Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Nov 2022, 14:38 (Ref:4134730)   #1546
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like a real character, Gordon - not so many around now. I imagine there should be a good wake, for a good and generous man......
Old 24 Nov 2022, 16:39 (Ref:4134743)   #1547
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Sounds like a real character, Gordon - not so many around now. I imagine there should be a good wake, for a good and generous man......
I would think that there will be hundreds that turn up as he was such a generous happy go lucky bloke. He was a Lloyds name when the Exxon Valdez disaster happened and took a hit for a "very" lot of money. He sold some of his land complete with his own farmhouse and several other farmworkers houses and moved into one of the farm buildings that he was using to make beer. He then decided to go full out and made Larkins Brewery into a very profitable business and reinstated the original hop gardens. I think that a lot of us would have given up, but it didn't seem to faze Bob. The parties that had been going on since the 60s even got better
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Nov 2022, 19:40 (Ref:4134754)   #1548
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see Silverstone Classic is being re-branded Silverstone Festival.

https://www.silverstone.co.uk/events...stone-festival.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 25 Nov 2022, 06:32 (Ref:4134816)   #1549
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And I got a mailer about it

Edit: Sorry it's so lo res you can't read it! Tapatalk clearly doesn't like screenshots

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 25 Nov 2022, 09:42 (Ref:4134836)   #1550
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I'm not sure what the implications are but assume it's to get more non-historic punters through the gate.

A bit depressing IMO, I liked the feel of the classic, but with GT3 and 4 cars running, perhaps the re branding fits?
Old 25 Nov 2022, 10:56 (Ref:4134860)   #1551
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
The cynic in me thinks they're just trying to cash in on the Goodwood Festival attraction...
Old 25 Nov 2022, 11:06 (Ref:4134863)   #1552
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also possible, but I think they have that already, with concerts and all sorts of food and drink outlets.
Old 25 Nov 2022, 11:18 (Ref:4134865)   #1553
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Does this mark a shift in what is considered "Historic" by new generations of enthusiasts?

Maybe influenced somewhat by Masters?

Who has the most influence over the pool of potential entries for the event?

Now that Silverstone has moved to late August it strikes me that it may need to move further away from the Goodwood era races in order for both events to avoid reliance on more or less the same pool of cars for some grids.
Old 25 Nov 2022, 11:26 (Ref:4134866)   #1554
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Now that Silverstone has moved to late August it strikes me that it may need to move further away from the Goodwood era races in order for both events to avoid reliance on more or less the same pool of cars for some grids.

Why not move it back to the end of July and let the Oulton Park Gold Cup revert to it's August bank holiday date?
Old 25 Nov 2022, 11:54 (Ref:4134870)   #1555
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Why not move it back to the end of July and let the Oulton Park Gold Cup revert to it's August bank holiday date?
F1?
Old 25 Nov 2022, 13:53 (Ref:4134888)   #1556
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moto GP last year presumably the same this year.
Old 25 Nov 2022, 22:40 (Ref:4134920)   #1557
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a 'festival' long before it became 'the Classic' anyway - back when it first started, and it was sponsored by Coys, it was the 'Coys Historic Festival' I seem to remember. What, would have been early/mid-nineties I guess?
Old 25 Nov 2022, 23:29 (Ref:4134921)   #1558
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
F1?
9th July
Old 25 Nov 2022, 23:31 (Ref:4134922)   #1559
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
Moto GP last year presumably the same this year.
6th August.

So the Festival on 23rd July could fit nicely between that and F1.
Old 26 Nov 2022, 00:20 (Ref:4134923)   #1560
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year there was a five week gap between the British GP and the British Moto GP, one more than there is next year. It was decided that Silverstone couldn't organise their three biggest meetings of the year in a period of five weeks so there was no chance they could do it over a period of four weeks next year.