Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:13 (Ref:417848)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentilozzi and Rocketsports to field CART team

From Champweb.net

2002-10-30
Gentilozzi and Rocketsports to field CART team

Paul Gentilozzi's Rocketsports TransAm team will be moving into CART next year, rather than the rumored IRL/ALMS split teams that were talked about. This is a very big victory for CART, as the IRL thought they had them signed and delivered. Just one of the many teams that are going to be coming out of the bushes here shortly. Don Sklenka's THE SCOOP said that there are 20 cars signed, sealed and delivered for 2003. Stay tuned as more are released.

Now you got to like this news!
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:24 (Ref:417853)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this is true, then:

HAPPY DAYS!

Last edited by mac; 30 Oct 2002 at 21:25.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:35 (Ref:417863)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
My brain is overloading.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 21:42 (Ref:417874)   #4
TheRob
Rookie

Canada
Kamloops, BC
TheRob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love it.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 22:09 (Ref:417913)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not saying it isn't true, but please point to one reliable source that is carrying this story!?!?

Champweb.net may be an interesting read, but it reports rumours (most of which turn out to be false) and not the news.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Oct 2002, 22:16 (Ref:417926)   #6
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF its true i won't be surprised. The costs of the IRL are going to double and if you are a small team or don't have manufacturer backing its going to cost you a bomb. Jim McGee's comments were spot on. Rocketsports has a background in road racing anyway. It makes more sense.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 22:33 (Ref:417953)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeez!

I might have to rethink my intense dislike for Paul now... :confused:

Great news, though, however you look at it.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 30 Oct 2002 at 22:36.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 23:07 (Ref:418003)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I like "the big blue M&M" although he does seem to whinge almost as much as Lou Giglioti used to do.

I'll wait and see, but this would be excellent news if true.

Now can we get Boris into a Champ Car?
Old 30 Oct 2002, 23:21 (Ref:418027)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps the impending marriage between CART and the ALMS has persuaded Paul. Less travel expenses, to be sure.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 23:34 (Ref:418045)   #10
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay read this:

18:30:05 Oct. 30, 2002)
Trans-Am ace Paul Gentilozzi and his Rocketsports Racing to field CART team in '03

Paul Gentilozzi won't be driving, but his team is headed to CART next season.

Trans-Am ace Paul Gentilozzi and his Rocketsports Racing outfit are shifting gears again. Rather than separate oval and road-racing programs in the IRL and ALMS GTS (Gentilozzi's team is expected to run the full-season in CART next year. The official announcement will come at CART's race in Fontana, or at the SEMA show in Las Vegas shortly thereafter.

For the full article:
Autoweek story

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 30 Oct 2002 at 23:36.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 00:25 (Ref:418077)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, that explains the mystery about Tags too, eh? I should have guessed that, as the tobacco nannies have frozen sponsorship until they ban it next year (2004). But you know what, I'd REALLY like to see PT drive for Gentilozzi! Picture it in your mind. Wouldn't it be delicious?
Old 31 Oct 2002, 01:46 (Ref:418111)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason I dislike Gentilozzi is that outrageous incident with Tommy Archer on the pace lap at Portland last year. I'm still amazed he didn't get his liscense pulled for that.

Damn, I miss that Viper.

But, like I said, I might have to reconsider that now if Paul's willing to put up his stake with CART.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 06:02 (Ref:418168)   #13
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like how the face of Cart is changing. More owners that are fans of racing rather than fans of Japanese Yen. And Gentilozzi's team has just added to that diversity, man '03 is gonna be a good thing.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 06:21 (Ref:418178)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART is looking better and better because owners are now realising CART will be FAR cheaper than the Invisibles next year.

And with the supposed 'link-up' between CART and ALMS, we may see teams swapping back and forth, or fielding teams in both categories, which should be to the benefit of both.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 09:44 (Ref:418258)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a while earlier this season when I was worried CART might not pull through. Those days are behind, and I am looking forward to watching CART grow. We lost eight cars since this time last year, but the grid is going to grow again for next year. IRL is more expensive, and basically just inferior. Ultimatly, the better series will prevail.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 12:09 (Ref:418338)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Gentilozzi is outspoken too, so there won't be any shortage of good quotes for the weekend. I'm SURE there must be a way to get Boris into a champ car. He will drive anything that is sitting on the grid with the keys in it.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 12:20 (Ref:418352)   #17
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It probably will happen. Paul's driver in cart may be Alex Tagliani. The next question is what happens with Trans Am. The rumor is that Gentilozzi is buying out Panoz...and... is there any involvement anywhere between Gentilozzi and Paul Newman as they are friends. I talked with a current sponsor of one of the TA teams yesterday and they have withdrawn their sponsorship until they see what happens with the TA series. Their current team is selling all of their equipment and is evidently getting out of racing completely.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 12:22 (Ref:418360)   #18
Liz
Veteran

That would be Tom Gloy?
Old 31 Oct 2002, 12:28 (Ref:418370)   #19
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the button!
Old 1 Nov 2002, 02:28 (Ref:419038)   #20
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
How is this for a scenario:

1. Gentilozzi fields a team in CART.
2. Gentilozzi and Newman buy the Trans Am series from Panoz.
3. CART and Trans Am negotiate an alliance.

Guess it is just a pipe dream on my part.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 04:31 (Ref:419059)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But it could happen, muggle not, it could happen. CART and those series like Trans Am and ALMS would mostly only benefit from an alliance.

Think of the on-track action!!
Old 1 Nov 2002, 08:31 (Ref:419137)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Everybody's complaining about a lack of passing opportunities in CART this year. They should run the ChampCars and the TransAms on the track together, much like the different classes of the ALMS. That would stir things up a little!

Before anybody thinks me the fool, I'm just kiddin'.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 11:53 (Ref:419257)   #23
Liz
Veteran

I would not count out a Wacky Race of the Century if that ever happened -- Boris in the No. 33 Panoz and PT in the No. ?? Players Forsythe open wheel car, on the same track? YEE HAH!
Old 1 Nov 2002, 16:58 (Ref:419567)   #24
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's friday, I'm hungover and this sounds like an idea that was hatched over a few beers. I've heard worse. I say run the LMP900's with the champcars.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 17:02 (Ref:419571)   #25
Liz
Veteran

After a big case of the DTs I would have said. But I'd love to see a video game of it.