Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Apr 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2679448)   #26
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
But this is HISTORIC racing we're talking about and I don't seem to recall rolling starts in period.
Yes of course OT again! Grey matter stirring Spa 1000kms 73? Definitely not 72, though almost, 2x2 grid, famous for two mechanic's trying to push start a 911 as the flag dropped in the middle of the grid Can Am starts, and a couple of Euro 2litre rounds were rollers, if memory intact
Old 25 Apr 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2679456)   #27
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like I'm on a loser on this one, then.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2679466)   #28
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
as a matter of interest when did Le Mans do away with the trot across the track, and did they go straight to rolling starts or were there a few years of grid starts in between?
Old 25 Apr 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2679488)   #29
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
as a matter of interest when did Le Mans do away with the trot across the track, and did they go straight to rolling starts or were there a few years of grid starts in between?
The last Le Mans to start with the driver running across the circuit was in 1969. The 1970 race started by having the cars arranged in the same formation as with previous races, however, drivers were already in the cars when the starting signal was given. A rolling start was used from 1971 onwards.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2679528)   #30
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
The last Le Mans to start with the driver running across the circuit was in 1969. The 1970 race started by having the cars arranged in the same formation as with previous races, however, drivers were already in the cars when the starting signal was given. A rolling start was used from 1971 onwards.
Forgot that one, Ickx walked across in protest at the 'Le Mans' start in 69?
Old 25 Apr 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2679564)   #31
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes he was last car away and he went through to win.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2679621)   #32
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
From observation over many years I agree with all the comments about safety (and I'm sure, mechanical sympathy) but there are some circuits which do not have a startline position/layout which is optimum for delivering a safe and fair start. In the UK Donington must be the worst example followed perhaps by Thruxton.

Just a comment; I'm not sure there is a remedy.

Regards

Jim
I think this is the first time we've ever disagreed Jim . In Masters series races, we've had some of the best, fairest and regulated rolling starts in over 3 years at Donington - I always put that down to the 'chicane' just before the startline and the subsequent short entry of the pace car into the pit lane entrance.
I'm always anxious to listen to competitors views but I believe that my views seem to be vindicated.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 07:18 (Ref:2679737)   #33
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite agree John,the position of any slowish corner certainly doe's make for better Rolling Starts.Far easier to control,but there is still the problem of competitors lacking the ability of actually Reading Regs/Listening to whats being said during the Pre-Race briefing.After reading through Pieters Reg's,sound's as though he has some good ideas on the matter,certainly should make the drivers take note?
Old 26 Apr 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2679741)   #34
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am - like Gordon - in both camps here. I like the safety of the rolling starts but they do lack any excitement and whilst most of my racecraft is extremely average I can start quite well so I prefer static but my wallet prefers rolling!
Old 26 Apr 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2680024)   #35
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im still licking my wounds from a pretty nasty just off the start shunt at Snetterton.
OK my car isnt particularly historic but it is (was) in sort of period Rover Dunlop Cup livery.
Anyhow for what its worth heres a few personal opinions of starts.
Standing starts are ok if everyone gets away and shows some respect.Often this is sadly lacking because...

Someone wants to win from a lowly grid position by the first corner.

Reprimands should be issued for drivers who take to the grass to try and gain places.

In 2 driver races sometimes the start is made by the slower of the 2 drivers and car is gridded by the quicker driver .

In a mixed field some cars have LSDs and some of the faster cars dont resulting in vastly different getaway speeds. As do mixes of RWD and FWD cars.

The shunt Iv just had was due to some argy bargy going on out of my sight. Id passed the cars involved but one of them speared off and into the rear side of my car which spun me round through the field into the barriers.Then I was hit hard in the door by a car having its own seperate accident.
I think a rolling start would have saved this.
OK we all love a good start and its all part of the fun but we do need to stay safe!
Old 26 Apr 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2680121)   #36
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I like Standing Starts, and have done well from them to date

I can see the Rolling argument and don't object in the lightest but I've yet to be involved in one which was anywhere near sensibly observed.

having said that, one of the last standing starts, I did the front 3 where in 2nd gear before the lights went out . . .nice thing was they kept the panel damage contained!
Old 26 Apr 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2680148)   #37
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin, the first three points you make could still happen under a rolling start.

I have to say I'm not yet convinced of the safety aspect and will be looking at the race reports of Masters Series races very keenly in the future.
As a matter of interest has anyone done a study of the safety aspects of standing and rolling starts?
Old 26 Apr 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2680154)   #38
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I wish CTCRC would introduce rolling starts, I have asked many times.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2680166)   #39
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
personally I've seen more misdermeanours with rolling that standing.

I'm with morningents, its part and parcel of racing historically

as a minor aside, the general state of tune of most historics does lean toward a rolling start, powers up 50% . . . . but then you've got a modern gearbox and halfshafts to suit I guess!
Old 27 Apr 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2680381)   #40
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Rolling starts - Er No Thanks.

This is one of the most important parts of a race. Alot of the skill of making a good or having a crap start is lost here and the you have all this stuff about being hard to interpret when you can go or not (will always be someone going b4 you!).

Yep daft.

The start is the bit where you really feel alive, with blood pumping hard, because it is more dangerous, but then Motorsport IS.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2680477)   #41
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sort of with Jellison on this, although I only have a 50/50 standing start success rate, the new clutch should help with that. I have only experienced a couple of rolling starts, at Spa, and didn't much like them as the front half of the grid was miles away by the time the midfielders - who had bunched up and virtually stopped at the chicane - got themselves together, leaving a lot of distance to make up. Maybe this is all down to education, at the briefing there was a lot of confusion about the rules.

Standing starts are an inherent part of historic racing, and an entirely seperate skill, I love 'em.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2680490)   #42
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Sort of with Jellison on this, although I only have a 50/50 standing start success rate, the new clutch should help with that. I have only experienced a couple of rolling starts, at Spa, and didn't much like them as the front half of the grid was miles away by the time the midfielders - who had bunched up and virtually stopped at the chicane - got themselves together, leaving a lot of distance to make up. Maybe this is all down to education, at the briefing there was a lot of confusion about the rules.

Standing starts are an inherent part of historic racing, and an entirely seperate skill, I love 'em.
Good point on the very quickly spreading out issue, and if the race is not "that" long you could be buggered trying to make it up after some johnny has just "cheated" at the start (and it is not like this if F1 where you are going to be closely checked on this stuff and get penalised). You qualify to start and equal distance apart in that order AND (for me) the sckill or lack of it is a Huge part of the race itself. The Mental first lap dash to and run to the first corner is greatly dimished by rolling starts (only done a few - Rockingham), but not right in my book - yep might be saver - but if you want it real save - try cooking.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2680505)   #43
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree. Iv only done one rolling start and running midfield I gunned it and everyone in front slowed down.....
Its just the way Im feeling at the moment but your right its the start that makes it.
When youv been hammered about like I was a week last Sunday cookery lessons do seem the sensible option but hey. I can live on beans on toast.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2680690)   #44
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
And that wouldnt have happened with a roller Col.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2680718)   #45
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of points i'll make whilst sitting firmly on the fence.

It seems logical to me that cars approaching the first corner off a rolling start are traveling faster than off a standing start.They all want to be first into that corner.
How is this safer?

I would say the adrenaline level was pretty much the same for either type of start.

Personally, neither type of start would phase me. I ride classic scrambles (motocross). 30 bikes in a line into the first corner,get that wrong and it hurts!!
Old 27 Apr 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2680745)   #46
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
adrenaline levels are completely different in my experience, standing starts are great

although strictly the preserve of sprint races, theres no point for an hour + race

colin said "Maybe this is all down to education, at the briefing there was a lot of confusion about the rules"

I'm not sure, to my mind it merely highlights how many people don't pay attention and/or aren't intelligent enough to understand basic rules . . . its pretty f***ing basic as far as instruction goes . . . . should they be racing ? or put another way, is there a clerk in the land with testicles large enough to pull 10 cars in for a 30s stop go just to make the point !!!
Old 27 Apr 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2680753)   #47
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
That may be true Zef but accidents like Colins startline one and the time I hit a similar Rover up the backside and wrote off his shell as he pulled across me avoiding a stalled car would have been avoided with a roller also its far more kinder on components I would have them everytime of a standing start.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2680779)   #48
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
I ride classic scrambles (motocross). 30 bikes in a line into the first corner,get that wrong and it hurts!!
Yes it does, and I had the tyre marks for weeks to prove it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Apr 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2680780)   #49
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I also think it makes sure more cars get into the race without silly start line stalls or hot engines cutting out and refusing to fire back up.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 21:33 (Ref:2680799)   #50
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
.....colin said "Maybe this is all down to education, at the briefing there was a lot of confusion about the rules"

I'm not sure, to my mind it merely highlights how many people don't pay attention and/or aren't intelligent enough to understand basic rules . . . its pretty f***ing basic as far as instruction goes . . . . should they be racing ? or put another way, is there a clerk in the land with testicles large enough to pull 10 cars in for a 30s stop go just to make the point !!!
Great post Zef !