Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 May 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2688049)   #26
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great vid and great race, Al. You were kind to the green Dolly when you came up to lap the white Saab for the first time.
Old 10 May 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2688067)   #27
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
those Saabs are great!
Old 10 May 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2688198)   #28
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks guys, I may be a bit too cautious but when you are fixing and funding it yourself I would rather race like that in these old cars.
Old 10 May 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2688319)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Here you go for anyone is interested, the final part of the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ePzT8Cjpe4
Old 11 May 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2688355)   #30
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Here you go for anyone is interested, the final part of the race. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ePzT8Cjpe4
Great angle on the mirror Al.

So if the engine is now how you want it is it time to see what you can squeeze from the suspension?
Old 11 May 2010, 06:07 (Ref:2688427)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well its not exactly standard as it is and I have developed it since 1990 when I built the car otherewise it would'nt be going round there like it is, unfortunately we build to a set of regs and also have to run very heavy infact believe it or not the car is all original steel panels with no massive lightening, original glass etc and I was a tad underweight even with my bulk onboard! Ideally the biggest improvement I could make would be fabricated upper wishbones but they would'nt be allowed as you simply cannot wind on enough caster/camber on the original set up. Adjustable shockers may help but it already has Konis alround that are adjustable but not instantly and another competitor fitted coil overs on the front and recons they are legal and convinced the committee and with it but in my mind its outside the spirit of the rules so I dont really want to do it. I did do a couple of mods last year that made a major improvement and will keep chipping away.
Old 11 May 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2688804)   #32
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Enjoyed the clips, although not seen all the first one as it locked up......but I do understand what you say about the sound There was a TransAm racing with us at Brands and that sounded meaty as it blasted past the pits......

Your car does seem a bit of a handful - you've obviously learnt how to manhandle it over the years

But I really must try to get to one of your rounds - there's such a mixed bag of cars...
Old 11 May 2010, 19:42 (Ref:2688809)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
It doesnt like the Dunlop Formula R's its a different beast on better rubber.
Old 11 May 2010, 23:23 (Ref:2688942)   #34
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I did notice a certain amount of tyre squealing, wondered what rubber you were on.........
Old 11 May 2010, 23:38 (Ref:2688946)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
It doesnt like the Dunlop Formula R's its a different beast on better rubber.
That's really where I was coming from Al. It looks like it is intolerant of small changes of approach and not easy on the tyres.

Now if that is a tyre based challenge I suppose the question is what could you do, legally and relatively easily, to tweak the suspension to at least better suit each of the tyre options you have to run on during the season? I realise that is probably much easier said than done.
Old 12 May 2010, 07:03 (Ref:2689038)   #36
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the problem seemed to get worse as the lap's went on,could it just be over inflation when the tyres are cold?
Might be worth using Nitrogen?
The Silver 'Dolly' was Tim Clarkes car,obviously pretty good at what he does! He is a race instructor ,apart from being one of the best in the business of looking after cars in the Spa 6Hr!!

Last edited by terence; 12 May 2010 at 07:10.
Old 12 May 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2689086)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The silver Dolly was an immaculate, beautiful little car. Seemed a nice bloke as well. I was thinking exactly the same on the nitrogen thing as I have always had this problem, if i go out with under inflated tyres its all over the show for the first few laps then comes strong towards the end, set them higher and they fade towards the end.I have a BOC account do you know if i would be able to purchase a bottle from them for the purpose?

Yes Grant ideally in this car I would like to change the top wishbone for an aftermarket one that has better angles built in, apparently it helps enourmously with understeer as it enables a lot more camber, caster and camber gain but rules is rules! I could also do tyhe Guilstrade mod which I am convinced every 1st gen running out there has done which lowers the mounting point of the upper wishbone, again illegal and exceptionally illegal in Apps K!!!! so I will pass on that although having said that the 2nd gen angle is better as it was addressed by the factory so really the 2nd gen legally should handle better. It achieves the same as the Mustang mod (also illegal and undetectable at a quick glance) that lowers the top mounting point an inch by redrilling the fletch panel (bet they have all done that as well lol!) I changed to a smaller rear anti roll bar and that has helped quite a lot, I may undo it and try without it next.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 12 May 2010 at 09:43.
Old 12 May 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2689283)   #38
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, it might be worth a phone call to them. There are quite a few Tyre companies who offer it now though.
Old 12 May 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2689335)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It helps stabilise pressures in dCR65's I'm told

my old rears are so shot they struggle to hold anything . . . if I hadn't spent all he the time and beans on engines I would have remembered to buy some new ones !!!!
Old 13 May 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2689889)   #40
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It will do the same for any make Joe.
Old 13 May 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2689915)   #41
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Be nice to have my own facility though.
Old 14 May 2010, 06:29 (Ref:2690159)   #42
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
It will do the same for any make Joe.
obvoiusly Terry! but as CR65's struggle to hold anything over atmospheric with their knicker thin side walls, every little helps as they say.

anyway, I'm on a suspension tweaking session ahead of Brands.