Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Jul 2002, 02:23 (Ref:324841)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hypothetical WSC Category

Inspired by this great thread on the touring car forums, I thought it'd be good to start a similar topic on the sportscar forum. Because, basically, there is no true world sportscar category. Sure, we have ALMS, ELMS, Grand Am, British GT, FIA Sportscars, but there isn't ONE good category like the glorius WSC series that travelled the world in the 60's, 70's, 80's and earlier.

Over to you folks, I'll post some ideas later.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 03:52 (Ref:324856)   #2
yintandiddleipo
Rookie

yintandiddleipo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the McLaren F1 was actually detuned in racing trim (by about 100hp if I remember), why not keep it dead simple:

Rule 1 : mininum 50 road cars
Rule 2 : only mods allowed are roll-cage, racing seat & removal of any creature comforts.

Maybe have a second class, for cars that were slower but increase the minimum number of road cars.

Run them on slicks and they would be pretty fast, not to mention the fact that you could actually buy one for the street!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 04:01 (Ref:324857)   #3
yintandiddleipo
Rookie

yintandiddleipo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as the calander goes :
Jan. Daytona 24 hour
Feb. Sebring 12 hour
Mar. Watkins Glen 6 hour
Apr. Beunos Aires 48hour
May. Silverstone 1000m
Jun. Monza 1000km
Jul. Spa 1000km
Aug. Nurbergring 24 hour
Sep. Kyalami 6 hour
Oct. Zhuhai 1000km
Nov. Suzuka 1000m
Dec. Adelaide New year party

and straight in to the next season, shouldn't be a problem, given that these are road cars!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 08:42 (Ref:324955)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yintandiddleipo, Great calendar!

In an ideal world I would like a single "at least two seats" rule, with the second seat allowed to be a token comedy passenger seat. I realise that this is a bit unrealistic.

I'm not to sure about the 50 car limit. I think this is too high. I would like to see cars like the Toyota GT-One. Some manufactures have trouble getting 50 cars for GTS and these are not the sort of cars I would like to see competing for overall honours. You cite the McLaren F1 as an example of a car that can fulfil this, but I think this is the exception.

Also I wouldn't like the laptimes to decrease too much.

I've not been very specific, but in the next set of ACO rules I would like to see more power and (slightly) less grip. However, I don't think this is going to happen!

And finally I would like to see some Jags out there!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 09:37 (Ref:324976)   #5
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely the June date should read "24 heures du Mans"?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 10:18 (Ref:325009)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Guy, I can't believe I missed that. Maybe it just goes without saying. But I think it should be written in capital letters too!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 11:19 (Ref:325041)   #7
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
And in fairness I reckon Silverstone should really read brands Hatch - Much better for the WSCs!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 11:43 (Ref:325060)   #8
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
48 hours in argentina?

will only the porsches be left running?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 12:15 (Ref:325081)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Hypothetical WSC Category

World Sportscar - that's easy: look at Gp.C (pre 3.5l), lose the roof, and voilá!

As for races, how about a 72 hour race at Snetterton?
Or maybe the Helsinki Six Days...
Old 1 Jul 2002, 12:43 (Ref:325095)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have 3 classes. LM-GTP, GTS and GT. current rules for those classes would apply.

All races must be a minimum of 1000km. Le Mans would be a Non-Championship event, and manufacturers would be required to compete in at least 2 races prior to Le Mans to gain entry. Therefore we won't have the situation where GT1 only had Merc and Porsche all year round, but at Le Mans we had them as well as Nissan, Toyota and Audi R8C.

Calendar:

Daytona 24 Hours
Sebring 12 Hours
Monza 1000km
Silverstone 1000km
Paul Ricard 1000km
Nurburgring 1000km (preferebly Nordscheife, but probably GP track)
Spa 1000km
Brands Hatch 1000km
Petit Le Mans
Suzuka 1000km
Sepang 1000km
Australia 1000km (i'm trying to think of a suitable track, apart from Bathurst and Adelaide)

the 24 hour sportscar races at Bathurst and the Nurburgring haven't been included because those races are aimed at the enthusiast as well as the professional competitors.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 12:46 (Ref:325098)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
World Sportscar - that's easy: look at Gp.C (pre 3.5l), lose the roof, and voilá!
I like it, but you should keep the roof.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 12:50 (Ref:325102)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the mods would need to be a bit more extensive to include brakes and suspension. These things would need to be fast.

1. Have a second class for less powerful cars but remove the min number built, this would give makes like Lister a chance.
2. Works teams must sell customer cars.
3. Cars must race in national colours!
4. An Alpine hillclimb to be included.
5. Drivers over 50 to be given a 20 minute head start.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 13:07 (Ref:325118)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok, this is a very interesting debate and it something I have mention on this forum and others before, so here is how I think my championship would work.

Classes

The classes would be the current Le Mans classes.

LMP 900
LMP 675
LM GTP
LM GTS
LM GTO

I reckon you would be able to get at least 35 - 40 cars in each race.

The Races

The Calander would be:-

Feb:- Daytona 24hr
Mar:- Sebring 12hr
Mar:- Monza 1000 Km
Apr:- Silverstone 500Km
May:- Nurburgring 1000Km
Jun:- Le Mans 24hr
Jul:- Interlagos 500Km
Aug:- Spa 24hr
Aug:- Suzuka 1000 Km
Sep:- Kyalami 1000 km
Oct:- Petit Le Mans
Nov:- Sepang 500 km
Dec:- Adeladie 1000 Km

The points system would be a two tear system, Overall Postions in Race and then in Class

Overall Points Systems

1:- 25
2:- 20
3:- 18
4:- 16
5:- 14
6:- 12
7:- 10
8:- 8
9:- 6
10:- 4
11:- 2
12:- 1

Class Points System

As F1/WRC

1:- 10
2:- 6
3:- 4
4:- 3
5:- 2
6:- 1

So that would mean that if you finished the race in the first 12 place you would get points towards the overall championship and if you finisg in the first 6 places in class then you get points towards the class championship, I know it is a bit complected, but I think this formula would work.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 13:07 (Ref:325119)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Nordic I like your suggestions too!

1) Yes, small manufacturers like Lister/Saleen/Spyker/etc... should have a chance to be represented.
2) Great idea. Perhaps a price cap?
3) and all funding comes from national governments? Or people who sell green/red/blue or silver products? How about first choice of pits to teams in national colours. Or automatic exposure on the race posters?
4) Nice! With a performance break?
5) As long as they drive it single handed! And why not drivers over 46?
Old 1 Jul 2002, 13:10 (Ref:325123)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
rdjones. I quite like your points system. I think the main thing is that each driver in the same car gets the same points. No comedy who leads the most laps/sets the fastest lap or pole.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 13:21 (Ref:325131)   #16
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think whatever the rules, points etc make them world wide with a strong promo package from the FIA, maybe, dare I say it a race supporting a GP (Monaco!). Only one world wide champinship, being fed by strong regional series.
In some ways the rules matter less than the way the series is promoted, you could have the best rules every invented, but if you are shouting down a well, no one will hear you.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 13:29 (Ref:325140)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
You are right, the promotion is the key. But I'm not sure if this should be done by the FIA? Perhaps getting the FIA and ACO to agree on the rules, but I think the promotion should be done by someone who cares about sportscar racing.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 13:37 (Ref:325144)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well the person to run a promote the series is here already............................................ Who am I talking about but Dr Don Panoz, maybe he could do a deal with th FIA, like the one Dave Richards has done with them regarding the World Rally Championship.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 17:05 (Ref:325292)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Classes:

C1
C2

Races:

Monza 1000km
Brands Hatch 1000km
Montreal 500km
Sebring 12hrs
Le Mans 24hrs
Spa 1000km
Nurburgring 1000km (on the Nordschleife!)
Fuji 1000km
Bathurst
Mexico City
Kyalami (I'd buy back all the old land and rebuild the old circuit!)
Old 1 Jul 2002, 22:20 (Ref:325460)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
like the one Dave Richards has done with them regarding the World Rally Championship.
Somehow, I don't see an R8 on a 1000 Lakes special stage, though
Old 1 Jul 2002, 22:21 (Ref:325461)   #21
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Classes:

C1
C2
Aren't you a bit sentimental there? Just bringing Gp.C back won't change anything for the better imo.

...besides, who wants cars with roofs anyway - I thought we wanted real racecars for a change
Old 1 Jul 2002, 22:25 (Ref:325464)   #22
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
3. Cars must race in national colours!
The sponsors will love that...

Quote:
4. An Alpine hillclimb to be included.
Any suggestions as to which one, and why the Alps?
Hell, why not go all the way and BRING BACK THE TARGA FLORIO!!

Quote:
5. Drivers over 50 to be given a 20 minute head start.
Dieter Quester - World Champion 2007
Old 1 Jul 2002, 22:55 (Ref:325489)   #23
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Aren't you a bit sentimental there? Just bringing Gp.C back won't change anything for the better imo.

...besides, who wants cars with roofs anyway - I thought we wanted real racecars for a change

The basic idea was good, it worked until the FIA ed around with it and it drew most of the manufacturers and plenty of spectators....

Oh and the cars were the most gorgeous machines i've ever seen!
Old 1 Jul 2002, 23:13 (Ref:325507)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:

Somehow, I don't see an R8 on a 1000 Lakes special stage, though
That's not the point I was trying to make but it would be interesting to see.
Old 1 Jul 2002, 23:16 (Ref:325508)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Roofs rock. The car are so much better. The lines flow better and they are real cars.

A Porsche 917 has a roof.
A Ford GT40 has a roof.
A Ferrari 250GTO has a roof.