Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1497814)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I use a number of display cabinets with glass sliding doors. The models get dusty enough even then, so displaying them without some form of see- through cover is a definite no, no. The trouble is that collections soon get too large and you run out of wall space; so then you either rotate the colection on display, which is a pain, or you finish up with a load of models in boxes, that you rarely look at. My models are primarily to 1/43 scale; I cannot imagine how you would display a large collection of bigger scale models, unless you own a very substantial property, I guess!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1497867)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I've got two display cabinets on the wall, one has my F1 models the other touring cars and Group B cars. All the models are 1/43 and I've got a few in the loft because I don't have enough space for them all. I've also got a load of 1/24 models that I've built from Tamiya kits, currently these are all still packed in boxes (haven't been unpacked from the house move). I don't have anywhere to put them at the moment so they're staying where they are for now (and the unbuilt kits don't look like getting done anytime soon )
Old 11 Jan 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1499323)   #28
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello,

I have one wall mounted display cabinet with 50 (I think) 1/43 scale cars in. Six cars live "out" in various other places and get dusty! Another 50 or so live in a plastic box in the loft. Also in the loft is my collection of "unbuilt but will get round to them one day" models ranging from 1/43 to very old Tamiya Jim Clark Lotus 49 in 1/12 scale.

I also have quite a collection of warplanes to be made but that's another story.

Nick
Old 12 Jan 2006, 11:22 (Ref:1499817)   #29
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got 5 cabinets with glass doors which hold c.80 1/43 each. All cars removed from boxes and plinths.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 11:42 (Ref:1499837)   #30
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, the plinths take up far too much space.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1500095)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it possible to get any form of cabinet that keeps dust to an absolute minimum?

I daren't take my cars out of their boxes as I just know that when it comes to dusting them down there will be snapped winglets and mirrors everywhere.

I want to get my Montoya and Kimi display up and running and I am all out of space to display the boxes. So they need to be in a cabinet, but no way if it is dust city.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 23:35 (Ref:1500260)   #32
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Is it possible to get any form of cabinet that keeps dust to an absolute minimum?

I daren't take my cars out of their boxes as I just know that when it comes to dusting them down there will be snapped winglets and mirrors everywhere.

I want to get my Montoya and Kimi display up and running and I am all out of space to display the boxes. So they need to be in a cabinet, but no way if it is dust city.

Mine are completely dust free. Had them built to order by a bloke in Ipswich. www.dscshowcases.co.uk IIRC
Old 22 Jan 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1506987)   #33
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
my old man has a cabinet which was made specially, contains all of the jordans from when they were founded. has pride of place in his study!
Old 6 May 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1601901)   #34
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Model display cabinets?

Can anyone point me to were I can pick up display cabinets for 1/18 diecast models.

Any style or size will be considered.
Old 6 May 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1601923)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have any models I have on various shelves around the house. SO I see them by accident if you see what I mean. So I can't help that much, however there have been a coupleof similar threads in the past that may give some hints. Although they aren't specifically about where to get them.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78084
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62076
Old 6 May 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1601956)   #36
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheers Adam.

Hmm....I'm still looking for cabinets myself. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't cover storage for 100 plus models. So the attic it is!
Old 6 May 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1601973)   #37
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Can anyone point me to were I can pick up display cabinets for 1/18 diecast models.

Any style or size will be considered.
Try this, they have all sizes.
Picture Pride
Old 6 May 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1601988)   #38
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have some cabinets that are from IkEA and can store most scales.
Old 6 May 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1601999)   #39
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unfortuantely I have around 50 1:18 F1 cars and one of my cabinets can only house 12 cars the rest are in boxes trapping me in my room....
Old 9 May 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1604461)   #40
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hill
Try this, they have all sizes.
Picture Pride
These people custom built me a couple of large display cabinets which would hold up to 80 1:18 models if only I could afford them They did a top job, at a fair price, and were always helpful even putting up with me changing specs halfway through the order process. They were friendly and polite from the moment I first contacted them to the day I collected them from their workshop. Which is more than I can say for their rivals (I contacted 10 to 12 different companies)
Old 10 May 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1605497)   #41
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
I have some cabinets that are from IkEA and can store most scales.

Thats what I use as well..
I have a large (6'2" tall) cabinet with 4 shelves and 4 glass doors..
4 shelves gives me 6 compartments so I bought some cheap lights and fitted them via a gang socket behind the cabinet and so also have the cabinet illuminated..

Whole lot probably cost £120...

Looks pretty neat as well...
Old 18 Aug 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1686153)   #42
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My 1/18 collection (large photos)

Finally bought a cabinet, now I need a second!

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2...2006096uf5.jpg

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/2...2006097kp6.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/3...2006098eo0.jpg

Last edited by Knowlesy; 19 Aug 2006 at 21:51.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1686164)   #43
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very nice. I have your Bentley and Merc.
I have all of my F1 1:18s in a cabinet. Wooden one that is now. I'm thinking of seling most of 1:18s as I prefer 1:43s and most of them I got just so I could. So there's Mattel that I don't like at all.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1686236)   #44
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Those Saubers are gorgeous!

Nice one - anyone else care to post a photo of their collections?
Old 18 Aug 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1686349)   #45
JAG
Veteran

England
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/174...2006106zp1.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9...2006104bx0.jpg

Last edited by Knowlesy; 19 Aug 2006 at 21:52.
Old 19 Aug 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1686561)   #46
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Nice one - anyone else care to post a photo of their collections?
Agreed, but smaller, please! These distort the page and breach the site rules on size. Any chance that we can reduce them a bit JAG?
Old 19 Aug 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1686796)   #47
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

JAG, I linked the images as they are a bit big. If you reduce them to the sizes we allow, PM me the links and I'll stick 'em in.

Old 17 Oct 2007, 17:49 (Ref:2042887)   #48
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Finally bought a cabinet, now I need a second!
Where did you pick it up from? I'm looking for a new display cabinet. Not sure exactly what style I'll be looking for yet so that's confusing the situation!

I want a full height cabinet (6' or so) with ideally a full glass front. I have a gap of approx 3'6" in width and it'll probably be between 12" and 18" deep I guess. Any suggestions??

I've looked on the Ikea website but I couldn't find anything... which cabinets are you Ikea folks using?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:47 (Ref:2042951)   #49
J-C
Racer

England
Northants, UK
J-C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use the Detolf from Ikea - Link - this works well as it is mainly glass and the pillars are fairly discreet.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:57 (Ref:2042959)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Terrific stuff J-C, methinks I'll get myself one of those when I make some space in my room in a few months!

Does it keep the dust off the models OK?