Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Jul 2016, 20:26 (Ref:3657545)   #1
Jordan.bird
Rookie

Jordan.bird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport race radio scanners

Hi guys,

Sorry in advance if already posted.

I am thinking of buying a radio scanner for GT event and BTCC events in UK.

Firstly are they still used??

What can you pick up on scanner? Can you hear any teams? Also what are the best ones to buy?

Hope you can help please.

Jordan

Last edited by Jordan.bird; 7 Jul 2016 at 20:35.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 00:41 (Ref:3657580)   #2
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CAUTION - once you start , you will never again go to a race without it.

You will be able hear, drivers , teams, race control, track crews, and tv coverage.

Start your research here: https://www.racingradios.com/collect...-products/fans
Old 8 Jul 2016, 11:32 (Ref:3657653)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe in some US series, the team frequencies must be published. Historically speaking, all teams tend to use a select few frequencies every year and likely can be picked up by scanners.

Outside of that, series officials, track control and marshalls likely use the same frequency year in and out. TV and radio broadcasts are sent through the airwaves and are generally the same all the time. The issue becomes finding them and you'll either need to painstakingly scan all weekend or find someone or some publication that has past ones listed. Otherwise, you miss what you came to see.

Don't know if they're sold across the pond but I've always had Uniden scanners.

Good luck and happy scanning.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 13:11 (Ref:3657658)   #4
Jordan.bird
Rookie

Thanks for that.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 13:56 (Ref:3657664)   #5
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A word of caution... a number of organisers (BTCC for sure) and teams (certainly in the UK) are using digital radios which I don't think can be picked up on a scanner, I'm sure somebody smarter than me can confirm though.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 13:58 (Ref:3657665)   #6
Jordan.bird
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby View Post
A word of caution... a number of organisers (BTCC for sure) and teams (certainly in the UK) are using digital radios which I don't think can be picked up on a scanner, I'm sure somebody smarter than me can confirm though.

What I thought too.
Old 8 Jul 2016, 21:53 (Ref:3657711)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletubby View Post
And that person would not be me! I did not know that!
Old 31 Aug 2016, 11:38 (Ref:3668767)   #8
keelo1987
Rookie

keelo1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, sorry to jump on this thread, I have recently started marshalling and fancied getting a cheapish radio to see how I get on. Im not a whizz with radios, and the advert descriptions about frequencies arent clear, but would this do the job:

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/dual-ba...-kt-950ee.html

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 1 Sep 2016, 11:55 (Ref:3668906)   #9
Fro5TI
Rookie

England
South Fylde, Lanc's
Fro5TI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelo1987 View Post
Hi, sorry to jump on this thread, I have recently started marshalling and fancied getting a cheapish radio to see how I get on. Im not a whizz with radios, and the advert descriptions about frequencies arent clear, but would this do the job:

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/dual-ba...-kt-950ee.html

Thanks in advance for any help
"would this do the job" In short No . . The model you have linked to states that it is for use on licensed amateur radio frequencies and as such to use it legally (in transmit mode) you must be a licensed / registered radio amateur. In any case it would be useless to you as a receiver for marshalling as it doesn't (according to the info.) cover the frequency range you will require. Also stick to scanners only, avoid buying a transceiver as there is a clear potential to accidentally transmit on a frequency which you are not permitted to do so.
My advice would be to do a search for scanners in the marshals area on this forum; the topic has been covered extensively there.
If you don't mind a bit more advice; if you have only just started marshalling I would wait a while before you commit to buying a scanner, learn the ropes first from the more experienced marshals and get experience under your belt. Then when you know if you like the hobby and understand whats going on around you; only then should you think about buying a scanner. Be aware though (as mentioned above) some circuits have gone 'digital' rendering scanners useless.
In all cases, stay safe and enjoy it
Old 1 Sep 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3668930)   #10
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Also keep in mind that some marshaling organization discourage the use of scanners or even simply outlawed them.
Old 1 Sep 2016, 14:32 (Ref:3668950)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Also keep in mind that some marshaling organization discourage the use of scanners or even simply outlawed them.
Why/where/who? Never heard of this and don't understand.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3669399)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Guessing he means banned them from marshals and the posts. Makes sense to have everyone on the same radio and following one voice instead of making calls based off of what they over-hear from team/driver/etc.
Old 3 Sep 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3669429)   #13
j_hampton2000
Rookie

j_hampton2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan,

For scanning team radio channels, I'd recommend you start here:
https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/gr...equencies/info

Some teams can still be heard using an analogue scanner, but as stated above most are now digital. A scanner can be modified to decode these digital signals via a windows device, but it's not for the beginner. In early 2017 I would expect the first portable scanners to be released to cover the digital format used now by most teams (and marshals/officials). Expect to pay around £500 for them though.

If you are just starting with radio, I wouldn't recommend a transceiver.

Jim