Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2024, 20:28 (Ref:4203648)   #101
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Possibly you are overlooking the fact that Alonso admitted, and the data confirmed, that after his initial braking early - which again he admitted was his mistake - Alonso has admitted he cocked up his approach to the corner, and he was desperately trying to put off Russell so as to avoid the inevitable immediately after they hit the straight and the DRS.
I think it is likely Alonso “admitted” to all of this after he got his hand caught in the cookie jar.My guess it was a premeditated piece of driving to lessen Russel’s DRS advantage in the upcoming zone.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 21:05 (Ref:4203651)   #102
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Not saying this isn't true, but can you point to a source for that information?

Richard
No official source I'm afraid but I have read several accounts of people that have viewed Russel's data. The view seems to be that he broke 10m later than normal & was carrying 10kp/h more speed than previous laps in order to get a good exit.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 21:33 (Ref:4203652)   #103
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
No official source I'm afraid but I have read several accounts of people that have viewed Russel's data. The view seems to be that he broke 10m later than normal & was carrying 10kp/h more speed than previous laps in order to get a good exit.

As I wrote before, that would a very significant detail that would have a bearing on the Stewards deliberations. Yet it is not mentioned at all in their report which makes me think that it's possibly the result of Chinese Whispers or even a conspiracy theory by those who cannot believe what is written.
Old 2 Apr 2024, 21:51 (Ref:4203653)   #104
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
Far enough. I can believe that, but would like to see actual reports vs. gossip. I could paraphrase Alonso's comment in that drivers should not be expected to drive exactly the same lap after lap. So if Russell wanted to attack on the corner and carry more speed into it, that would be allowable. Was that speed excessive and caused (or would have caused) the crash when viewed in isolation of other facts? More thoughts below...

Quote:
It's certainly not in the Stewards' report which I would have thought they would have mentioned as it may well have been a contributing element. Oh, I should add that the Stewards also had all the data and telemetry for Mercedes as well as from Aston Martin.
I think the overall wording of the Steward's decision is important. They don't try to address "why" Alonso was doing what he was doing. Just that the action was dangerous. They also don't delve into the cause of the accident other than listing Russell's comment that the unexpected closing of distanced resulted in loss of front end aero mid-corner.

I leave room for the potential for George to have screwed it up all on his own, but that is a hypothetical that would have to remove Alonso and his actions from the situation. That can't really be done. But if you tried, the only potential way is if Russell's telemetry shows he had no chance of making the corner at his entry speed. Meaning that regardless of what Alonso did Russell was going to crash. And I am assuming (as you say Mike) that the stewards looked at this data and felt that this was not the case, or was a lesser factor than Alonso's actions. I think if Russell's telemetry showed he had no chance to make the corner Alonso's team would have used that information to fight back during the stewards discussion or part of an appeal.

I don't have super strong feelings on this. What I am more passionate about is the statements from others as to cause that are more about "feelings" and in which it seems the information that is available is ignored. Or... that the level of games Alonso was playing in that corner is acceptable.

The stewards can clearly get things wrong. But I think this likely ended up being a very "evidence" or objective based ruling vs. a more subjective call such as something like "who owned a corner when there was contact" or that type of judgement call.

Richard
Old 3 Apr 2024, 08:44 (Ref:4203694)   #105
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I just think ive seen far worse driving go unpunished so I dont know, maybe its a new directive or something, but the likes of Verstappen, Schumacher, Perez have all done things that have been very dangerous on track and in some cases they have been punished (granted), but I think in some other situations they got away with it.

Perhaps not directly related to the crash, but wouldn't it be great if F1 could reach a point where the front wings are purely there for handling tweaking and not actually to generate thousands of kilos of downforce? If the front wing "only" generated say 100kg of downforce @ 250kph you probably wouldn't have had this accident. I think in this case you could argue that actually it was a contributing factor in the accident. The problem is though is that all the teams and single seaters in general are drunk on downforce so getting them to sober up off of it is going to be a tough ask.

Last edited by Sodemo; 3 Apr 2024 at 08:50.
Old 3 Apr 2024, 08:55 (Ref:4203697)   #106
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I just think ive seen far worse driving go unpunished so I dont know, maybe its a new directive or something, but the likes of Verstappen, Schumacher, Perez have all done things that have been very dangerous on track and in some cases they have been punished (granted), but I think in some other situations they got away with it.

I believe that the tightened the rules about this type of driving in the last few years, but they tightened them further this season plus they included the potential for the Stewards to penalise drivers with a pits' drive through, which is up from a ten second penalty. This is also included in the Stewards' report.

It would appear that the FIA seems to be attempting to stop erratic and/or dangerous driving, which is what Alonso was penalised for. We shall have to see whether they are consistent with this in the future, but somehow I doubt it as they do not have the same team of Stewards at each and every race. One man's poison, etc.
Old 3 Apr 2024, 21:33 (Ref:4203780)   #107
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
The fact that Alonso got the equivalent of a drive-thru for what was at worst, a little clumsy, and that F3 kid Tsolov got a three place grid penalty for directly swerving into a competitor causing him to crash is wild.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 09:21 (Ref:4203805)   #108
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
The fact that Alonso got the equivalent of a drive-thru for what was at worst, a little clumsy, and that F3 kid Tsolov got a three place grid penalty for directly swerving into a competitor causing him to crash is wild.
This is a fair point to be honest.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 09:34 (Ref:4203807)   #109
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Can’t disagree with that. Intent should have more to do with it. Definitely what Tsolov did was worse
Old 4 Apr 2024, 11:32 (Ref:4203823)   #110
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:

As I don't follow F3, can I assume this was a race held during the GP meeting?

If so, the problem arises that, looking on the FIA website, the F3 race is not an official FIA championship and therefore, I assume again, that the race director and stewards for that race would have been different to those who oversaw the F1 race.

This may account for the different disciplinary outcomes which is unfortunate to say the least.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 11:39 (Ref:4203825)   #111
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As I don't follow F3, can I assume this was a race held during the GP meeting?

If so, the problem arises that, looking on the FIA website, the F3 race is not an official FIA championship and therefore, I assume again, that the race director and stewards for that race would have been different to those who oversaw the F1 race.

This may account for the different disciplinary outcomes which is unfortunate to say the least.

F3 is an official FIA championship.

https://www.fia.com/events/formula-3.../fia-formula-3
Old 4 Apr 2024, 11:43 (Ref:4203828)   #112
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

Yes and I assume it has the same stewards as F1 too? Which would make their contradicting punishments even more bizarre
Old 4 Apr 2024, 12:56 (Ref:4203843)   #113
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post

BJ, I think that that is the European Championship, and I don't think that was in Australia.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 13:08 (Ref:4203844)   #114
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
BJ, I think that that is the European Championship, and I don't think that was in Australia.

This page from Formula1.com lists the events and their times for the Australia GP, like practice sessions, qualifying etc., and included is FIA Formula 3, with the first practice session from 08:50 - 09:35.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article/formula-1-rolex-australian-grand-prix-2024-timetable.35pSr8fOjnAg44Th7E8bOm
Old 4 Apr 2024, 13:19 (Ref:4203847)   #115
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Current season FIA F3 info is here: https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formu.../fia-formula-3
Old 4 Apr 2024, 13:27 (Ref:4203849)   #116
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was an FIA F3 race in Australia. Same weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vuupMbOSLY

Video of the incident.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 13:30 (Ref:4203850)   #117
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm. 3 place grid penalty? He shouldn't have been on the grid at all after that.....
Old 4 Apr 2024, 13:34 (Ref:4203851)   #118
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Firstly, apologies for my stupidity.

However, looking at the Stewards reports, they did have different Stewards for both races. I'm going to guess that they possibly also had a different race director as well.

By the way, I don't disagree with the proposition that the driver under discussion shouldn't have also received at least the same penalty if what is claimed, and I have no knowledge either way, took place.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 14:06 (Ref:4203856)   #119
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Hmmm. 3 place grid penalty? He shouldn't have been on the grid at all after that.....

Yes, it’s time stewards came down harder on this type of driving
Old 4 Apr 2024, 14:57 (Ref:4203860)   #120
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Current season FIA F3 info is here: https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formu.../fia-formula-3
Alternately there is a dedicated FIA F3 website for its championship. Under the "Guide to F3" link on that page it refers to it being the official third rung on the road to F1 ladder and later in the section linked highlights FOM is responsible for the marketing of the FIA F3 championship to ensure global reach and appeal. .

Quote:
.... to form an official third rung of the Road to F1 ladder. Combining GP3 and European F3, the idea was to create a defined entry point for young and ambitious drivers to join the Formula 1 circus, and to give them the chance to take the path to join their heroes in the main paddock.
https://www.fiaformula3.com/About/6S...hampionship-f3