surrey Police and I got the job so it might be of use, not a specific example but id just think of a large incident where you were on post and explain how you acted in conjunction with the flag marshals instructions, the observers comments, and backed up your colleagues etc

In my spare time I am a volunteer motorsport marshal. Through this pastime I have demonstrated excellent team working skills. When an incident occurs, marshals rely completely upon other team members to ensure their own personal safety. This can involve warning colleagues of oncoming vehicles, or by backing up a colleague with a fire extinguisher in case of a sudden fire. Effective communications are critical. These vary from hand signals to request urgent medical attention for a driver, to using a portable radio clearly and effectively, to writing detailed reports after a serious incident.

A critical part of marshalling is the ability to assess risk, for example, making instant decisions whether it is safe to continue a race after an accident or where oil has been spilled on the track.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 19:16 (Ref:2316115)   #7
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An excellent example well put baldtom. I've had my work as a marshal on my CV for years and cite it in interviews as evidence of my committment to team working.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2316420)   #8
AR-CoolC
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincoln
AR-CoolC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a recent interview I had (where I got the job) I talked about my marshaling in the "other interests" section.

Mentioned about the ability to step into a group of people you've never met before and work as an effective team from the off. After a quick post breifing we all know our roles and what to do in any situation that arrises.
Old 21 Oct 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2317446)   #9
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Excellent. Thats all good stuff guys, thanks a lot! Now all I have to do is write the stupid thing...