Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2468778)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[Speculation] Will Button take the record for most wins in a season?

Right now this fella is serene (and as an irrelevant aside, he seems like a lovely chap) and seemingly as at the top of his game as he's been, hence comments from his boss and father that he's surprising them. He looks to have the measure of Barrichello, as even when Barrichello starts the weekend the faster driver, Button hooks it up when it counts.

And that's another thing, he's coping well with that crucial qualifying moment of delivering the poles. He made that important move on Hamilton earlier in the season when he needed to make progress. Okay, we haven't seen him in a race-long wheel-to-wheel struggle yet (because he's made sure he hasn't needed to yet), but are we witnessing a driver on his way to the most wins in a season?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ns_in_a_season

Here you can see the stats. He would have Schumacher's 13 (in 2004) to beat. With 5/6 wins and 11 more races this year, he can afford to not win just 2 races. A tall order.

A fairer test might be a comparison with Schumacher's 2002 season (which, like 2009, had 17 Grands Prix). Schumacher won 11.

Yes, this is speculation, but we're allowed to sit here, maybe with a cup of coffee like me now and reflect on the stats and speculate.
Old 25 May 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2468801)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few points to add- I'm not confident he will attain this for the following reason: Many people are saying no-one but a Brawn driver will win the championship, but it's classic short-term thinking, because we have seen many a driver with such a lead end up with that entire lead evaporated before long, and that in a season with a much more dominant car.

This season, more teams are in within a shout. That those teams haven't won races yet (apart from Red Bull) is down to the master tactician and now apparantly, master team owner Ross Brawn who deserves a huge amount of credit. So I still feel, it's not a one-horse (i.e. team) race.
Old 25 May 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2468812)   #3
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
This season, more teams are in within a shout. That those teams haven't won races yet (apart from Red Bull) is down to the master tactician and now apparantly, master team owner Ross Brawn who deserves a huge amount of credit. So I still feel, it's not a one-horse (i.e. team) race.
The fact that more teams are in with a shout makes it more likely that Button will win it. As the development race continues Brawn may fall back into the clutches of the other teams (currently I am not betting on it!) but there is every chance the others will share the points and dilute their chance to catch up with Button.
Old 25 May 2009, 16:40 (Ref:2468844)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

That those teams haven't won races yet (apart from Red Bull) is down to the master tactician and now apparantly, master team owner Ross Brawn who deserves a huge amount of credit.
Ross Brawn says that he only steps in with tactics if need be,and so far hasn't found it necessary to change any decisions that the usual statisticians make.He didn't even make the change for Ruben's to go three-stops instead of two at Barcelona.He merely agreed with the decision to do that.Most of the decisions made so far have been fairly straight forward 'no-brainers' anyway.
Old 25 May 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2468857)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It wasn't Rubens strategy that was changed though was it; 3 stops was intended for both drivers, but Jense was changed to clear traffic whereas Ruens stayed on what was supposed to be the quickest way to the chequer but unfortunately he wasn't quick enough at an important phase in the race.

I don't think that Button will break the record for most wins in a season. He is sublime at the moment but can it go on? Ferrari are finally getting their act together and RBR are capable of winning once their strategy starts to pay off and they don't keep getting tucked up behind slower cars.
Old 25 May 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2468862)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
It wasn't Rubens strategy that was changed though was it; 3 stops was intended for both drivers, but Jense was changed to clear traffic whereas Ruens stayed on what was supposed to be the quickest way to the chequer but unfortunately he wasn't quick enough at an important phase in the race.
Thanks,got me strategies in a stress situation.

Point is still the same though.It was a team decision to change strategy.
Old 25 May 2009, 17:08 (Ref:2468869)   #7
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He could do it. Ferrari have taken a big chunk out of their gap but you can't really make huge strides regularly

And I don't see him being as generous as Michael too. He doesn't seem like the sort of guy who'd let Rubens win a race or 2
Old 25 May 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2468877)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post

And I don't see him being as generous as Michael too. He doesn't seem like the sort of guy who'd let Rubens win a race or 2
I can't imagine that RB would be too grateful of being 'gifted' wins again.
Old 25 May 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2468893)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I don't think that Button will break the record for most wins in a season. He is sublime at the moment but can it go on? Ferrari are finally getting their act together and RBR are capable of winning once their strategy starts to pay off and they don't keep getting tucked up behind slower cars.
Yes, I think the record breaking thing is a bit much but your second point about being tucked up behind slower cars is interesting. Would he struggle if he was in that position and therefore knowing that it spurs him on to those special qualifying laps?

Speed is mostly psychology (as Senna would have said "in the mind") and he seems to have his head together like no other driver at the moment.
Old 25 May 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2468895)   #10
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
He could do it. Ferrari have taken a big chunk out of their gap but you can't really make huge strides regularly

lol, that is the first time I have seen Michael described as generous.
Old 25 May 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2469024)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
He seems to have his head together like no other driver at the moment.
That's the thing that impresses me as much as his driving. Quite happy to give TV interviews on the grid, unlike another British driver last year.
Old 25 May 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2469095)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I keep expecting something to go wrong for Button, but things keep going right every race. Whether it's being on the right tyres at the right time, or making the best of inferior tyres, or other teams making tactical errors or having mechanical problems. Their only achilles heel so far has been wet weather performance, and even then only relative to Red Bull. However, the other teams are improving quickly, and at some point it will become about playing the percentages and settling for podiums. The title should be his, but I can't see the same domination forever.
Old 25 May 2009, 22:14 (Ref:2469116)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I don't think he will take the record but I would think (and hope) he will win the championship. As has been mentioned, the more teams that get it together improve Jensons chances as they take points off each other.
After Ferrari's showing at the last GP they must win sometime but lets not forget its the driver with the most wins that decide it this year.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 May 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2469146)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
lets not forget its the driver with the most wins that decide it this year.
Not anymore it's not.

Quote:
Quite happy to give TV interviews on the grid, unlike another British driver last year.
I find that a harsh assessment of Hamilton, as he may find it impedes his mental preparation.
Old 27 May 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2470126)   #15
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
That's the thing that impresses me as much as his driving. Quite happy to give TV interviews on the grid, unlike another British driver last year.
that would deprive his dad of the TV fame he coverts so much
Old 27 May 2009, 11:48 (Ref:2470149)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Whilst I find it refreshing to see a driver so relaxed and open prior to a race, I prefer not to condemn those that would rather keep distraction to a minimum.

Different sportsmen prepare in different ways.
Old 27 May 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2470155)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed.

Damon used to sit in the car with his eyes closed. Eddie Irvine and Johnnie Herbert were microphone junkies!
Old 27 May 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2470169)   #18
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I find that a harsh assessment of Hamilton, as he may find it impedes his mental preparation.
I tend to agree.

Hamilton had two great years with very good cars to help his first two years resulting in a WC.
This season everythings gone tits up, so it's a character-building year.
I think, long term, it'll make LH a better driver.

Button has been around a while and just seems to soak up the pressure and his state of mind and attitude are commendable.
I get the feeling after all his lean years he's just relishing the good times while he's got them and good on him.

Experience does count.

Cheers
P
Old 27 May 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2470179)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Agreed.

Damon used to sit in the car with his eyes closed. Eddie Irvine and Johnnie Herbert were microphone junkies!
Nelson Piquet used to be found enjoying a nap before a race! Unlike his son, who instead gets caught napping during the race.
Old 27 May 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2470195)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
And Mansell used to spend time in front of the mirror practicing exhausted grimaces!
Old 27 May 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2470223)   #21
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Nelson Piquet used to be found enjoying a nap before a race! Unlike his son, who instead gets caught napping during the race.
And Kimi Raikkonen, in his own words, is normally "having a ****"!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 27 May 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2470231)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
And Michael Schumacher, of course, used to eat babies before a race.
Old 27 May 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2470245)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran