Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:06 (Ref:1942461)   #1
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's Alonso trying to say?

Alonso quoted on the BBC website today:
Alonso added he is not upset that McLaren share his telemetry data with Hamilton.

"He gets my data but I also get his data," he said. "However, the one that gets the car ready on a Friday is me."

What does that mean.....Hamiltons only beating me because he copies my data

Sounds like despiration to me!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1942475)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, one thing he is saying that if LH was on his own he would have a much bigger hill to climb - lucky Lewis, he didn't have to come up the hard way via Minardi learning the technical stuff as he went. That's all.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1942481)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he's trying to say that hes more experienced than Hamilton, and so on a Friday whilst Hamilton is getting to know the track in the car, Alonso can do more setup work.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1942482)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Desperation? It certainly is. Every quote is being examined to the nth degree to desperately read something (usually negative) into to it.

To continue this excercise the article can be found here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/6222072.stm
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1942508)   #5
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Right you are Adam. FA is merely stating facts, the truth. I'm sure Lewis himself would also agree. But that is not to take anything away from LH. His driving style is not at all like Alonso's so I'm not sure how much he would actually gain from the shared data but LH is as cool as they come and is bound to get faster. I think that does worry FA. If Lewis continues to outqualify Alonso, he has already proven (to me) that he is as difficult to overtake as any veteran, and could spell the end to Alonso's WDC aspirations. The hype over LH is excessive but at this point it is hard not to be impressed.

Of course always starting at or near the front of the grid makes it easier for him and has allowed him to gain confidence and momentum. Personally, I'm looking forward to see how he does when he must work his way through traffic (other than lapped traffic of course) to try to get to the front. It is no easy task, as we all know. How he handles that scenario will speak volumes for me.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1942515)   #6
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
More mountains out of molehills. If Alonso had said that whilst comfortably beating Hamilton, nobody would bat an eyelid. But because Lewis is shading him, negative connotations must be read into everything he says.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 13:21 (Ref:1942525)   #7
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think its really funny that he is getting flustered by Lewis!

So what? He is acting like a kid, trying to defend himself!
Old 20 Jun 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1942530)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
It was on the radio, so he was probably winking at the time. With crossed fingers.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 16:37 (Ref:1942672)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I find it quite believable that Alonso does the better setup work. Lewis is a rookie and will only be learning this stuff from Alonso.

Really, to use this as yet another stick to batter Alonso with is nothing short of ludicrous.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 16:43 (Ref:1942678)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be amazed if Lewis isn't using Fernando's setups and racing lines, at least as a baseline. As he's only raced on 2 of the 7 tracks so far, it's hard to say conclusively whether his typical improvement against Alonso on Saturday relative to Friday is due to learning the tracks or getting the setups right, but it's something to watch out for. Most other rookies have not started off teamed with one of (if not THE) best car setup/development driver out there; it's another slight advantage that Lewis is making great use of.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 17:06 (Ref:1942693)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see that this is desperation on Alonso's part, meerly him stating that he has greater expertise in set ups, which when one considers Alonso's F1 experience relative to Hamilton it can only be expected. To be honest, I would be questioning Hamilton's methods if he wasn't utilising Alonso's experience to improve his performances.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1942726)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am sure the purpose of the comment is to make himself look better, but that does not mean that it is either untrue or intended to be some negative comment against Hamilton.

It is not remotely surprising that Alonso would be setting up a base on Friday whilst Lewis concentrates more on experience-running. This could quite easily be a team approach: it makes sense. I think it is important to note, too, IMO, that we should not take this comment to mean that Alonso does all the set-up whilst Lewis does nothing: I think it is meant to be taken as Alonso saying he is the driving force in it. Again, this is only logical (he knows what he is doing in this regard better than Lewis).

This still leaves set-up adjustments on Saturday/raceday to each driver to hone things more specifically to their individual desires. I personally think Lewis would do just fine if he had to it all on his own (just more work), but, thankfully for Lewis, Mclaren are a logical team.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 17:52 (Ref:1942730)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
People are continually looking in minute detail at everything everyone says and drawing too many conclusions. However this piece (on Button, but the point stands for all and mentions Alonso) gives a realistic view of it all:

http://www.autosport.com/asknigel/index.html/id/22439

and it contains the gem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebuck
.. certain TV interviewers and journalists...

Last edited by Adam43; 20 Jun 2007 at 17:54.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1942755)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
More mountains out of molehills. If Alonso had said that whilst comfortably beating Hamilton, nobody would bat an eyelid. But because Lewis is shading him, negative connotations must be read into everything he says.
In bold is what the media / press are doing.

But Alonso is, in part, speaking truth. No doubt McLaren are sharing data as Hamilton woud need at least some guidance on set-up upon arriving at a new track.

I'm sure Alonso probably isn't that keen at the moment being this open with his settings, but in the end the benefit is for the team. And that is the ethos at McLaren.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 18:15 (Ref:1942761)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
and it contains the gem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Roebuck
...certain TV interviewers and journalists...
I was glad this irritates Nigel too, when I read that last week. At least one man involved in the sport retains common sense.

I do hope Goodman, Kravitz et al read it too.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 19:23 (Ref:1942810)   #16
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I find it quite believable that Alonso does the better setup work. Lewis is a rookie and will only be learning this stuff from Alonso.

Really, to use this as yet another stick to batter Alonso with is nothing short of ludicrous.
I concur. At least they share. I recall Johnny Herbert running into this problem when, after he beat his teammate, he was no longer allowed to view said teammate's data.
Some drivers put the "ME" in TEAM.
Alonso is not one of those.
It is very unlikely that Lewis can (yet) set up an F1 car as well, or as quickly, as Alonso. That's exactly why a smart team does not employ two rookies. This is nothing being made into gossip fodder.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1942874)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
My only thought is that Alonso can only choose the base set-up. After that it will have to be adjusted to suit the two drivers.

As Lewis referred to in the build-up to Sunday's race, Alonso tends to wear out the front tyres more (due to his violent turn-in style) and Lewis the rears (due to his preference for a tail happy style).

What was most impressive about Indianapolis was that whilst Alonso set the pace on Friday and Saturday morning, Lewis was working away at the areas where he was slower and finally pulled it all together when it mattered, in qualifying.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1942974)   #18
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you think Alonso was trying to say towards the end of the following video?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2b...board-vs-hamil
Old 20 Jun 2007, 23:44 (Ref:1943001)   #19
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Well, one thing he is saying that if LH was on his own he would have a much bigger hill to climb - lucky Lewis, he didn't have to come up the hard way via Minardi learning the technical stuff as he went. That's all.
It was all handed to him on a silver plate courtesy of uncle Ron!! Mix that with tallent that he has and focus (lets face it, all he had to do in his career is focus on driving and perfecting it) no money worries or anything unlike other drivers.

He also spent thousands of hours on the simulator for many years. So its no surprise he was better prepared than any other driver out there who started their careen in F1.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 02:29 (Ref:1943031)   #20
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Volume 4: Set Up, page 437, subsection C, paragraph 74, line 127 of the F1 drivers book of excuses.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 06:17 (Ref:1943089)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amier
It was all handed to him on a silver plate courtesy of uncle Ron!! Mix that with tallent that he has and focus (lets face it, all he had to do in his career is focus on driving and perfecting it) no money worries or anything unlike other drivers.

He also spent thousands of hours on the simulator for many years. So its no surprise he was better prepared than any other driver out there who started their careen in F1.
Unlike which other drivers? Most drivers in F1 come from money. If Ron did not help LH he would more than likely not have been given the chance for no other reason than moeny. Lets not oversimplify his achievements. He had to work just as hard as the rich boys who dont have to worry about money either. F1 is not a poor man sport. Racing is not a poor mans sport. Ant was not given a racing seat paritally because he would/could not buy one. So we need to stop saying he was given anything. Ron did not just choose someone. LH had talent and Ron spotted it bofore anyone in F1 did. LH was not given anything. What do the people who buy their seats have to worry about? They just have to drive, however they usually suck!

Back to the topic, Alonso is feeling pressure and the media is asking him very tough questions. Its difficult to remain completely unbiased when you feel the team and the entire sport is biased. Its a Cinderella story, everyone wants to see the underdog win. LH came up poor, he was discovered early and could possibly win the title in his first year beating the best racer in F1. Thats a story!! Alonso did not have to say that LH is getting his setups. In fact I am not sure that is compeltely accurate. LH seems to be fast from the first lap. Alonso is the one that usually lags behind and slowly makes up spots. Maybe Alonso meant he was helping LH with the setup for Canada and the US. I dont envy Alonso one bit. He is in a very difficult position at this point. He feels he has to prove himself even though he is 2 times champ. Anyone would find it hard to not let little things slip out from time to time.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 06:57 (Ref:1943100)   #22
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren have the two best drivers at the moment.

There will be days when one or the other does a better job and I think both Lewis and Alonso will realise that this is the best mindset to cope with the hype. That way they might both find a way of working together for two or three years.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1943123)   #23
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm sick of the media, all they are doing is stirring. tv, radio, press they are all at it. the only objective info i've seen and heard in the last few months has been radio five live extra (beats itv race commentary by miles!) and pitpass.com. i'm purposely ignoring all the rest, and that includes the the non-uk media too.

all we have is a x2 world champion and an extremely talented rookie, who's been given an amazing break by being in the right team at the right time. very few drivers get that opportunity, which is why so many good drivers never won a race or championship. lewis will have a problem in the car very soon, his start has been extraordinary. either he'll make a mistake (he spun in the last GP2 race remember?), will be taken off or the car will fail. i'm almost hoping for that day, as it might put some perspective in to people....

...it'll never fix the media tho
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1943159)   #24
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I agree, we need him to screw up a few times in order to calm the silly media and f1 people who are creating a saint like robotic character out of him saying he is the best thing since sliced bread.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:49 (Ref:1943172)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That doesn't actually solve the problem. The problem is with the reporting, not with the driver.