Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jun 2015, 20:52 (Ref:3552529)   #26
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Petrol pump? Happened to me once in a road car ran perfectly up 65MPH but then just staggered along.

Probably making a complete donkey of myself but .........!

PS. Did you notice during your roundabout route if the Dadford Road was open?

See ya tomorrow.

Bauble.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 20:54 (Ref:3552530)   #27
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Had one heck of a day.

For reasons unknown the MGB managed to leap from 103db at Brands two weeks ago to 113 at Silverstone. As Delta said "no way is that possible that's as much as a straight through exhaust" and I agree with him. Personally I reckon the equipment was crook.

Anyway after countless re tests including thermal wrap around the end pipe to stop it resonating against the boot (all rubber mounted so it can't have been that anyway but we were getting desperate) aided by Skeltenbury the Intrepid we borrowed a baffle and stuck it on the end which managed to bring it down to an acceptable level...odd really to be so concerned about noise when you are in the middle of nowherre and there is a GP in two weeks but there you are.
Arh yes, noise testing,

Right, I fully understand and support the need for proper noise testing, and for circuits to operate within the noise parameters of their planning permission, but I have also experienced similar issues int he past. Pass a noise test at one circuit or track day but a few days later fail somewhere else. Ask awkward questions like when was the noise meter last calibrated against a national standard/ datum and you are then told that the noise Scrutineer is a "judge of fact"and cannot be challenged, or their decision appealed.

What nonsene. We do our sport a massive disservice by not testing properly with calibrated equipment against properly defined standards, and we don't seem to do that.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 20:57 (Ref:3552531)   #28
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Had one heck of a day.

For reasons unknown the MGB managed to leap from 103db at Brands two weeks ago to 113 at Silverstone. As Delta said "no way is that possible that's as much as a straight through exhaust" and I agree with him. Personally I reckon the equipment was crook.

Anyway after countless re tests including thermal wrap around the end pipe to stop it resonating against the boot (all rubber mounted so it can't have been that anyway but we were getting desperate) aided by Skeltenbury the Intrepid we borrowed a baffle and stuck it on the end which managed to bring it down to an acceptable level...odd really to be so concerned about noise when you are in the middle of nowherre and there is a GP in two weeks but there you are.

Havi ng got onto the track (allowed to start from the back as we missed qually due to fannying about with db levels) and we were only allowed at the back as we sweet talked tsl into looking at the times from last year to prove we had quallied then - many thanks to Ron Gammons for allowing that)- we were then hit by the biggest downpour I have seen in a long time.
I see nothing changes with the MG car club, Sillystone live and their heads up their own rectums ways, not even the weather seems any different.
Old 20 Jun 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3552534)   #29
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=bauble;3552529]Petrol pump? Happened to me once in a road car ran perfectly up 65MPH but then just staggered along.

Well you are on the same lines as what I'm thinking. Revs freely when not In gear but under load simply won't go above 4500. It feels and sounds exactly like fuel starvation and to be frank the noise the fuel pump makes seems slower than usual but then when your head scratching you'll jump at anything. That's why I have the theory the battery is lacking in oomph to drive the fuel pump under load.

Come over and say hi. Red gazebo just down from Equipe GTS tent number91
Old 20 Jun 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3552535)   #30
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Ps ignored the diversion and drove straight through no prob
Old 20 Jun 2015, 21:10 (Ref:3552536)   #31
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
[QUOTE=andy97;3552530]Arh yes, noise testing,

Pass a noise test at one circuit or track day but a few days later fail somewhere else. Ask awkward questions like when was the noise meter last calibrated against a national standard/ datum and you are then told that the noise Scrutineer is a "judge of fact"and cannot be challenged, or their decision appealed.

Funnily enough I was going to ask about calibration but I did get the feeling the scrutinisers who were looking on really wanted the car to pass. We had been back so many times for the retest we were on each other's Christmas card list!
Old 20 Jun 2015, 21:54 (Ref:3552543)   #32
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although I very much doubt it's accurate it might be good enough to questions a 10DB difference.

I have an app on my phone that claims to measure noise (and does a load of other things.

It would be interesting, perhaps, to run that alongside the "official" tester.

Smart Tools.

There may be others around of course.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 05:56 (Ref:3552614)   #33
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ps ignored the diversion and drove straight through no prob
Thanks for that Nick, that's what I'll tell the policeman!
Old 21 Jun 2015, 06:00 (Ref:3552615)   #34
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
If there is anyone stopping you just say you are going to the golf club and they will let you through...if they ask about the car just say it's the wedding car for the marriage party (there really is one today!)...
Old 21 Jun 2015, 08:18 (Ref:3552641)   #35
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Nick JM;3552534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Petrol pump? Happened to me once in a road car ran perfectly up 65MPH but then just staggered along.

Well you are on the same lines as what I'm thinking. Revs freely when not In gear but under load simply won't go above 4500. It feels and sounds exactly like fuel starvation and to be frank the noise the fuel pump makes seems slower than usual but then when your head scratching you'll jump at anything. That's why I have the theory the battery is lacking in oomph to drive the fuel pump under load.

Come over and say hi. Red gazebo just down from Equipe GTS tent number91
Could it be the coil?

Ps.. Got some photos of your car during your brief trip on track yesterday.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 13:48 (Ref:3552711)   #36
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A small gallery from yesterday's wet racing here: Slightly damp !!!
Old 21 Jun 2015, 19:10 (Ref:3552796)   #37
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by percy View Post
A small gallery from yesterday's wet racing here: Slightly damp !!!
Fabulous pics. Thanks Percy for taking a few of mine. Sad we started from the back and had the misfire to boot otherwise we may have mixed it a bit more.

great fun those Equipe GTS chaps. Will go there again!!
Old 22 Jun 2015, 06:32 (Ref:3552910)   #38
bauble
Veteran

England
Nick. good to meet you and tellytubby yesterday, sorry you could not race, but discretion ...... etc.

Now I am to MG tuning what, Bernie E is to penury, however, is it possible your two problems are linked?

Failure to pull over 4500 and an, alleged, increase in exhaust levels, could this be exhaust valves allowing too much unburnt gas through causing loss of power and increased noise?

OK! I'll get me hat ............................
Old 22 Jun 2015, 10:55 (Ref:3552989)   #39
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How was Pete Foster after his accident, is he OK?
Old 22 Jun 2015, 11:58 (Ref:3553000)   #40
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chris, Pete seemed OK. Apparently strange accident; he and Brian (Arculus - Lotus Elite) just touched and the TR just took off.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 22 Jun 2015, 13:08 (Ref:3553016)   #41
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
How was Pete Foster after his accident, is he OK?

Just to confirm what John said - Pete is fine. He was at the Medical centre for a time, but normal procedure in the event of such a roll. Had a long conversation with him afterwards so know that he was OK.

He drove the car back from scrutineering to his trailer so hopefully the core integrity of the car is OK and the panel damage is simply that. Roll cage did its job properly.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3553097)   #42
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
[QUOTE=bauble;3552910]Nick. good to meet you and tellytubby yesterday, sorry you could not race, but discretion ...... etc.

Now I am to MG tuning what, Bernie E is to penury, however, is it possible your two problems are linked?

Failure to pull over 4500 and an, alleged, increase in exhaust levels, could this be exhaust valves allowing too much unburnt gas through causing loss of power and increased noise?

Good to meet you too Bauble.

You may be right re exhaust. I'll rolling road it when Delta is back in harness and reveal all!
Old 22 Jun 2015, 17:54 (Ref:3553098)   #43
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Just to confirm what John said - Pete is fine. He was at the Medical centre for a time, but normal procedure in the event of such a roll. Had a long conversation with him afterwards so know that he was OK.

He drove the car back from scrutineering to his trailer so hopefully the core integrity of the car is OK and the panel damage is simply that. Roll cage did its job properly.

I was standing about 100 yards away with Tellentubby. Looked horrific.

Barrel rolled about three times, before cartwheeling then skidded on its roof for about 40 yards before nudging a kerb which then righted it. Unbelievably Pete got out unscathed and even more remarkable the Marshalls were able to push it out of the way unaided by mechanicals.

Given what had happened the car did not actually look that badly damaged. Structural integrity was maintauned
Old 24 Jun 2015, 11:18 (Ref:3553575)   #44
MylesC
Rookie

MylesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone with a camera stick around for the All-comers race, race 14?..
Old 24 Jun 2015, 12:21 (Ref:3553594)   #45
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
Did anyone with a camera stick around for the All-comers race, race 14?..
Sure did Myles, and I have a fair number of shots of the Davrian, which I will put on my site and send you link from where you can download them if you like. Of course I have only pictures from the first part of the race, as the driver required an extended rest it seems, as he never reappeared after the pit stop.

Bauble.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 13:03 (Ref:3553600)   #46
MylesC
Rookie

MylesC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh great, thank you....Yes, we lost a fair amount of water from the rad or a hose in the front just before the pitstop.. We could not find where it was coming from when in the pits and it was too hot to start trying to top it up, so we called it a day. It was fun up until then though!
Old 24 Jun 2015, 15:12 (Ref:3553624)   #47
bauble
Veteran

England
Myles PM sent.

B.