Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Jun 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1637837)   #726
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anybody have any idea why Joest may not have R10s for the LMS season? Saw reported on Mariantic sports car new website (http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/default.asp) Does this also reflect the ALMS seqason, supposedly going to have 2 cars racing here after the next round. They have been running R8s for the first races and planned to replace then, team supported by Champion racing but called Audi Sport NA. Has Joest been runnin a car in LMS or just testing for Audi?

Also has anybody else seen this article? Taken from autofieldguiude.com

Audi is in. Peugeot says it will be next. Other manufacturers are certain to follow their lead and build diesel engines for endurance racing. Where does this leave the privateer? If you listen to Dave Morrison, the business operations manager for Ricardo Motorsport, and Russ Wakeman, technical director at Ricardo’s Detroit Technology Campus (www.ricardo.com), running a race team without factory support doesn’t mean you have to do without the latest technology.

“If you are willing to relax the cylinder pressures a bit,” says Morrison, “then you limit the Pmax [the maximum in-cylinder pressure] to 130 to 140 bar and get a much lighter engine.” This reduces the fuel economy below what a diesel running higher pressures would see, but makes the structure less critical in the overall design. In fact, it is possible to take a racing gasoline engine and convert it to run as a diesel, which is what Ricardo has done. They started with a standard 5.0-liter version of the Judd GV5 V10, changed the top end (heads, port shapes, valve sizes, fuel injection system, replacing the spark plugs with injectors), and added a pair of turbochargers. “We had to change the fuel pump to one that could handle diesel and produce 1,600 bar in the common rail system,” says Morrison. To which Wakeman adds: “The combustion is completely different, but—beyond getting a spark plug out and a compact injector in—that’s about the level of redesign needed.” As such, they expect the Ricardo-Judd diesel to be very cost effective when compared to Audi’s V12. If they can find a team willing to finance the project, the engine should be ready for testing in a chassis this fall.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1637860)   #727
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would think Audi will use the spare chassis for testing and as a backup for the ALMS cars (assuming they still only have 3 cars?)

Joest will likely get an R10 or two for the 2007 LMS, maybe Oreca also.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1663367)   #728
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Audi is bringing out a 128 pages book about the R10: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=2378
Old 24 Jul 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1663372)   #729
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
Audi is bringing out a 128 pages book about the R10: http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=2378
It says English version is available too
Old 24 Jul 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1663376)   #730
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
It says English version is available too
The book seems to be in both English and German judging from the preview pages.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1663382)   #731
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
same publisher as Autodrome (German version which isn't called Autodrome)
Old 16 Aug 2006, 12:18 (Ref:1684122)   #732
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Interesting claim by Murphy the Bear:
Quote:
There are some rumblings that not only do the ACO and IMSA rules so blatantly favor the diesel as to make it unbeatable, but that in fact the car is quite illegal by those very rules. A careful reading of Article 3.6.1 of the lAutomobile Club de l’Ouest leads some to that conclusion.
source: http://murphythebear.com/blog/2006/0...is-on-his-way/
Old 16 Aug 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1684128)   #733
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
It seems I was a bit late. Mulsanne Mike already commented on this and seems to agree. See http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1684053
Old 17 Aug 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1684763)   #734
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
It seems I was a bit late. Mulsanne Mike already commented on this and seems to agree. See http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1684053
Also see http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html
Old 17 Aug 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1684829)   #735
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know how the Ricardo-Judd diesel is coming along - the last I heard was they got a small grant from the MIA in order to get a converted V10 judd-diesel engine running on the dyno - no small feat.......but they will need a proper investor to take the engine further.......as Ricardo are now well in bed with JCB on the diesel-max project - surely they would be interested - now I'm sure theres a joke in that somewhere!.......I can imagine the grid now , Lola-JCB, Courage-JCB, Creation-JCB...... ........but seriously - it would be great fro this project to take off in my opinion
Old 17 Aug 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1684834)   #736
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there was JCB branding on a Courage this year...
Old 17 Aug 2006, 09:57 (Ref:1684845)   #737
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium

@knighty: very much please discuss this in the apropriate thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77094
Old 8 Mar 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1861261)   #738
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
The recent Audi press release (available here) describes the improvement in the 2007 version.
  • reduced fuel-cell volume by mounting a partition in the tank
  • motor electronics further optimised
    • improvement in efficiency, consumption, durability and drivability
    • maximum power unchanged, but improved power curve
  • minor aerodynamic modifications ("only visible to the trained eye")
  • friction and weight levels of the entire powertrain reduced
  • two diesel particle filters smaller and lighter
  • new tyre compounds and constructions from Michelin to improve the balance between front and rear axles
The press release explicitely states they will do ALMS.
Quote:
The defending Champions Capello/McNish (R10 TDI number 1) and Pirro/Werner (R10 TDI number 2) are planned to be the drivers for the entire American Le Mans Series.
The 3th Le Mans entry supposely is uncertain.
Quote:
Audi has entered a third R10 TDI for Le Mans. However the entry is subject to sufficient finance being found.
The new livery is lovely. I am curious about the livery of the 2nd and 3th car. Last year the yellow livery didn't really work. Perhaps they should paint everything yellow, instead of only the rollbars.

Last edited by gwyllion; 8 Mar 2007 at 09:55.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 10:04 (Ref:1861277)   #739
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
I just noticed a nice details in the livery: http://car.kak.net/bilder/audi.sport...i_2007-15s.jpg
Old 8 Mar 2007, 12:12 (Ref:1861391)   #740
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The new livery is lovely. I am curious about the livery of the 2nd and 3th car. Last year the yellow livery didn't really work. Perhaps they should paint everything yellow, instead of only the rollbars.
The number 1 was in the press conference and it has silver roll hoop tops and turbo inlets. The press photos of number 2 show red tops and inlets.

1: http://car.kak.net/bilder/audi.sport...i_2007-01s.jpg
2: http://car.kak.net/bilder/audi.sport...i_2007-04s.jpg
Old 8 Mar 2007, 12:28 (Ref:1861398)   #741
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're not kidding about the minor aero modifications. I guess I definitely don't have the trained eye
Old 8 Mar 2007, 17:38 (Ref:1861625)   #742
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Maybe http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=3266 helps. The only difference I can identify is the cooling vents on the side next to the Shell logo.

The ALMS position indicators are also missing on this studio pictures.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1861629)   #743
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rear deck is now smooth like it was in the first photos over a year ago. Last year they had to add small humps to clear the particle filters.
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir10-2.html
Old 8 Mar 2007, 20:21 (Ref:1861719)   #744
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think that they're photo shops. For the simple reason that almost all the pic look like the '06 promo photos. Audi(and many other car companies) do this with a lot of their cars(changing colors, backgrounds, minor details, etc.) to save time and money, and only need one car for numerous pics.

I like the new paint scheme far better than the old monochromatic Joest/factory paint schemes.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 20:59 (Ref:1861769)   #745
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
chern that was my first impression but the angles are a little different. I suggest that they are real.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1861773)   #746
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree chernaudi, infact i would say this is by far the nicest paintscheme on an audi LMP car to date, it looks fantastic in every way this new paintjob.

is the joest and champion cars going to share the same paintscheme btw?, albeit just with different coloured rollhoop tops?
Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1861776)   #747
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The exhaust outlets appear to be different too, so I don't think its a photoshop.
Old 8 Mar 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1861861)   #748
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
The exhaust outlets appear to be different too, so I don't think its a photoshop.
Audi switched to Dow particle filters 8 weeks before Sebring because of problems with the original one (so after the 2006 R10 photo shoot).

See http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjune06.html and http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir10-2.html
Old 9 Mar 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1862338)   #749
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
I would say this is by far the nicest paintscheme on an audi LMP car to date
What about the Alligator R8 or the Gulf R8?
Old 9 Mar 2007, 14:03 (Ref:1862346)   #750
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice livery, simple but classy. cant for the life of me see what they have changd aerodynamically though!