Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Oct 2001, 14:28 (Ref:167412)   #1
mrcattyfigs
Rookie

mrcattyfigs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
larry perkins in the dukes of hazzard??

can anybody remember about fifteen years ago some kind of weird theft or controversy to do with larry perkins and the mhdt commodore? something about a joy ride or something? or something? or somebody? i have a very very vague memory of this happening, hearing about it in the news when i was very young and impressionable but i can't find anything about it anywhere so i've got a feeling i imagined it or dreamed hearing about it. but no, no i'm sure it happened? any dodgy mid eighties larry perkins stories anyone? maybe i'm getting bathurst confused with the dukes of hazzard. was larry the lost duke boy?

Last edited by mrcattyfigs; 30 Oct 2001 at 14:37.
Old 30 Oct 2001, 23:28 (Ref:167692)   #2
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard he got a little bit drunk at a Xmas party and jumped in one of the race cars and went for a bit of a fang through the streets of Melbourne.

Can anyone expand on this ?
Old 31 Oct 2001, 02:10 (Ref:167763)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You don't have to be a little drunk at a Christmas party to do that sort of thing!

There was actually a big piece about the Larry-driving-exceedingly-quickly in the "Rise and Fall of Peter Brock". I've read the book a few times, so I should be able to remember what it was about, but my head is in a bit of a spin at the moment. I'll get back to you, and welcome aboard!
Old 31 Oct 2001, 04:43 (Ref:167778)   #4
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
apparantly he "flew down the tulla freeway past tulla airport" leading the cops and was picked up near Sunbury.Memory says that he was fined $1000.00 and licensed cancelled for ?? cannot remember.
Still 1 better Kingsley Hibbard coming from Sydney to Melbourne was finally stopped half way down 'Pretty Sally" after the cops failing to make him stop in NSW,Albury, Wang,Benalla. How they got him to stop was they put 2 semi's across the hume highway. He said that he was "running" in the car, an ex Pete Geoghegan Falcon.This was 69 or 70.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 08:13 (Ref:167794)   #5
Brock
Rookie

Brock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larry was driving a HDT VK road car along a freeway down there in Melbourne and the car was registered in Brocks name. The police thought it was Brock but he was out of the country at the time. Apparently the car was going along at worp speed. Perkins had to front court about it and was identified by a women who recognised him even though he had just shaven off his mostache.
Old 1 Nov 2001, 10:05 (Ref:168262)   #6
aaaahhhhhhh
Rookie

aaaahhhhhhh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larry was probably speeding because he didn't have his company car with pescription windscreen and instrument cluster..........
Old 3 Nov 2001, 15:08 (Ref:169321)   #7
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The story I heard was that Perkins played a practical joke on MHDT.

He broke into the factory and jumped in the brand new Brock vehicle.

He drove it all the way to Essendon airport where he had his plane waiting.

I heard that he beat them back to moorabbin airport.

This may be a gross exaggeration of the story but it is what I heard from a fellow official at the F1 GP.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 19:24 (Ref:169359)   #8
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a good book on Brock, and i remember finally feeling after reading it that my intense dislike for the guy was well worth the effort

As a young fan of MS and Fords, I can remember pete using more than 1 car to win the 1000 and thinking I'd been ripped off in a big way Thank god they changed that rule

Last edited by Alan Jones; 3 Nov 2001 at 19:25.