Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Aug 2019, 23:50 (Ref:3925048)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Allan Moffat

On the Sunday of Sandown this year, Allan Moffat turns 80..
He has appeared at race tracks and alongside various Tickford car launches and presentations in recent times, and looking every bit the 79 year old fella that he is.

Until you get to today’s newspapers...

Story Here in the News Ltd press..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article, unattributed
Motorsport legend Allan Moffat battles health, legal issues
MELBOURNE, Victoria, Australia - Four-Time Bathurst 1000 winner Alan Moffat, known as 'Mr Ford' for much of his career, is battling health and legal issues in the final days of his life.

Moffat, 79, who took out Bathurst in 1970, 1971, 1973, and 1977 was a great rival of Peter Brock, who won the big race in 1972, 1975, 1978, 1979 and 1980.

According to an exclusive report in The Sunday Telegraph, Fiona Byrne writes that Moffat has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and has been admitted to a special care facility in Melbourne.

As with another Bathurst great Bob Jane, Moffat too is tied up with a legal battle with his family. His estranged partner Susan McCure, according to the 'Telegraph report, is engaged in legal proceedings with Andrew Moffat, the racing driver great's eldest son, over his father's will.

Byrne writes that another motor sport great Larry Perkins, another Bathurst 1000 winner Fred Gibson, and Moffat Senior's day-to-day minder Phil Grant are trying to sort the issues out - and to ensure Alan Moffat's intentions with his will are carried out. It seems there is no will in existence and the court will be left to distribute his assets.

Documents were filed by Perkins, Moffat's administrator, in August asking the court to ensure his (Moffat's) wishes and intentions, if he was of testamentary capacity, would be respected, and form the basis of his will.

While the legal tussle continues, Perkins says his mate is doing well despite his issues.

"He is going downhill but he loves the home where he is now. He is still getting out and about," Perkins told Byrne for The Sunday Telegraph report, published on Sunday 1 September 2019.

"Yes, he is in the toughest race of his life, but we've got the best medical team looking after him," he said. "We're doing everything we can. He is going downhill, but he doesn't have a care in the world."

Last month Alan Moffat was honoured by the creation of a Ford Mustang to mark the 50th anniversary of the car that catapulted him to greatness.

In September last year he became only the fourth motorsport identity to be inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame alongside Brock and Formula One greats Alan Jones and Sir Jack Brabham.
You kinda forget that the blokes and blokettes from our first memories of Motorsport are ageing too...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Sep 2019, 00:07 (Ref:3925051)   #2
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't sound good at all, and Moffat has been tactful in keeping his condition private.

Great to see Larry stepping in and being a mate, when it counts the most.
Old 1 Sep 2019, 00:59 (Ref:3925060)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 1 Sep 2019, 01:29 (Ref:3925064)   #4
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good ol' Larry, what a great bloke
Old 1 Sep 2019, 02:04 (Ref:3925068)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good blokes to have your team. Smart, not the type to suffer fools gladly.

My thoughts are with Mr Moffat and family today.
Old 1 Sep 2019, 02:09 (Ref:3925069)   #6
archie1
Rookie

Australia
Hunter Valley NSW
archie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Good blokes to have your team. Smart, not the type to suffer fools gladly.

My thoughts are with Mr Moffat and family today.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Sep 2019, 02:28 (Ref:3925070)   #7
M91
Rookie

M91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridM91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bloody sad to see.
It's great to see that his mates are taking care of him though.
Old 1 Sep 2019, 03:48 (Ref:3925075)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having lost my own Father recently to Alzheimer's Disease and Parknson's and I can only feel for Alan and his friends / family at this time. Great to see true mates helping Alan through his final race.
Old 1 Sep 2019, 04:19 (Ref:3925077)   #9
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoughts with Alan and his firmly.

Last year a work colleague of twenty plus years was diagnosed with MS at the age of 63.

Just remember we are here for a good time not a long time!
Old 1 Sep 2019, 08:27 (Ref:3925090)   #10
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even though I'm no longer a fan of him after his poor behaviour at Bathurst in 2017, I feel for him and for his family and thoughts and feelings go to him and his family. Seen first hand what dementia can do to a person.
Old 1 Sep 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3925126)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 1 Sep 2019, 13:02 (Ref:3925166)   #12
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad times, no one is immortal it seems.
I hope this doesnt get nasty
Old 2 Sep 2019, 00:35 (Ref:3925303)   #13
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Sad times, no one is immortal it seems.
I hope this doesn't get nasty
With dementia it always gets nasty. In terms of the legal stuff, as the old saying goes "Never underestimate the human capacity for greed"
Old 2 Sep 2019, 02:22 (Ref:3925318)   #14
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Even though I'm no longer a fan of him after his poor behaviour at Bathurst in 2017, I feel for him and for his family and thoughts and feelings go to him and his family. Seen first hand what dementia can do to a person.
It might be fair to assume - depending on the poor behaviour that you speak of - that it could most likely have been caused by the onset of this horrible disease.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 03:31 (Ref:3925322)   #15
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
It might be fair to assume - depending on the poor behaviour that you speak of - that it could most likely have been caused by the onset of this horrible disease.
Sadly you maybe correct however I did speak to a few friends who have met Allan prior to me meeting him and recalled similar stories. (Even one Bathurst legend sitting a few seats from Allan after hearing the commotion said to me "Don't take it to heart, he can be like that")
Old 2 Sep 2019, 04:38 (Ref:3925329)   #16
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
With dementia it always gets nasty. In terms of the legal stuff, as the old saying goes "Never underestimate the human capacity for greed"
I think we have all seen this at some stage or another.......meaning family greed
Old 2 Sep 2019, 10:32 (Ref:3925366)   #17
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
I think we have all seen this at some stage or another.......meaning family greed
If anything the sagas that Peter Brock and Bob Jane's families did with the end result somewhat tarnishing the legacy of their fallen loved one is anything to go by, this is going to be one hell of a messy affair.
Old 2 Sep 2019, 22:58 (Ref:3925480)   #18
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am just not sure what is with these old dudes taking on much younger women and not leaving crystal clear wills in place?
Old 3 Sep 2019, 02:05 (Ref:3925503)   #19
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sadly you maybe correct however I did speak to a few friends who have met Allan prior to me meeting him and recalled similar stories. (Even one Bathurst legend sitting a few seats from Allan after hearing the commotion said to me "Don't take it to heart, he can be like that")
Dementia can have a long period of effects before a diagnosis too, with hindsight my grandfather had some signs for at least 10 years before he was diagnosed.

Best wishes to Allan and those that care for him, it is gratifying to read that people are looking out for him.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3925551)   #20
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I am just not sure what is with these old dudes taking on much younger women and not leaving crystal clear wills in place?
Moffat had been with Sue since around 1983, and she is James' mother, who's around 35.

While younger than Moffat, there wouldn't be that bigger age gap between them.
Old 17 Oct 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3935107)   #21
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Saw Allan on the Bathurst Sunday morning just when they were prepping for the drivers parade. He was sitting in the passenger's side of one of his Falcons. He looked happy to be in the car (got a friendly wave from him when I waved at the car) even though it was clear he wasn't 100% with it. (he was blowing kisses to people who he thought were there and trying to have a conversation to someone hanging out at the side of the car even though the was no one near the side of the Falcon and most of the window was up) Spoke to James for a few minutes after where I offered my sympathies to which he got a little emotional and said "At the very least, Dad is happy were he is, still know that his family, friends and fans love him, he's had a great run and such is the way life works out."
Old 17 Oct 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3935146)   #22
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Saw Allan on the Bathurst Sunday morning just when they were prepping for the drivers parade. He was sitting in the passenger's side of one of his Falcons. He looked happy to be in the car (got a friendly wave from him when I waved at the car) even though it was clear he wasn't 100% with it. (he was blowing kisses to people who he thought were there and trying to have a conversation to someone hanging out at the side of the car even though the was no one near the side of the Falcon and most of the window was up) Spoke to James for a few minutes after where I offered my sympathies to which he got a little emotional and said "At the very least, Dad is happy were he is, still know that his family, friends and fans love him, he's had a great run and such is the way life works out."
Saw and got Allans signature last year, as with illness Im guessing he's gone downhill fast. Life sucks
Old 17 Oct 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3935171)   #23
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Saw and got Allans signature last year, as with illness Im guessing he's gone downhill fast. Life sucks
Im sure he has days that are better than others. I know from experience with my Father who suffered Alzheimer's . One day he would be relating to me about things we had done in family cars 40-50 years ago.... the very next day was not a good day as I heard him asking my Mother who the bloke sat on the lounge was (it was me). Within months he did not even know or recognise who my Mother was, his wife and constant companion of 65 years. Very sad and heartbreaking for family and those close.
Old 18 Oct 2019, 01:30 (Ref:3935293)   #24
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, read Razors post last night and been thinking about Allan and how he is coping.

My wifes parents are both suffering similarly and its not been nice to watch.
Good days, bad days, but its those little moments and comments that can sting, like when dad is reminded that the lady over there is his wife. Wife? I didn't even know I was married! They are just over 90yo and been married for well over 60.

I hope AM's family are doing OK.
Moffat on the podium would have been a nice thing to see.....(Chaz! )
Old 18 Oct 2019, 04:47 (Ref:3935322)   #25
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
As others have said, there are good days and bad days. It's a horrible condition. From the look of it, he had a pretty good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Im sure he has days that are better than others. I know from experience with my Father who suffered Alzheimer's . One day he would be relating to me about things we had done in family cars 40-50 years ago.... the very next day was not a good day as I heard him asking my Mother who the bloke sat on the lounge was (it was me). Within months he did not even know or recognise who my Mother was, his wife and constant companion of 65 years. Very sad and heartbreaking for family and those close.
Sorry to hear that EB. Seen family members suffer from it and to go from having deep and meaningful conversations to "Sorry, who are you?" is one of the worst feelings anyone can have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Yeah, read Razors post last night and been thinking about Allan and how he is coping...I hope AM's family are doing OK.
Moffat on the podium would have been a nice thing to see.....(Chaz! )
From the looks of things, he's going OK considering. As James said, it's a tough and emotional time but Allan is safe, well and happy.