Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3920359)   #1401
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
No different from alternating the German GP between Hockenheim and the Nurburgring
Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:04 (Ref:3920369)   #1402
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Why dont they run all the races on one variable track?.
Would save a fortune on travelling.
Just change the signage and scenery for each race,a few fake palm trees for the Middle Eastern GPs,a few stuffed kangaroo's for the Aussie GP.leave the sprinklers on all weekend for the British GP and build a wall through the middle of for the US GP.
Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3920377)   #1403
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Why dont they run all the races on one variable track?.
Would save a fortune on travelling.
Just change the signage and scenery for each race,a few fake palm trees for the Middle Eastern GPs,a few stuffed kangaroo's for the Aussie GP.leave the sprinklers on all weekend for the British GP and build a wall through the middle of for the US GP.

Will acts that infringe on human rights be allowed at any of the rounds?
Old 30 Jul 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3920379)   #1404
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Will acts that infringe on human rights be allowed at any of the rounds?
Have you ever bought a beer at a Grand Prix? The prices infringe on basic human rights at many of them
Old 30 Jul 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3920385)   #1405
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Have you ever bought a beer at a Grand Prix? The prices infringe on basic human rights at many of them
a single beer? i thought that price was for a pint and a 15% share in the brewery...
Old 30 Jul 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3920386)   #1406
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OTOH buying a beer at an American circuit represents an insult to the term "beer".
Old 31 Jul 2019, 05:17 (Ref:3920486)   #1407
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching the interview with Murray Walker that Motorsport Magazine has posted on YT and he brought up a very good point, F1 is simply too complicated technically to make it an easy to follow sport. He did not say it but it is a problem that new viewers will encounter and then say it is all too hard then walk away. His point from his POV was that to try following a race without informed commentary is near impossible even for an educated viewer. I can't watch any F1 broadcast due to Geographic reasons on TV but it would be interesting to see a live broadcast without sound and try to follow what is going on. Simplifying F1 might be the first step if his comments are to be taken seriously.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 06:06 (Ref:3920492)   #1408
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I was watching the interview with Murray Walker that Motorsport Magazine has posted on YT and he brought up a very good point, F1 is simply too complicated technically to make it an easy to follow sport. He did not say it but it is a problem that new viewers will encounter and then say it is all too hard then walk away. His point from his POV was that to try following a race without informed commentary is near impossible even for an educated viewer. I can't watch any F1 broadcast due to Geographic reasons on TV but it would be interesting to see a live broadcast without sound and try to follow what is going on. Simplifying F1 might be the first step if his comments are to be taken seriously.
I watch it in Albanian and can't understand a word of the commentary, they even talk over the pit to car radio. However, since I know what's going on anyway I don't find it a problem. But I think the point is well made that unless you understand the penalty system, the rules about componentry and the tyres etc., you won't stand a chance. For example, where's the real world logic in penalizing someone for changing an engine?
Old 31 Jul 2019, 07:01 (Ref:3920495)   #1409
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Good point. Basically, the barrier to entry is too high. The commentator shouldn't have to explain tyre rules, DRS rules, engine rules, grid drops, knock out qualifying etc. If you go back to the 90s, it was certainly simpler to watch. Not saying it was better, but for sure the barrier to entry was lower.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 07:31 (Ref:3920498)   #1410
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I can't watch any F1 broadcast due to Geographic reasons on TV but it would be interesting to see a live broadcast without sound and try to follow what is going on. Simplifying F1 might be the first step if his comments are to be taken seriously.
Travelling for work in Europe in between 2006 and 2014 I watched many a Grand Prix with commentary not in my native tongue.

It was difficult to follow, but as more on-screen information appeared it did get easier to follow.
Old 31 Jul 2019, 15:08 (Ref:3920552)   #1411
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree that it's got a bit too complicated now. They should just have cars that are easy to follow and if we must have grid drops, let's make them easy to understand. Let's also while we're at it get rid of the compulsory two tyre per race rule and make track limits less of an issue by having more proper run offs
Old 31 Jul 2019, 20:22 (Ref:3920592)   #1412
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can you explain "more proper run offs"?
Old 31 Jul 2019, 23:16 (Ref:3920603)   #1413
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Can you explain "more proper run offs"?
To me a run off should punish driver error, Monaco barriers leave no room for error, the wet drag strip in Germany punished driver error and we ended up with a good race. Properly prepared gravel traps close to the racing line that trap errant drivers would be good.

Racing is supposed to be a competition between drivers and the circuit, by making the run offs part of the circuit that can be used with impunity you remove the skill from the competition, and further advantage the best cars.

In Germany without the wet drag strip run off the Mercs would have finished first and second followed by Max and Vettel, same old.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 01:56 (Ref:3920608)   #1414
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Leclerc should have been in there as well.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 12:37 (Ref:3920654)   #1415
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
To me a run off should punish driver error, Monaco barriers leave no room for error, the wet drag strip in Germany punished driver error and we ended up with a good race. Properly prepared gravel traps close to the racing line that trap errant drivers would be good.

Racing is supposed to be a competition between drivers and the circuit, by making the run offs part of the circuit that can be used with impunity you remove the skill from the competition, and further advantage the best cars.

Agreed. There's something rather pathetic about drivers whining about how slippery the run-off areas are when the whole point is not to end up in them. We don't need bigger or grippier run offs, as you say, we should have run offs that penalise mistakes.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 12:49 (Ref:3920655)   #1416
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought the runoff this past weekend (particularly the bit that was part of the drag strip) was particularly interesting. There are many factors that would make it hard to replicate, the largest of which was the fact that it was wet. But I found that having a very slick part of the run off directly out of the track boundaries was particularly punishing to the drivers.

I can see some advantage to a graduated set of surfaces. A first surface is designed to be punishing to the driver from a laptime perspective. Maybe this is a very low grip surface that prevents using that part of track for regular runoff and easy "immediate" reentry. Getting multiple wheels off may result in a spin for example. This is followed by a more high grip section to allow for more car control and slowing. Then gravel and finally a barrier as a last resort to stop a car.

I realize this suggestion is generally not particularly practical overall given the number of require components as well as I don't think there is a solution for my "low grip" section that works in all required conditions. But the idea being that drivers would be afraid to exit track boundaries, but that if they do so, it's not quite as punishing to hardware as a crash barrier.

Richard
Old 1 Aug 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3920656)   #1417
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I can see some advantage to a graduated set of surfaces. A first surface is designed to be punishing to the driver from a laptime perspective. Maybe this is a very low grip surface that prevents using that part of track for regular runoff and easy "immediate" reentry. Getting multiple wheels off may result in a spin for example. This is followed by a more high grip section to allow for more car control and slowing. Then gravel and finally a barrier as a last resort to stop a car.
Is that not some of the philosophy behind the 'zones' at Circuit Paul Ricard?
Old 1 Aug 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3920659)   #1418
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just have grass and a barrier.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3920661)   #1419
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I watched the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio last weekend and apart from rumble strip on the corners and a couple of gravel-traps, it's just grass and armco. All the drivers managed to stay more or less within the track limits. If they got a bit wide on the rumble strip, it kicked up a bit dirt.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3920668)   #1420
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Is that not some of the philosophy behind the 'zones' at Circuit Paul Ricard?
I had to look that up. Yes, I think it is. It sounds like they have solutions for the progressive grip level,s but I am assuming that just off track the grip level is normal? I think what made this past weekend interesting is that grip just off track was MUCH worse than on track. I know some places have used artificial turf to create a durable, but slick (lower grip) "grass". But I think those have had mixed success from a durability perspective??? I am very much NOT well read on this topic.

Richard
Old 1 Aug 2019, 13:46 (Ref:3920670)   #1421
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Broadly speaking I am fine with that. I think most classic tracks are like this. I wonder about the more modern tracks that have engineered runoff that has been approved due to it being high grip? My point being... can grass runoff conversations be done at many newer tracks that don't already use it?

Richard
Old 1 Aug 2019, 13:50 (Ref:3920672)   #1422
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I was thinking the same. But the point remains, why have good grip off the track? It only serves to permit off track overtaking etc. The problem of course is that if there is no grip the driver is exposed to a full on crash. This is what happened to David Purley in 1977 at Silverstone.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3920673)   #1423
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I had to look that up. Yes, I think it is. It sounds like they have solutions for the progressive grip level,s but I am assuming that just off track the grip level is normal? I think what made this past weekend interesting is that grip just off track was MUCH worse than on track.
Yes - that is where the Ricard model differs slightly from your thoughts.

Having a surface that is extremely slippery just off track can be achieved with grass, but when dry does not seem to hinder a car much. And when wet, can lead to both dirt being brought onto the track, and cars digging in and rolling over.

I think what you are suggesting would be something like this:

Having a strip of those roughly a metre wide, placed just outside of the white lines wherever a corner has external kerbing, and damped down during the race would definitely keep drivers on track.
Old 1 Aug 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3920678)   #1424
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I think what you are suggesting would be something like this:

Yes. I had not seen that before. The Eutit skidpan looks interesting.

Quote:
Having a strip of those roughly a metre wide, placed just outside of the white lines wherever a corner has external kerbing, and damped down during the race would definitely keep drivers on track.
I think the problem is that they require wetting. Which is a stiff requirement with potential negative side effects such as water working onto the track surface and creating unsafe issues for a "dry" race. Not a problem for auto testing facilities, but I expect it would be a problem for competition use.

Clearly something that can just be put in place and it works "as is" is ideal. And as you mentioned, grass is not perfect either. I expect if a better solution existed, someone would have invented it by now.

My requirement list is large.... Slicker than the track surface in all conditions, no special treatments needed (i.e. wetting), durable and lastly... cost effective.

I suspect nobody has come up with a better solution than what you suggested. It worked this past weekend because of the water off track on a surface that was particularly slick when wet.

Richard
Old 1 Aug 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3920679)   #1425
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Do remember that bikes run on these circuits too, and they have slightly different characteristics on some surfaces.

My question way back up thread was actually aimed at Mr griffin, anyway...