Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Oct 2019, 16:53 (Ref:3937677)   #2001
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Big 10/4 to that, I am voting Brexit.
Old 30 Oct 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3937686)   #2002
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob and Viva, you're so right! Both of you. I could post on the relevant thread because on Sunday I got a 30" penalty for "some" contacts… WTF, it was fun and what are thirty seconds in a man's live? Noting at all.

What I see is that for a new passport I had to go to town house for my finger prints, fill a much complicated online form, wait several weeks and go back to town house to pick up the new passport. Not forgetting that the mandatory pictures must be taken by an officially registered "artist"! C'est ça la France d'aujourd'hui les mecs! Un truc qui marche mal et doucement!
Old 30 Oct 2019, 20:27 (Ref:3937713)   #2003
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Bob and Viva, you're so right! Both of you. I could post on the relevant thread because on Sunday I got a 30" penalty for "some" contacts… WTF, it was fun and what are thirty seconds in a man's live? Noting at all.

What I see is that for a new passport I had to go to town house for my finger prints, fill a much complicated online form, wait several weeks and go back to town house to pick up the new passport. Not forgetting that the mandatory pictures must be taken by an officially registered "artist"! C'est ça la France d'aujourd'hui les mecs! Un truc qui marche mal et doucement!
Good grief.

Last time I renewed my Passport I realised I was just short of a 6 month period of effectiveness needed for a trip to Munich. So much for free movement.

So I popped into one of those "take it yourself" booths, got the snaps, and the existing passport and the required form from the Post Office (iirc), popped over to Peterborough (nearest place to me and an opportunity to enjoy a road I had not driven for some years (ruined by straightening, speed cameras and traffic calming along with a greatly increased level of traffic, most of it dawdling). Had a quick meeting to hand over the paperwork and the excessive fee and allow people to check that it was me.

Then advised that it should take about 5 hours as expected so I had a chance to visit the centre of Peterborough - pretty much where the offices are located. Not worth the shoe leather.

However the Cathedral just around the corner is quite interesting and rather splendid whether one has any religious interest or not.

Wandered back to the office. The time overran a bit but finally got the docs, back to the car in the car park across the road and a drive home covering a few really nice driving roads with a slight detour to make it more interesting.

The Passport Office location helped with options to fill the time and so the day was not entirely wasted in that respect. I'm sure the process could have been handled more quickly on the day but it was pretty much as promised so can't complain other than having the travel costs and paying extra for the 'faster' service.
Old 31 Oct 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3937764)   #2004
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Good grief.

Last time I renewed my Passport I realised I was just short of a 6 month period of effectiveness needed for a trip to Munich. So much for free movement.

So I popped into one of those "take it yourself" booths, got the snaps, and the existing passport and the required form from the Post Office (iirc), popped over to Peterborough (nearest place to me and an opportunity to enjoy a road I had not driven for some years (ruined by straightening, speed cameras and traffic calming along with a greatly increased level of traffic, most of it dawdling). Had a quick meeting to hand over the paperwork and the excessive fee and allow people to check that it was me.

Then advised that it should take about 5 hours as expected so I had a chance to visit the centre of Peterborough - pretty much where the offices are located. Not worth the shoe leather.

However the Cathedral just around the corner is quite interesting and rather splendid whether one has any religious interest or not.

Wandered back to the office. The time overran a bit but finally got the docs, back to the car in the car park across the road and a drive home covering a few really nice driving roads with a slight detour to make it more interesting.

The Passport Office location helped with options to fill the time and so the day was not entirely wasted in that respect. I'm sure the process could have been handled more quickly on the day but it was pretty much as promised so can't complain other than having the travel costs and paying extra for the 'faster' service.
I had a similar trip to Peterborough a few years ago when a mate made a last minute decision that "we" were going to the Race of Champions in Bankock (and he was paying, so I couldn't say no). Due to the time of year I spent some of my time Christmas shopping (for obvious reasons, Mrs V had to be extra spoilt this year) and did pop into The Cathedral, but still spent a lot of time waiting for it to be time to collect my passport, but I got it in the end.
Old 31 Oct 2019, 10:50 (Ref:3937786)   #2005
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When Teresa May called a General election in 2017, she and virtually everyone else expected a Conservative landslide, the Labour party with a deeply unpopular leader in disarray, the liberals non-starters, it was a slam dunk.

But then came the Manchester bombing, followed by the knife attacks in London, and the whole emphasis shifted from Brexit to domestic issues.
Corbyn cynically seized the initiative and attacked the government on the economy, 'the cuts'. The NHS, Police, Security etc, with the result that May ended up with a minority government, and a resurgent Labour Party causing her a lot of trouble over Brexit.

I have always been surprised that no pundit, commentator, politician, ever picked up on this aspect of the election, simply saying the Mrs May had overestimated the Brexit appeal to voters.

I only hope we do not get a repeat this time around.
Old 31 Oct 2019, 10:55 (Ref:3937789)   #2006
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was also a serious lack of campaigning around the country. When she did venture out she was an unmitigated disaster. No personality and no vision.

If there's one thing this version has, it's a few characters who will look good on the hustings.

Also the policing and NHS has almost been solved as far as campaigning goes since Johnson has already allocated some serious sums. Where it'll come from is another matter, but it does kind of put a lid on the opposition's first line of attack.
Old 31 Oct 2019, 12:52 (Ref:3937799)   #2007
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Passport has just been delivered, it's the same size and colour as the old one, but doesnt have European Union as the top line, just the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Result
Old 31 Oct 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3937819)   #2008
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
New Passport has just been delivered, it's the same size and colour as the old one, but doesnt have European Union as the top line, just the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Result

Hmm.

But what happens if Brexit goes belly up at some point during the life of the passport? Will you need to renew again to get the newly "Correct" wording?

Old 31 Oct 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3937821)   #2009
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Doubtful the electronic info works all round the world. The EU thing was never a requirement AFAIK just a bit of team working. Unlike number plates.
Old 31 Oct 2019, 20:34 (Ref:3937852)   #2010
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>Corbyn cynically seized the initiative and attacked the government on the economy, 'the cuts'. The NHS, Police, Security etc, with the result that May ended up with a minority government, and a resurgent Labour Party causing her a lot of trouble over Brexit.

Bauble WTF do you expect someone to do? It's an election contest, not an "after you Claude" tea party. Nothing "cynical" about it but the man was actually behaving as the Leader of the Opposition for once.

The Opposition should oppose, question, examine and expose, otherwise we don't have a government but a committee - or worse!

And I say this as someone who sees Mr Corbyn as the second most odious Jeremy in the world

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Oct 2019, 20:50 (Ref:3937857)   #2011
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>Corbyn cynically seized the initiative and attacked the government on the economy, 'the cuts'. The NHS, Police, Security etc, with the result that May ended up with a minority government, and a resurgent Labour Party causing her a lot of trouble over Brexit.

Bauble WTF do you expect someone to do? It's an election contest, not an "after you Claude" tea party. Nothing "cynical" about it but the man was actually behaving as the Leader of the Opposition for once.

The Opposition should oppose, question, examine and expose, otherwise we don't have a government but a committee - or worse!

And I say this as someone who sees Mr Corbyn as the second most odious Jeremy in the world

Maybe there is more to my post than you are reading into it.
Old 31 Oct 2019, 21:25 (Ref:3937863)   #2012
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nope, can't see it. But then I'm tired, it's been a long day.

Old 1 Nov 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3937918)   #2013
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

All of the negativity from politicians especially around election time is what really p'ees me off about politics! I don't want to be told how crap the other lot are and what a mess they have/would have made of things, I want to hear what brilliant things each party plans to do for the country then I can make my decision on who I thing is the best, not the least worse!
I do like your Jeremy comment and hope that the 'in the world' part of it is a Top Gear reference. If so I am 100% in agreement with you there.
Old 1 Nov 2019, 08:34 (Ref:3937923)   #2014
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think Jeremy Kyle out odiouses anyone.
Old 1 Nov 2019, 08:54 (Ref:3937926)   #2015
midgetman
Veteran

It was Clarkson. TBH Kyle doesn't come across my radar.

And don't give me any credit for the "in the world" reference, it was pure coincidence.

Old 1 Nov 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3937927)   #2016
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Maybe there is more to my post than you are reading into it.
Or Less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I think Jeremy Kyle out odiouses anyone.
Indeed!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 1 Nov 2019, 09:14 (Ref:3937933)   #2017
bauble
Veteran

England
[QUOTE=John Turner;3937927]Or Less?

John, I always felt that the terrorist incidents referred to came at a very advantageous time for Jeremy the 3rd (?). A well know friend of terrorist groups.
Old 1 Nov 2019, 09:40 (Ref:3937936)   #2018
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Anyway, I've woken up this morning expecting everything to be so much better now we've finally left the EU but it doesn't seem any different. Can someone explain why please?
Old 1 Nov 2019, 10:02 (Ref:3937942)   #2019
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I left it about a month ago so I'm ahead of the game.
Old 6 Nov 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3938845)   #2020
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thought of the day . Having a coffee and quassant in cafe here in Palencia Spain . Lovely young English teacher started chatting and mentioned to me that we were celebrating blowing up the government yesterday .
Old 6 Nov 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3938846)   #2021
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Indeed it was, but this government is trying to do what people wanted. So not quite the same. Oh wait, a teacher? Says it all.

Incidentally, I only discovered yesterday that until 1959 it was illegal not to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day in the UK.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 6 Nov 2019 at 09:58.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 06:24 (Ref:3940516)   #2022
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sore loser, or prophetic words? (Donald Tusk speech)......

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9202291.html
Old 14 Nov 2019, 07:32 (Ref:3940522)   #2023
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sore loser, or prophetic words? (Donald Tusk speech)......

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9202291.html
Ironic, Mike. An ex-Polish prime minister. Poland a country that fought a bitter battle to escape the clutches of Communism, and Russian influence, to be master of it's own destiny.

Why would anyone in Europe be concerned about a piffling little country like the UK leaving the Union? Not as if we contribute much, so why bother f we go.

Answers on a …… etc.
Old 14 Nov 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3940593)   #2024
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just think how much money could have been put to good use if we hadn’t wasted so much on this car crash that is Brexit. Makes me really worried for the country all this mess we’ve made
Old 14 Nov 2019, 16:43 (Ref:3940597)   #2025
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Just think how much money could have been put to good use if we hadn’t wasted so much on this car crash that is Brexit.
Probably best not to!

Interesting that Elon Musk gave one simple reason for deciding to build their new European car factory in Germany rather than UK..... Brexit.