Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Oct 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3322518)   #1
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick Bunting leaves the MSA

MSA PR:
The Motor Sports Association (MSA) has confirmed that by mutual consent Nick Bunting will leave his position as MSA Chief Executive with immediate effect.

“Nick was recruited to undertake a specific transitional role to prepare the MSA for future transformation,” said Alan Gow, MSA Chairman. “He has undertaken an internal restructure of the staff and functional departments, implemented a new IT system, reviewed our business structures and begun the establishment of a customer-focused culture.

“Nick has also reviewed the strategic opportunities for the MSA’s future in such areas as participant development, championship structures, regulations and marketing and communications. During his tenure he has successfully laid out the pathway for this transition and identified that a specific style of leadership is required to achieve this. Therefore, by mutual consent, he has decided not to take up the possibility of the continued role as MSA Chief Executive.

“On behalf of the Motor Sports Association, I am grateful to Nick for his work and commitment this year and wish him every success in his future career.”

Nick Bunting said: “I have very much enjoyed working with the MSA staff and all the dedicated volunteers and organisations within the sport. It has been an interesting challenge to understand the motor sport environment and I am grateful for the support that has been given to me from all quarters. I am delighted that we have been able to effect some changes that will enable the sport and the organisation to move forward and I wish the MSA and everyone connected with British motor sport every success in the future.”

Following Nick Bunting’s departure, MSA General Secretary Rob Jones has been appointed as Acting CEO.

I met Nick a couple of times when he was visiting the regional associations and he quickly gasped the issues that motorsport and the MSA has.
Sadly it looks as though the Blazers made it impossible to reform the governing body.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3322552)   #2
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sorry - frozen out by the 'establishment', I wonder? ....... or perhaps shocked by the conflicts of interest such as the BTCC. I'll say no more!
Old 24 Oct 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3322569)   #3
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who got the Bunting out ?

Sorry but that was just too good to pass up
Old 24 Oct 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3322582)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
how long was that, 6 months?
Old 24 Oct 2013, 13:53 (Ref:3322583)   #5
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yes, I think he started in May. He made a point of gettign out and listening to people, something unknown to most of those in the mSA and buy the time I met him on July he had a good grasp on the failings of the MSA and the need for more democracy. No doubt those in control did not want change and are happy to see the sport wither away.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3322593)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Yes, I think he started in May. He made a point of gettign out and listening to people, something unknown to most of those in the mSA and buy the time I met him on July he had a good grasp on the failings of the MSA and the need for more democracy. No doubt those in control did not want change and are happy to see the sport wither away.
We gotta be careful what we say about the MSA on here, particularly those of us who are a licence holders, but suffice it to say that his departure speaks volumes about how 'challenging' it will be to ever reform that place.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3322599)   #7
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm - Allan Dean Lewis is visiting the ANCC quarterly meet on Monday.......might have to ask a question or two
Old 24 Oct 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3322605)   #8
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can somebody please tell me why we need the msa
Old 24 Oct 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3322610)   #9
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by big andy View Post
Because we are all delinquent children who need to be shown the error of our ways by the Good and the Great, at our expense.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3322647)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
We need something to sort out rules so that you can go to any circuit in the country and know what the flags mean, how the meetings are run and be sure that there is consistency in their application. In theory.

I remember a discussion on similar lines on a karting forum. Karting is very much breaking away from MSA but they still refer back to MSA rules on eligibility etc! Also each individual circuit has its own tweaks and some bright spark suggested that they homogenise by getting together with the other circuits and forming a set of central rules. An MSA lite by any other name but with people in charge who have a vested interest, a recipe for disaster.

I'm no particular apologist for the MSA but they do a reasonable job. Be careful what you wish for Big Andy, in case you get it.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3322655)   #11
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Being serious they were granted the permission by an act of parliament to organise / oversee motorsport in the British Isles in the very early part of the 20th century, the only thing that's changed is Eire is independent of Britain requiring its own authority.
(I wonder how Scotland is going to get on if it becomes independent)

I think that the gov't would have to relicense it by another Act of Parliament if it moved from the MSA.

Last edited by FastDB2s; 24 Oct 2013 at 18:10.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 18:04 (Ref:3322658)   #12
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The potential benefit is that without the MSA you wouldn't get people like me!
Old 24 Oct 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3322689)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Keep hold of nurse for fear . . .
Old 24 Oct 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3322721)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I found myself dragged onto the MSA Euroclassic this year.

It was one of the best old car runs years ago and I did eleven.

This year seemed to have no thought or organisation and probably to give the people from MSA a weeks jolly rather than the punters

Probably similar to other MSA ills that some of us are aware of.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3322865)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
Being serious they were granted the permission by an act of parliament to organise / oversee motorsport in the British Isles in the very early part of the 20th century, the only thing that's changed is Eire is independent of Britain requiring its own authority.
(I wonder how Scotland is going to get on if it becomes independent)

I think that the gov't would have to relicense it by another Act of Parliament if it moved from the MSA.
That's to use the public road as a race track. Other bodies are allowed to organise motor sport otherwise how come oval racing etc?

As and from the mid-90s you also bring into play the RTA itself which was amended to include places that were previously "private land" and racing tracks come under that heading. Unless an event is organised by a recognised body, one of which is the MSA, you can be prosecuted for dangerous driving on a race track and having bald tyres!

There are a number of other bodies but for all intents and purposes it is the MSA that keeps us our road driving licences.

Interestingly, that is only for those of us using modified versions of road cars. Single seater racing cars, karts etc were never intended to go on the road so are not "motor vehicles" within the meaning of the law.

I did a lot of work on this when working on various skid pans, and did find other governing bodies besides the MSA who could look after us. However, none of them are capable of running race meetings.

Apart from giving us central rules, keeping us on the right side of the law, giving a judicial system of appeal, well, apart from that, I mean, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Old 25 Oct 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3322887)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
. . .
I did a lot of work on this when working on various skid pans, and did find other governing bodies besides the MSA who could look after us. However, none of them are capable of running race meetings.

Apart from giving us central rules, keeping us on the right side of the law, giving a judicial system of appeal, well, apart from that, I mean, what have the Romans ever done for us?
And only the MSA is recognised by the FIA so only MSA licensed drivers and circuits etc. can have anything to do with International car motorsport.

Regards

Jim
Old 25 Oct 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3322930)   #17
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
And only the MSA is recognised by the FIA so only MSA licensed drivers and circuits etc. can have anything to do with International car motorsport.

Regards

Jim
Apparently "the FIA have sole regulatory control over international motorsport".

What isn't clear is who if anyone granted them this power and why they would be allowed a monopoly.

There are some high profile series that do well without the FIA - Nascar being fairly prominent, but they might not stray too far abroad.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 16:09 (Ref:3322976)   #18
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Good question, well put. For a somewhat heavy partial answer (?) see:

http://www.academia.edu/1190383/The_...l_Sport_System

Quote:
ABSTRACT
The international sport system exists and operates as a self-regulating private legal order that is governed by international non-governmental organizations, such as the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and international sport federations(IFs). Nation states have deferred to this regulatory autonomy by either refraining from enacting legislation governing national sport bodies, or adopting legislation that recognizes the near exclusive authority of the IOC and IFs over national sport organizations and national Olympic committees. Similarly, with respect to dispute resolution, the emergence of private sports arbitration tribunals, both at the national and international level, has substantially reduced the ability of national courts to intervene into sporting disputes. The effect of these developments has been to shield the autonomy of the international sport system from regulation by national legal systems. From a national law perspective, this self-regulation has significant implications when the rules and regulations of international sport bodies contravene fundamental principles of equity and fairness, typically enshrined in and protected by domestic human rights law. This concern was realized in the recent case of
Sagen v. Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
, wherein several female ski jumpers brought a constitutional challenge against the Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee for implementing the IOC’s decision not to include women’s ski jumping in the 2010 Olympic Programme. The purpose of this paper is to examine whether current systems of regulation within the sport system, specifically, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and the IOC Ethics Commission, are able to provide the necessary oversight over international sport bodies that national legal systems are often unable to provide. It is argued that CAS, as the more suitable regulator, has both the authority and an obligation to exercise a greater supervisory role over the international sport system
Not quite a knock down answer but you can see the sort of approach being taken. To paraphrase (INLA):

"These bodies have set themselves up, have governing constitutions and various nation states have allowed them to act in these ways so they have been incorporated into national law. In addition some have involvement in international treaties and agreements. "

Regards

Jim
Old 25 Oct 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3322977)   #19
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The FIA
the FIA have sole regulatory control over international motorsport
And I guess they define anything not under their control as "Not international motorsport".

Jim
Old 26 Oct 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3323255)   #20
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A discussion on Pistonheads reveals that there is no legal issue with anyone organising International Motor sport events.
But the FIA have a rather large pre-existing network and experience which would be rather hard to match.
Apart from issues of not being allowed to do FIA events if you take part in a rival event (which they might not be stupid enough to try to enforce since that would clearly breach anti-competition laws) they do have the advantage of being accepted by insurers etc.

Wouldn't it be nice if one of the Historic Motor Racing organisers was brave enough to go it alone and to establish an International Federation for Historic Motor Racing. One of those outfits was getting large enough to do it but has recently gone to the dark side...
Old 27 Oct 2013, 08:44 (Ref:3323544)   #21
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see if there is going to be a pay-off and if so, the size of it. Let's not forget this is our money the MSA is playing with.
Old 27 Oct 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3323611)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
A discussion on Pistonheads reveals that there is no legal issue with anyone organising International Motor sport events.
But the FIA have a rather large pre-existing network and experience which would be rather hard to match.
Apart from issues of not being allowed to do FIA events if you take part in a rival event (which they might not be stupid enough to try to enforce since that would clearly breach anti-competition laws) they do have the advantage of being accepted by insurers etc.

Wouldn't it be nice if one of the Historic Motor Racing organisers was brave enough to go it alone and to establish an International Federation for Historic Motor Racing. One of those outfits was getting large enough to do it but has recently gone to the dark side...
The karting community have long had issues with the MSA and about 20 years ago various groups began to splinter off. In the beginning the MSA threatened licence holders with expulsion if they participated in unsanctioned events... until it was indeed actually pointed out to them that such a move was in breach of competition law (!)

In karting, there's never been a cohesive alternative to the MSA and as has been said earlier many of these independently organized operations mirror the technical regs of the FIA-CIK/MSA, however it's estimated that the non-MSA karting scene is as big in numbers as the MSA... so the loss in revenue for the MSA must really hurt.

I think the vast majority of those who participate in non MSA karting would be happy to fold in under the MSA provided it was willing to govern the sport in a way that properly met the needs of its members.