Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Oct 2019, 10:09 (Ref:3936042)   #5301
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
No worry at all, Andy, I've always been a great fan of your "admirable" Nelson! My French friends can't understand this…*What a live he got! Even with some parts missing he was the best. No doubt. Cheers! Well, chapeau bas!
Of course, the best, Gerard. From Norfolk!

And if any public figure got up to the things he did now, then social media would have a field day!

Interestingly, his victory at Trafalgar came about largely because he ignored the doctrine, “rules”, conventions and training of the day and did his own thing.
Now, of course, a hero, but even now if a military officer ignored doctrine and training like Nelson did, they would be in front of a Courts Martial!
Old 21 Oct 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3936065)   #5302
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, the Norfolk origin is beyond my comprehension, being a former foreigner!
I'm not surprised to find you point of view really interesting. Just for example, what would happen during any battle if all the officers, generals, admirals have been learning the same tricks ands strategies at school? A big "mess" I suppose. Mess in french meaning: * table!!!
Old 21 Oct 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3936072)   #5303
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, the Norfolk origin is beyond my comprehension, being a former foreigner!
I'm not surprised to find you point of view really interesting. Just for example, what would happen during any battle if all the officers, generals, admirals have been learning the same tricks ands strategies at school? A big "mess" I suppose. Mess in french meaning: * table!!!

I would guess that in naval terms you would get a set piece battle that all depended on who had been able to manoeuvre to take best advantage of the Wind - or whatever was thought to be the key to success in the likely conditions depending on the health of one's crews and the state of ones armaments.

Is it fair to suggest that the very best military thinking of the time, head to head, resulted in the "success" of trench warfare in WW1?

Norfolk - flat area of land known in racing circles for Lotus and otherwise enjoyed by wealthy landowners and members of the Royal Family as a place to live when you need to pretend you live in London and enjoy it but don't really. Quite a nice place in which to find areas where one can almost completely escape the modern world.

Birthplace of Admiral Nelson.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3936073)   #5304
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’ll have you all know I went to the same school as Lord Nelson, in Norfolk obviously! He was a few years ahead of me though......
Old 21 Oct 2019, 13:52 (Ref:3936074)   #5305
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’ll have you all know I went to the same school as Lord Nelson, in Norfolk obviously! He was a few years ahead of me though......

Did he ever come back to hand out the prizes at speech day Mike?
Old 21 Oct 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3936077)   #5306
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I've heard it said that some people would have given their right arm to say they'd been to the same school as you Mike!
Old 21 Oct 2019, 14:18 (Ref:3936079)   #5307
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Indeed, and this is why warfare against the Vietcong, Taliban, ISIS and the Iranians is so problematic for the western forces. We spent so long practicing for conventional warfare, we couldnt cope with the unconventional (or Asymmetric warfare to use the jargon).

Putin has learnt though, and that is why he could be dangerous. Russia has built up its conventional forces again but has also demonstrated many unconventional approaches in the annexation of the Crimea, to which we dont have much of an answer.

The USA has also been very spooked, going back many years, by Iranian “swarm boat attacks” to which they also have very little answer in their large aircraft carriers (and what have the UK just built?).
Old 21 Oct 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3936082)   #5308
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I would guess that in naval terms you would get a set piece battle that all depended on who had been able to manoeuvre to take best advantage of the Wind - or whatever was thought to be the key to success in the likely conditions depending on the health of one's crews and the state of ones armaments
Yes, Grant. Convention of the time had it that opposing naval forces would maneuver in two parallel lines alongside each other and slug it out with broadsides.

Nelson was outnumbered 27 to 33 ships i think, so drove at the French/Spanish in two columns at right angles to the enemy and split them in to 3 groups.

He then maneuvered such that his 2 groups could disable the smaller enemy groups before getting ships alongside each other and boarding for hand to hand fighting (wooden ships actually being quite difficult to sink). It was brutal.

The “hospital deck” on Victory has the deck painted in red so as sailors didnt recognise how much blood there actually was!!
Old 21 Oct 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3936083)   #5309
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

Norfolk - flat area of land known in racing circles for Lotus and otherwise enjoyed by wealthy landowners and members of the Royal Family as a place to live when you need to pretend you live in London and enjoy it but don't really. Quite a nice place in which to find areas where one can almost completely escape the modern world.

Birthplace of Admiral Nelson.
Why would anyone wsnt to pretend that they lived in London??? Awful and very over rated place.
There are a few Londoners on the N Norfolk coast now. Shouldnt have been let in! I blame Stephen Fry!
Old 21 Oct 2019, 15:05 (Ref:3936084)   #5310
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Yes, Grant. Convention of the time had it that opposing naval forces would maneuver in two parallel lines alongside each other and slug it out with broadsides.

Nelson was outnumbered 27 to 33 ships i think, so drove at the French/Spanish in two columns at right angles to the enemy and split them in to 3 groups.

He then maneuvered such that his 2 groups could disable the smaller enemy groups before getting ships alongside each other and boarding for hand to hand fighting (wooden ships actually being quite difficult to sink). It was brutal.

The “hospital deck” on Victory has the deck painted in red so as sailors didnt recognise how much blood there actually was!!
This manoeuvre meant that the ships in the van (front) of the British columns would suffer the combined fire power of the entire French/Spanish fleet as they approached, and unable to bring their own guns to bear. Nelson lead the column that headed for the centre of the French line, leading by example.

Not only was this tactic unconventional, but in order to ensure that every Captain was free to act as he thought fit, and not worry about 'rules' he issued the following edict;

"No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy."

The combined French/Spanish fleet lost 22 ships, while Nelson suffer none.

He also once held his telescope to his blind eye, and announced; "I see no signals."
Old 21 Oct 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3936085)   #5311
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Did he ever come back to hand out the prizes at speech day Mike?
He might have done but he was too pickled.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3936086)   #5312
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
This manoeuvre meant that the ships in the van (front) of the British columns would suffer the combined fire power of the entire French/Spanish fleet as they approached, and unable to bring their own guns to bear. Nelson lead the column that headed for the centre of the French line, leading by example.

Not only was this tactic unconventional, but in order to ensure that every Captain was free to act as he thought fit, and not worry about 'rules' he issued the following edict;

"No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy."

The combined French/Spanish fleet lost 22 ships, while Nelson suffer none.

He also once held his telescope to his blind eye, and announced; "I see no signals."
Very good from our RAF correspondent!
Old 21 Oct 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3936087)   #5313
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
He might have done but he was too pickled.
In Madeira, i think.

Such a national figure that his body was brought back to England when it would have been expected that he would be buried at sea.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 16:08 (Ref:3936094)   #5314
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Very good from our RAF correspondent!
Nelson was one of my boyhood heroes, along with Sir Francis Drake. Somehow I never took to Biggles.

Sorry Gerry Mo, much of this must be sailing straight past you, but remember Jean Behra is still my screen saver.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3936097)   #5315
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In Madeira, i think.

Such a national figure that his body was brought back to England when it would have been expected that he would be buried at sea.
Then he gets stuck up a column in the most congested square in London!

My late father was a matelot, served in some fine ships; HMS Victorious and before that Vanguard. Both were scrapped. Not entirely certain he wasn't to blame.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 17:05 (Ref:3936104)   #5316
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Every ship i served in, and every aircraft i worked on are also scrapped!
Although HMS Marlborough was sold to the Chileans so may still exist.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3936111)   #5317
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Attacking at right angles - assuming one can take advantage for wind direction and rely upon both direction and strength - would be quite a smart idea since it offers relatively little frontal area, would limit the number of guns that could be brought to bear unless the opposing ships could move out of line and would mean that the distance to target was always changing (which I assume would cause some problems if the gunners had not trained for that and the guns were in any case probably relatively short range?)

Presumably the majority of the sailors were the result of Press Gang activity although perhaps the results of the Gangs activities were more often suited to Army allocation, unless near the coast.

Only a couple of hundred years ago but life was so different to the experiences of today.
Old 21 Oct 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3936115)   #5318
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Attacking at right angles - assuming one can take advantage for wind direction and rely upon both direction and strength - would be quite a smart idea since it offers relatively little frontal area, would limit the number of guns that could be brought to bear unless the opposing ships could move out of line and would mean that the distance to target was always changing (which I assume would cause some problems if the gunners had not trained for that and the guns were in any case probably relatively short range?)

Presumably the majority of the sailors were the result of Press Gang activity although perhaps the results of the Gangs activities were more often suited to Army allocation, unless near the coast.

Only a couple of hundred years ago but life was so different to the experiences of today.
Nelson was well aware of the enemies shortcomings in the gunnery department, very slow to reload, and not accurate at any range, although the Victory suffered a lot of damage as she closed with the opposing fleet, but the British Tar was a highly trained seaman, and 'our' gunnery was far superior, which lead to the total destruction of the French/Spanish fleet.

I will leave the eye witness account to Andy RM.

Note to Mods. Should this be transferred to the Sunny Uplands thread?
Old 21 Oct 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3936130)   #5319
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I've heard it said that some people would have given their right arm to say they'd been to the same school as you Mike!
And nobody pointed out this good one! Unfair but funny…
No worry at all Bob, as previously said I always admired Nelson very much. May be in todays's words we could say a fookin' smart ass! Few respect for the establishment but a courageous winner. Isn't this combined with Trafalgar "square" a little bit funny too? Cheers to Nelson!
Old 21 Oct 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3936136)   #5320
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Every ship i served in, and every aircraft i worked on are also scrapped!
Although HMS Marlborough was sold to the Chileans so may still exist.
Hmm. You certainly are the kiss of death to ships Andy.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 04:59 (Ref:3936169)   #5321
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Nelson was well aware of the enemies shortcomings in the gunnery department, very slow to reload, and not accurate at any range, although the Victory suffered a lot of damage as she closed with the opposing fleet, but the British Tar was a highly trained seaman, and 'our' gunnery was far superior, which lead to the total destruction of the French/Spanish fleet.

I will leave the eye witness account to Andy RM.

Note to Mods. Should this be transferred to the Sunny Uplands thread?
The French had been blockaded in port for many years and so were not practised in the arts of either sailing or gunnery. Hence were far slower than the British at both changing direction and re-loading guns, giving the British a big advantage despite being outnumbered.

Vive le rosbifs!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 05:03 (Ref:3936171)   #5322
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Hmm. You certainly are the kiss of death to ships Andy.
Just been around a long time, but not as long as you, Bob. And nothing lasts forever.
Interestingly (or not), all the ships i have ever known in the RN had a design life of about 20-25 years. The two new RN aircraft carriers are expected to last 50. I will be 106 when they decommission, then. Hmmm, i will believe it when i see it. Lol
Old 22 Oct 2019, 05:22 (Ref:3936175)   #5323
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

As an aside, my mate and I went to Totnes on the saturday to see his boat in refit - a converted former Cowes-Torquay-Cowes powerboat racer from the 70s, i think. 5.5 litre inboard Mercury (Possibly Chevy based?) V8. Awesome bit of kit!
Back to my mate’s boat. He had sent me this utube video of the 1969 Cowes-Torquay-Cowes powerboat race in which it took part. See 19 mins and 40 secs in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSiFhXtS2iw&feature=youtu.be

Also featured were Peter Twiss (test pilot and former “owner” of the world air speed record) and Timo Zmakinen (rally driver). I didnt know that either had other high octane pursuits.
Old 22 Oct 2019, 06:16 (Ref:3936176)   #5324
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Zimo Zmakinen you mean? The Zakspeed driver owning a Z Datsun? Whoever, bother his name, very nice video.
Re Nelson, in french language the expression "un coup de Trafalgar" will last forever, meaning something coming from behind you can't fight against which puts you down. Vive le Rosbif!
Old 22 Oct 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3936192)   #5325
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Interestingly (or not), all the ships i have ever known in the RN had a design life of about 20-25 years. The two new RN aircraft carriers are expected to last 50. I will be 106 when they decommission, then. Hmmm, i will believe it when i see it. Lol

If they prove to be as reliable as the Type 46 frigate/destroyers ( I think that is their designation) of which the RN has 6 that I believe are pretty well all in dock for TLC, then I very much doubt it!
Closed Thread