Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2111357)   #101
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC driver
Did you call me Zef

Esper and I live in the same country against motorsport
So move to the UK.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2111528)   #102
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
So move to the UK.
not a bad idea........... all the islanders dream about a house in whatever france belgium or ???? a nice place in the Cotswolds is paradise or??????? well Cornwall would top that but looses on distance to racetracks
Old 22 Jan 2008, 22:56 (Ref:2111607)   #103
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esper
not a bad idea........... all the islanders dream about a house in whatever france belgium or ???? a nice place in the Cotswolds is paradise or??????? well Cornwall would top that but looses on distance to racetracks

Cotswolds on the Water, Buy a house in Cornwall and it will more than likely get washed away,but at least they have two local dishes,Pasties or Pixies on toast.Mind you,they do have plenty of firewood on the southern coast's these day's.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2111839)   #104
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
there was a police roadblock down our way stopping us from getting at it !

I've always wanted a solid teak shed!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2112008)   #105
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I'm sure if you were to ask around there must be someone who has the material Zef,How about Pozloski Timber Yard.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2112062)   #106
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
XRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plenty on the beach at Saltdean when I came through this morning, and no sign of the boys in blue Forget a shed, you could build a house with that lot!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2112063)   #107
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

if you are quick Zef you could go now as 20 000 plod are doing a protest march in central London
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2112095)   #108
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
[quote=LC driver]Did you call me Zef

No,He knows your name is LC Driver
Old 23 Jan 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2112098)   #109
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
if you are quick Zef you could go now as 20 000 plod are doing a protest march in central London
And there I was driving really slowly in case there were any speed cameras about.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2112221)   #110
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originality

I tried to watch GT Racer the other Sunday but my in-built Freeview at home kept cutting out so I gave up (I don't get any mobile signal either, roll on 2012 when I won't be able to talk or watch anyone from here!!).

There's a couple of things I'd like to know though, as I saw DD300 racing with what I thought were either Dutch or Belgian people. What I'd like to know is when did John Chatham die, when he did die did he get lots of money for new glasses from selling DD300 and the only verbal bit I heard was "this is the most original racing Healey and has never been changed"; do you want a bet??!!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2112237)   #111
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Keep up with all the banter guys, most of it is going over my head but i have a good chuckle anyway.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2112330)   #112
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw John Chatham at Race Retro in March. He didn't look well ........hadn't heard he'd died, and he's a large motor sporing character here in the west country so I'd be surprised not to have caught something on the grapevine.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 08:14 (Ref:2112457)   #113
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
I tried to watch GT Racer the other Sunday but my in-built Freeview at home kept cutting out so I gave up (I don't get any mobile signal either, roll on 2012 when I won't be able to talk or watch anyone from here!!).

There's a couple of things I'd like to know though, as I saw DD300 racing with what I thought were either Dutch or Belgian people. What I'd like to know is when did John Chatham die, when he did die did he get lots of money for new glasses from selling DD300 and the only verbal bit I heard was "this is the most original racing Healey and has never been changed"; do you want a bet??!!
DD 300 is now french owned Gregor,as for the comment"Hardly ever changed",apart from being grossly over restored[yes,it does look lovely]even John thinks it looks too good.As for John, he did suffer a stroke a few years ago but as far as I know,he is still with us.On the Healey front,there are probably only three cars [Works] that have not been played around with,the most original is owned by Peter Riley.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2112463)   #114
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
DD 300 is now french owned Gregor,as for the comment"Hardly ever changed",apart from being grossly over restored[yes,it does look lovely]even John thinks it looks too good.As for John, he did suffer a stroke a few years ago but as far as I know,he is still with us.On the Healey front,there are probably only three cars [Works] that have not been played around with,the most original is owned by Peter Riley.
sorry DD300 is dutch owned! DD 300 was restored 2 years ago completely (probably the 20th time since the sixties)
Old 24 Jan 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2112777)   #115
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I stand corrected,thanks Esper. I find it hard to belive that John would have restored her though!
Old 25 Jan 2008, 07:53 (Ref:2113170)   #116
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was in the next door pit in 05 6 Hour to an immaculately restored works healey run by some Dutch guys - I seem to recall that they had problems with it all weekend - is this the same one? It was a definite Pebble Beach racer
Old 25 Jan 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2113189)   #117
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
If it was in British Rcing Green with some front wheel spats in silver ,then yes ,that was it. I only ever remember it as looking a little scruffy,just how it should and how John kept it.He would alwaus try winding me up over the works cars I restored.!
Old 25 Jan 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2113257)   #118
simon drabble
Veteran

yup - that was the one - am I right in thinking it had an engine fire in practice?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2113262)   #119
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If it was in British Rcing Green with some front wheel spats in silver ,then yes ,that was it. I only ever remember it as looking a little scruffy,just how it should and how John kept it.He would alwaus try winding me up over the works cars I restored.!
I have a newspaper clipping from the early 70s from I think a SuperSaloon race and you can see DD300 with flared wheel arches and possibly a differant colour (I've not got the clipping to hand and is B&W, will check later for sure), was surprised when I saw it as I only knew of the car from the late '80 early '90s and as you say it always had a healthy patina (and I was always told original ), especially when compared to the Welch's cars.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2113466)   #120
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
I have a newspaper clipping from the early 70s from I think a SuperSaloon race and you can see DD300 with flared wheel arches and possibly a differant colour (I've not got the clipping to hand and is B&W, will check later for sure), was surprised when I saw it as I only knew of the car from the late '80 early '90s and as you say it always had a healthy patina (and I was always told original ), especially when compared to the Welch's cars.
Thats totally correct Gregor,it was in the usual shade of red,I think John got the Wings through John Gott,he had a batch made up for SMO746.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2113469)   #121
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
yup - that was the one - am I right in thinking it had an engine fire in practice?
Not sure on that Simon,I know it did have problems though.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2113582)   #122
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I used to own 6360 D was that famous :-)
Old 25 Jan 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2113665)   #123
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Certainly not a works car Al,mind you,you possibly made it IN-famous with blasting it around the lanes.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2113695)   #124
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its funny I owned that car in around 1966 and people used to think it was a brand new 'D' reg car, very good for impressing the ladies!
Old 27 Jan 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2114824)   #125
simon drabble
Veteran

I stumbled across the German round on the Dave Channel this lunchtime - I have to say that although it was not a "race report" it was a very watchable programme and certainly got me in the mood to don the lid and suit and start racing again after the winter break - only trouble is we still have at least two months to go!
One point though - a german E Type was towed back to the pits and repaired and went out again. I thought that if you were towed back you couldn't rejoin? Or was it a case of German on home soil?!
Wish I had seen the previous two programmes and if I am at home when the next episode is on I will certainly watch it - shouldn't the programme have a title that includes "Historic" so we have more chance of finding it?