Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Sep 2007, 21:15 (Ref:2010524)   #1
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2008 GP Volunteering form

It's that time of the year again.

I have asked our webmaster to put the 2008 GP volunteering form on the BMMC Website- it should be up in a few days.

Below are the instructions that came with it!

2008 BRITISH GRAND PRIX - SILVERSTONE - 4/5/6 JULY
GUIDELINES FOR COMPLETION OF MARSHALLING FORM
1. Marshals to have completed a minimum of 12 marshalling days in the calendar year to qualify for nomination.
2. Forms must be completed and signed by the official.
3. Incomplete forms may not be considered.
4. Only complete one form if you have marshalled for more than one club. Please list all the details on one form and return it to the club for which you have done the most days.
5. All chief/deputy/assistant chief officials must complete a nomination form.
6. Officials who have become Clerks of the Course and Stewards may submit an application to marshal if their experience in the marshalling grade is still current.
7. Nominations from 'novice' officials will not be accepted
8. Only the official form should be used

BMMC Members should follow the following instructions - members of other clubs must send their forms to their club for forwarding to the MSA

Please ensure that if you wish to volunteer for the 2008 British Grand Prix that you send your completed Record Form to me by no later than 12th November 2007.

The completed application form is also sufficient for insurance purposes and so a separate Green Slip is not required.

Please do not send applications directly to the MSA or to your regional comps sec – send them to me at:-

Chris Hobson (GP2008)
Ballaugh
27 Dollicott
Haddenham
Bucks
HP17 8JL.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 14:04 (Ref:2011205)   #2
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the form is on the BMMC website now, got mine completed and about to go in the post.
lets hope the weather during the weeks leading upto the GP is much dryer than this year.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 15:55 (Ref:2011293)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the BMMC website
Quote:
If for exceptional reasons (marriage, ill health,
change of job etc.) you were unable to do 12 days then please submit an application with a short
note of explanation.
The "Marriage" bit affects me!
I've been married for 9 years and the Missus has not let me play out as much as I would have liked!
Do I still need to put in a short letter of explaination?
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:23 (Ref:2011452)   #4
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I might wait to see what happens to Mclaren first, don't want to marshal for a farce!!!!!
Old 13 Sep 2007, 17:53 (Ref:2011526)   #5
chrismoore
Rookie

chrismoore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, whats the age on marshaling the F1 could anyone help me on all info regarding the info about age and marshaling the F1!
Cheers
Chris
Old 13 Sep 2007, 18:22 (Ref:2011595)   #6
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
my understanding is that you have to be 16 to marshal trackside, and you cannot marshal the GP at novice/trainee level or in your first year, as you need to have marshaled minimum 12 events in the year before the application. so that would put minimum age to marshal a GP at 17.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 18:32 (Ref:2011622)   #7
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanowat1
my understanding is that you have to be 16 to marshal trackside, and you cannot marshal the GP at novice/trainee level or in your first year, as you need to have marshaled minimum 12 events in the year before the application. so that would put minimum age to marshal a GP at 17.
thats good for me aswell for me so that means i should be able to volunteer for it this coming year
Old 13 Sep 2007, 20:41 (Ref:2011869)   #8
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
2008 BRITISH GRAND PRIX - SILVERSTONE - 4/5/6 JULY
GUIDELINES FOR COMPLETION OF MARSHALLING FORM
1. Marshals to have completed a minimum of 12 marshalling days in the calendar year to qualify for nomination.
It's not quite clear. Do you have to have marshalled 12 events in the year before the GP (i.e. year ending Dec 2007) or 12 events in the year starting Jan 2008 upto the date of the GP. I assume the former.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 21:13 (Ref:2011932)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
It's not quite clear. Do you have to have marshalled 12 events in the year before the GP (i.e. year ending Dec 2007) or 12 events in the year starting Jan 2008 upto the date of the GP. I assume the former.
Yes, in 2007, the selection meetings happen in January/February so it's always based on the last years details.
Old 13 Sep 2007, 22:16 (Ref:2012015)   #10
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
I might wait to see what happens to Mclaren first, don't want to marshal for a farce!!!!!
I take it you've not done it before then?
Old 13 Sep 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2012039)   #11
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lol...thats funny. Suppose I'd better decide if I want to make a return...
Old 14 Sep 2007, 00:08 (Ref:2012105)   #12
Tangoman
Rookie

England
Gloucester
Tangoman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will put myself forward, I have been told countless times that you have to do it at least once. Many Marshals I have spoken to have said that they have done it once and will never do it again. I want to do it next year and I hope I am accepted, wether I do it again depends on the experience.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 07:51 (Ref:2012317)   #13
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoman
I will put myself forward, I have been told countless times that you have to do it at least once. Many Marshals I have spoken to have said that they have done it once and will never do it again. I want to do it next year and I hope I am accepted, wether I do it again depends on the experience.
My sentiments exactly Tangoman.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 08:59 (Ref:2012388)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly I completely agree. I've done two and then taken a break. Will have to do some deciding for 2008!
Old 14 Sep 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2012539)   #15
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Dere mr eckleston
i wud like to volunteer for the 2008 grand prix. i hav only been to two races this yer. last yer i was wedded to my lovely wife charleen but shes been mking me do housework and look after the twins while she works in our local bootiqe.
i been watching the F1 on tv but wivout a licence i have had to watch videos only, but I hope mr sterling moss will do well this yer.
charleen has said i can go and she will be coming later cos she wants to walk round the pits and get mr mosss sig which i hope will be ok.
i have had serious earache since our wedding and our docter has told me to get more fresh air
i am not sure what you mean by sigs. I turn up and sig in and then find a nice place to sit, usually in the granstand if its not to full or perhaps i will have a picnic near the finish line. I do enjoy this marshalling thing and wud very much like to go to f1.
yours
eric

in milton kynes"
Old 14 Sep 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2012640)   #16
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Quote:
I have heard this many many times and for years had been put off by stories, last year I decided that it was time to experience it for myself.

yes granted there is a lot of pompus parading for which you have be trackside for, alot of sitting around doing nothing, no time really where you can stand down and have a look around.

But the atmosphere is something else, the sound, the sight of full spectator areas, the mud in the campsite the gazebo aerial acrobatic team
the bloody fireworks at midnight

all makes for a good weekend IMHO
Old 14 Sep 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2013126)   #17
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There may be a lot of time that seems wasted during the weekend, but it is definately worth it for the atmosphere
Old 14 Sep 2007, 21:19 (Ref:2013142)   #18
Tangoman
Rookie

England
Gloucester
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT
There may be a lot of time that seems wasted during the weekend, but it is definately worth it for the atmosphere
I have heard that from quite a few people too. I am hoping I can do it next year, it has to be experienced at least once. Put it this way, I would rather be a Marshal than a spectator I think for a meeting like this. Us Marshals are pretty lucky in that respect.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 21:27 (Ref:2013158)   #19
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would rather be a Marshal than a spectator I think for a meeting like this. Us Marshals are pretty lucky in that respect.
Yes, about £100 luckier!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 14 Sep 2007, 22:35 (Ref:2013204)   #20
Tangoman
Rookie

England
Gloucester
Only £100?
Old 15 Sep 2007, 06:32 (Ref:2013366)   #21
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Only £100?
Yep, general admission is £100 for the three days...
Old 15 Sep 2007, 07:47 (Ref:2013396)   #22
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about the cost of the camping on whittlebury for the public aswell as general admission
Old 15 Sep 2007, 11:18 (Ref:2013525)   #23
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's alright for those of you who can get the time off. As a teacher there is no way that I can do anything other than saturdays and sundays (unless during the summer holidays).
Guess it's something that will have to be put on the back burner for the next dozen os so years
Old 16 Sep 2007, 09:42 (Ref:2014342)   #24
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by new marshal mat
what about the cost of the camping on whittlebury for the public aswell as general admission
Ok the campsite next to the masrshal one is £15 a night... so total saving ~ £150
Old 16 Sep 2007, 10:01 (Ref:2014360)   #25
cowchap
Racer

England
sussex
cowchap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont forget the £25 worth of food vouchers and the free can of fosters