Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2000, 23:34 (Ref:18358)   #1
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the last couple of years i beleive there has been no real driver rivalry. Unlike the days where Senna wanted to kill Prost, and likewise Shui with Damon.This does not exist anymore. I think drivers like DC, Mika or RB are extremely competitive but theyre not hotheads. I know Shui continuosly talks about safety, but we all know he would be the last one to back down on the race track. For this reason Im calling for Jaques to join McLaren. He could bring back some of that intense personal driver rivalry back, since he, like shui, wouldnt back down an inch. I know that this may sound dangerous, but I want championships to get to a personal level. Not just between constructors. Once this happens, we can be certain of a few big incidents a year ( i.e leaders smashing out each other). At the risk of sounding mad, I think it would do the sport no harm. So i say, bring on the rivalry, bring on the intensity and bring on the danger!!
Old 20 Jun 2000, 23:41 (Ref:18362)   #2
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hey absolutely, I can't wait for death and destruction to return to the tracks - just what we've been missing for the past twenty years or so - come on Bernie, you know we want it...
Old 21 Jun 2000, 00:15 (Ref:18375)   #3
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

*sigh*
Old 21 Jun 2000, 00:35 (Ref:18377)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to see a good feud between top drivers but....

In the light of the fans we have in the modern era, would the sport survive it? After all, you only have to start a Schumi is pants/Schumi is God thread here to watch the flame wars ignite.

And could we ever hope for it to be conducted in a civilised manner on the track ever again? After all, in years past, Tazio Nuvolari and Achille Varzi palpably loathed each other, even when they were team mates. But there is no record of them ever taking each other off, or indeed indulging in any form of sharp practice against one another.

Finally, is it just possible that any animosity gets firmly sat on by Bernie and the corporate muscle, just like any personality or character the drivers might make the mistake of showing? Perhaps it's like overtaking. It's not the actual overtaking that is interesting - it is the potential chance of a passing manouvre. Perhaps Max also believes that a feud isn't interesting, but the prospect of a possible squabble that keeps us all watching.

Varzi was an @rse, by the way.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 01:14 (Ref:18386)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the perspective of the Canadian GP

The crowd was split in its afections between JV and TGF-but I will say that there was a surprising amount of RED in those stands.
What I found particularly ugly was the fact that Hakkinen and even more so, DC were booed on the parade lap with what seemed to be real animosity.
Perhaps Timd is right, F1 races could even devolve into violence between partisan crowds-but a real rivalry, hmmm-damned exciting stuff.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 01:58 (Ref:18400)   #6
IAM
Rookie

IAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have not heard..........JV has already signed for............Renault/Beneton I believe it is.

Ian
Old 21 Jun 2000, 02:16 (Ref:18403)   #7
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh sure, did Jacques tell you that or did you read it?

Next year I hope we see Jacques and Schuey fighting for the championship, it's about time the two best drivers in the World fight it out again!

Jacques and Jean to McLaren!
Old 21 Jun 2000, 03:14 (Ref:18412)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee Eero, in my grandstand it almost seemed that the same people who were cheering for Jacques were also cheering for those red things. I was also in an F1 shop on St. Catherine Street, and the guy there said that there 2 top selling hats were Ferrari/Schumi hats.

I think an F1 crowd could descend into violence, but it would come from non-smokers being crammed together with smokers in the same grandstand. Are there any Quebecers who don't smoke?
Old 21 Jun 2000, 04:14 (Ref:18422)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Jay, I had the same sense-if JV ever drove for Ferrari-WATCHOUT!!!!!!
Old 21 Jun 2000, 05:48 (Ref:18425)   #10
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Schumi the way to go home!"

Put Jacque in a Mac !
Old 21 Jun 2000, 08:52 (Ref:18437)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But all McLaren drivers are universally hated. They're evil. Put Jacques in a Ferrari, actually.

But that won't happen: the deal's already been done. Schumacher bros. @ Ferrari 2002.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 09:39 (Ref:18447)   #12
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could never hate Alesi in a McLaren...

PLEASE GOD MAKE IT BE SO!!!!!!!
Old 21 Jun 2000, 09:48 (Ref:18452)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
But all McLaren drivers are universally hated. They're evil.
With just a moment's thought, I came up with: Gerhard Berger, James Hunt, Denny Hulme, Jochen Mass, Gilles Villeneuve, Keke Rosberg, Stefan Johansson.

All of them right up in my list of personal favourites, and all thoroughly nice chaps.

But I suspect, Tristan, you may be right about the Scuderia Schumacher show in the near future. Pity. Someone ought to tell them they're only hogging seats that Fizzi and Trulli ought to get.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 10:16 (Ref:18462)   #14
fatbloke
Veteran

Nah, Michael couldn't handle the pressure of being in the same team as someone who doesn't roll over and give in to his every demand. Ralf would be on a mission to beat his brother and prove he is as good as him - it'd be a disaster, probably bringing us back to the origianl 'bloodsports' topic opener...
Old 21 Jun 2000, 10:29 (Ref:18464)   #15
fatbloke
Veteran

Quote:
Varzi was an @rse, by the way.
Wasn't Varzi the guy who had an affair with Pietsch's wife, and then became addicted to morphine ? If so, he was supposed to have been a hell of a driver - some say the equal of Nuvolari - before he destroyed himself and his career.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 12:39 (Ref:18471)   #16
Murph
Racer

Murph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EERO & Jay
Ferrari has always been extremely popular with Canadian GP fans and that pre-dates Gilles first race with the Scuderia at Mosport Park in 1977. This "old-timer" can "vaguely remember" huge cheers from the crowds for Icxk & Clay in the early '70's. Arnoux, Tambay, Alboreto, Johansson, Gerhard, "Our Nige", Alain, Alesi, et. all were Montreal fan favorites in the more recent past. Even Pironi was cheered at Montreal in 1982! (not by me)

TimD
I would also add Peter Revson to the list. Met him at Mid-Ohio in '72 (CanAm). He was very friendly and at ease with the fans..... he especially charmed Mrs. Murphy!

take care all,

Murph
Old 21 Jun 2000, 15:01 (Ref:18511)   #17
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Of course! How could I forget Revson? There was a fans' racer if ever there was one.

And of course dear old Martin Brundle was a McLaren driver too - and he might have won a GP or two for them if the car had held together.
Old 21 Jun 2000, 15:40 (Ref:18521)   #18
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
out of topic...

...er...Hi Murph!!!!
Old 21 Jun 2000, 18:51 (Ref:18554)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Hey, Murph!

I was about to mention Revson when I read your quote-glad you got it in. Revson was my favorite when I was a teenager-I absolutely adored him.

I remember Ferrari being pretty popular at the Glen during the same era-I think a lot of factors are involved, the foremost that the Company has a long history of producing really wonderful road cars-its a liknk between F1 and production that dates back 50 years and which Jaguar can only begin to suggest.(Not to take away from Jag's sportscar heritage, but the link to Grand Prix Racing is tenuous)

A second factor has to be tha passion of that red color, and the simplicity and clarity and integrity of their presentation (diluted as it has been over the recent years)

I think Jag made a mistake when picking the wrong Green and including too much white. The Italian Equation hgas become:

Red=Ferrari