Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 26 Jul 2002, 04:49 (Ref:343121)   #1
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mbd lmp07 suspesion

why is there a thrid dampner on the front of the lmp07 instead of a metal rod connecting like the other cars have? just the adjustability of it or?

and, how exactly does the thrid spring here do anything? :confused:

Last edited by Es Nes; 26 Jul 2002 at 04:52.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 11:35 (Ref:343290)   #2
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suspension

I believe (I could be wrong), that both the Panoz and Lola system set up's are doing roughly the same job, just a different design.

They both allow you to control the amount of travel on the front of the car whilst braking / accelerating and cornering / uneven surface, and also make the suspension a linked system istead of a totaly independent system. This means when one wheel is forced up and the other is pushed down(LINKED) under certain loads.

1)The Panoz damper is mounted between two pivot points, which allows you to control the movement of both of the suspension units under braking / accelerating and cornering / uneven surface. A straight forward method of mounting.

2) The Lola system is only mounted different and includes a spring to control the amount of movement the suspension units have under the different types of load as in the Panoz, with the linked suspension pivot point being mounted on the centre of the damper, and not having the the damper between the pivot points like the Panoz.
This is probably due to weight distribution or space in the front of the car.

3)Spring is the suspesion, damper is there to stop the oscillations in the spring.

:confused: As clear as mud, I might be totaly wrong but this is my understanding of the system.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 12:06 (Ref:343312)   #3
Es Nes
Veteran

yeah, i understand (somewhat) the basics of some of the set up, but, why is mbd using a dampner instead of a metal rod that other teams are using?

and the lolas thrid dampner was said to be controlling fore/aft movement. but, i dont see how a dampner on the front attached to 2 solid points on the chasis
Old 26 Jul 2002, 12:38 (Ref:343341)   #4
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EsNes

Perhaps mbd find the front end of the Panoz is better being slightly more flexible than other teams set ups.

With the Lola, the two solid points on the chasis as you know rotate, which produces movement on the two outer dampers, and are linked to each other by the two push rods which run down each side of the centre damper on to the bar across the front of the centre damper.

This bar is centrally mounted on the centre damper, which I believe is the only mounting point for it (or maybe a swivel mount on the floor pan aswell). This damper acts only on the front suspension of the car, when an accelerating or braking force is applied to the front wheels, it is normally distributed evenly between both front suspension units. This means that when such a force is applied to the two push rods down each side of the centre damper, they are both pulling or pushing at the same time, which is applied evenly to the bar connecting them and thus the centre damper takes over from the outer two, controlling the amount of front end lift or dive.

When they say the centre damper is controlling forward and aft movement, they mean it is controlling the amount of weight transfer between the front and rear, and keeping the car more stable and parallel to the track.

Is that any better, its a bit hard to explain when you can't show what you are talking about. Egor
Old 27 Jul 2002, 00:12 (Ref:343739)   #5
Es Nes
Veteran

cool ... thanks