Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 3 Oct 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3931768)   #5051
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's the right way up on Tapatalk :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 3 Oct 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3931770)   #5052
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If you left-click on the picture to enlarge it, and then left-click on the enlargement, it will open the right way up in a new tab. Or, it does for me using Firefox on a laptop.
Why when I did that did I suddenly stand on my head?
Seriously, that worked for me and the image showed correctly. (Chrome on a Windows desktop)
Thanks Mike for the tip.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 22:11 (Ref:3931794)   #5053
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Agreed, i should have made that clear. Be good to say that you have raced at “Le Mans” in the pub someday, though!!!
Agreed about being able to make the claim. However if you leave it too long before making is the chances are no one will relate to the tale.

"I raced lemons" is more likely to be what they think they "hear".

And of course the second problem would be finding a pub in which to make the claim .... .

Especially around our way Andy where more than a few seem to be experiencing fires. Or this week, in some areas, more likely floods.
Old 3 Oct 2019, 22:16 (Ref:3931795)   #5054
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If you left-click on the picture to enlarge it, and then left-click on the enlargement, it will open the right way up in a new tab. Or, it does for me using Firefox on a laptop.
Using Firefox here - right click the image and "Open in New Tab" displayed it the right way up and enlarged nicely.

Very strange that it is upside down in the first place though.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3931887)   #5055
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Anyone else getting Christmas stuff through . Even the bike club that I don’t belong to have asked about booking Christmas lunch . BTW I qualify for local village OAP lunch . Happy days .
Old 4 Oct 2019, 12:50 (Ref:3931888)   #5056
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Anyone else getting Christmas stuff through . Even the bike club that I don’t belong to have asked about booking Christmas lunch . BTW I qualify for local village OAP lunch . Happy days .
That’s right, change the subject!

I couldn’t find stuff in the supermarket yesterday as all the Xmas stuff had replaced it, but I’m sure someone will point out it’s been like that for several weeks......
Old 4 Oct 2019, 12:56 (Ref:3931890)   #5057
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m sure loads of you will have seen the YouTube dash cam footage of a van getting big air on a roundabout near here. Seems someone else had a go the other night on another roundabout, but the trees thwarted their attempt!
Attached Thumbnails
B60F09E5-B545-4ECC-AC79-6201640FED61.jpeg  
Old 4 Oct 2019, 13:17 (Ref:3931896)   #5058
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m sure loads of you will have seen the YouTube dash cam footage of a van getting big air on a roundabout near here. Seems someone else had a go the other night on another roundabout, but the trees thwarted their attempt!

They should leave that van there as a reminder.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3931907)   #5059
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Not the sort of thing you really want to do in a fully liveried van.

Odd that the police tape seems to have been broken.

Has someone helped themselves to the contents whilst it's awaiting the incident investigation team?
Old 4 Oct 2019, 14:28 (Ref:3931908)   #5060
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The seal on the rear door appears intact.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3931915)   #5061
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Talking of road incidents, the local news feed on my phone has been reporting various M1 closures today due in accidents and subsequent investigations.

Looking at the traffic maps from Google I'm seeing more red than green all the way from Leicester to just north of Sheffield. I assume that is after they have reopened following the overnight events.

Many of those miles, especially up through the section north of Loughborough to Sheffield, are recent conversions to Smart specification.

I suspect that if one checked the records they have long been incident prone but perhaps Smart has not improved the situation and all we get are ever longer 'roads closed for investigation purposes'.

I wonder what the benefit of the extensive investigations might be?
Old 4 Oct 2019, 15:51 (Ref:3931920)   #5062
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Talking of Le Mans, this is not new but just popped up on the Insurer’s website. A lap with a Mike Hawthorne in 1956- while the roads were open to normal traffic!

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...around-le-mans
Old 4 Oct 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3931921)   #5063
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And imagine the size of the camera!
Old 4 Oct 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3931923)   #5064
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Talking of Le Mans, this is not new but just popped up on the Insurer’s website. A lap with a Mike Hawthorne in 1956- while the roads were open to normal traffic!

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...around-le-mans
Only just discovered that Mike? Been there for years, although maybe you are getting your Hawthorn's confused with the Hawthorne's.
Shame on you.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3931927)   #5065
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I suspect we all knew about the video and the name Bob. Nonetheless it's a great reminder of the man and the legend that is Le Mans. Thanks for bringing it back.

Whilst I was too young to be aware of Mike Hawthorn, I spent my formative years in Surrey, not too far from Farnham (about 1/2 mile from the Tongham Stock Car Track).

When I had an MG 1100 I bought my parts from the Tourist Trophy Garage in Farnham. The number of times I've driven past that "tree" outside Guildford must be enormous yet I never could find out where to stop. It was just along the road from Stag Hill Motors. What with them and the Coombs Garage the other side of Guildford, the place was a petrolhead's dream.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3931932)   #5066
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Incidentally BoB. What are you doing about the picture calendar? Would love to see something with my MGB in it.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3931933)   #5067
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
maybe you are getting your Hawthorn's confused with the Hawthorne's.
Shame on you.
Well, I spelled his name correctly but then thought there was an extra e on the website, and journos are always right.....
Old 4 Oct 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3931934)   #5068
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Touche or touchy as we say.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 17:27 (Ref:3931940)   #5069
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If my memory serves and if we're talking about the same video Bob, I remember a cyclist in the trajectory… Scary! Mais pas touché…
Old 4 Oct 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3931941)   #5070
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Incidentally BoB. What are you doing about the picture calendar? Would love to see something with my MGB in it.
Bob, happy to supply photos of tenthers from my travels this year if you have any gaps. D
Old 4 Oct 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3931951)   #5071
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
And imagine the size of the camera!

Probably looked like a Google Streetmap recording car. Without the Opel badge.

And lacking the roof.

And the snooping comms (allegedly).

But apart from that ....
Old 4 Oct 2019, 18:52 (Ref:3931961)   #5072
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I’ve seen that Hawthorn video a few times, very insightful commentary from Mike there
Old 4 Oct 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3931968)   #5073
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I bought mince pies in Sainsbury's last month with a 'use by' date in October!
Old 4 Oct 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3931972)   #5074
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I had thought I would produce one for 2020, Peter. and invite entries for the calendar. so start rummaging for suitable images chaps - well as long as they will pass the censor.
Old 4 Oct 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3931974)   #5075
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I suspect we all knew about the video and the name Bob. Nonetheless it's a great reminder of the man and the legend that is Le Mans. Thanks for bringing it back.

Whilst I was too young to be aware of Mike Hawthorn, I spent my formative years in Surrey, not too far from Farnham (about 1/2 mile from the Tongham Stock Car Track).

When I had an MG 1100 I bought my parts from the Tourist Trophy Garage in Farnham. The number of times I've driven past that "tree" outside Guildford must be enormous yet I never could find out where to stop. It was just along the road from Stag Hill Motors. What with them and the Coombs Garage the other side of Guildford, the place was a petrolhead's dream.
Peter, Mike has always been my 'motor sport hero' I was a fan of Rileys back in the day, and noted a young chap beating more modern cars in a Brooklands Riley. When he sprang to fame at the1952 Easter Goodwood I was not as surprised as many motoring journos seemed to be.

One of my fondest memories of a mis spent youth was having a chat with Mike after the 1955 Nine Hour Race. He was quite happy to chat to a couple of young lads who had cycled from Barnet to see the race.

I heard the news of his accident in a rather brutal manner, and I was off work for 3 days completely shattered by his death.

I lost a lot of 'friends' during the 1950's, and mourned them all, but only Hawthorn, affected me so badly.

Bob.