Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Dec 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3173982)   #2626
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
...teams which don't have Audi's Ultra technology.
That's just a branding exercise. There's nothing special about 'Ultra technology' in motorsport terms. Perhaps R18 and TS030 have achieved more at miking their cars lighter, but it's not about ground-braking know-how and inventions, but rather development.
Old 1 Dec 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3173985)   #2627
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
That's just a branding exercise. There's nothing special about 'Ultra technology' in motorsport terms. Perhaps R18 and TS030 have achieved more at miking their cars lighter, but it's not about ground-braking know-how and inventions, but rather development.
The Monocoque and Gearbox housing is made using Carbon technology not financeable available to others.
Some consider the One piece Monocoque and Carbon Gearbox Housing for ground-braking for Endurance cars.
Old 1 Dec 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3173991)   #2628
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have a question about the fuel flow meter. I'm not well-versed in the technical side at all, but I was wondering:

1. Does the fuel flow meter sort of negate the freedom in engine size? As in, wouldn't it be an advantage to run a smaller engine?

2. What the hell do they mean when they say the fuel flow meter will take "race strategy" out?! Why would that ever be anyone's goal?!

Thanks.
Old 2 Dec 2012, 00:02 (Ref:3174014)   #2629
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The Monocoque and Gearbox housing is made using Carbon technology not financeable available to others.
Some consider the One piece Monocoque and Carbon Gearbox Housing for ground-braking for Endurance cars.
With all due respect, I see that more as a question of development budget, rather than know how. And it would have been called ultra regardless of those things. Just like R8 LMS. It's similar to Mazda's 'Skyactiv technology' which is just an branding term for various little efforts to improve efficiency.
Old 2 Dec 2012, 02:47 (Ref:3174031)   #2630
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My point here is exactly that, that Audi can spend the money to build things lighter than other constructors. Ausid can afford some trial and error, and can devote many more engineers (and more supercomputer time) to a project than, say, Onroak, or more than Honda might choose to, or more than Wirth can convince Honda to fund.

It the design and development edge which sets factory teams apart---the smaller, less-wealthy teams learn during the season what the rich teams learned via simulation and testing before finalizing their designs.

So maybe some of the other teams considering P1 chassis are finding it hard to build to the lower limit while still including an ERS option.

I don't know, but I don't think I am the only one in this thread trying to make reasonable guesses.
Old 2 Dec 2012, 05:52 (Ref:3174074)   #2631
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Some ERS systems weigh around 50kg. The cars without ballast are probably lighter than 800kg. If there's a problem it's probably just the weight balance with an ERS system installed. The Peugeot 905 weighed 750kg, that was in 1993! There's no doubt in my mind these cars that will be slimmer could meet 830kg. This rule has to have a reason, but I wonder what the specifics are.
Old 2 Dec 2012, 13:19 (Ref:3174187)   #2632
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
2. What the hell do they mean when they say the fuel flow meter will take "race strategy" out?! Why would that ever be anyone's goal?!
Don't take it out of the context: "...in order to avoid any race strategy or fuel economy run and this kind of thing we could see in the past".
Old 2 Dec 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3174248)   #2633
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Don't take it out of the context: "...in order to avoid any race strategy or fuel economy run and this kind of thing we could see in the past".
The context does nothing to change the meaning to me, which is why I was asking what it meant. It sounds like they want to get rid of fuel strategy. I think that's a horrible idea, personally. I hope I'm just being dense and missing the meaning. Why take out a factor that can help another car overcome certain weaknesses and make for a compelling race?
Old 2 Dec 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3174249)   #2634
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
The context does nothing to change the meaning to me, which is why I was asking what it meant. It sounds like they want to get rid of fuel strategy. I think that's a horrible idea, personally. I hope I'm just being dense and missing the meaning. Why take out a factor that can help another car overcome certain weaknesses and make for a compelling race?
The fuel flow has a maximum value at certain rpm which cannot be exceeded. There's nothing stopping engineers making the engine efficient enough that it doesn't need to use the full allocation of fuel every second though. It basically sets a sort of minimum stint length, but the maximum is left to the engineers. It still encourages efficiency. Basically, the engine theoretically gets a set amount of fuel per time interval and revs, but there's nothing saying that it can't use LESS than that allocation for the same performance.
Old 2 Dec 2012, 20:21 (Ref:3174287)   #2635
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Basically they don't want to have engines that can make 1000 hp in qualifying 'mode' that would have to be completely strangled towards the end of the race to go the distance without running out of allocated fuel.

As a limitation it's not much different from having current restrictors, strategy-wise.
Old 2 Dec 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3174305)   #2636
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the chance of a P1 team turning up on the grid in 2014 with an F1 engine in the back of their car? It is likely that the works teams will not use them, so will privateers be likely to use the Pure engines for example?
Old 2 Dec 2012, 23:32 (Ref:3174365)   #2637
Ziemas
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Ziemas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
What is the chance of a P1 team turning up on the grid in 2014 with an F1 engine in the back of their car? It is likely that the works teams will not use them, so will privateers be likely to use the Pure engines for example?
The Pure effort to build an F1 engine is already over. Canceled due to lack of finance.
Old 3 Dec 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3174663)   #2638
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
The Pure effort to build an F1 engine is already over. Canceled due to lack of finance.
Oh right, I heard that it was put on hold, but I guess it is not very surprising that they could not find the funds needed. Thanks for the info . It seems like it will be very unlikely then.
Old 3 Dec 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3174748)   #2639
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Andrew Cotton reveals an interesting fact about the 2014 minimum weight in the January 2013 issue of RCE:
Quote:
It is interesting to note that, while discussing the 2014 regulations, both Audi and Aston Martin pushed for a 700 kg weight limit for non-hybrid LMP!, although according to Peugeot - which was also involved in the negotations at the time - it was Audi that finally voted against the limit. The limits are set at 850 kg for hybrids and 830 kg for non-hybrids run by privateers.
Clearly the article was written before draft 5 of the regulations increase the weight limit even further.
Old 3 Dec 2012, 22:53 (Ref:3174781)   #2640
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As mentioned PURE is gone. I see no reason Ferrari, Mercedes or Renault would want to be distracted by trying to support both F1 and sports prototypes at the same time.

I believe that Cosworth only supplied two F1 teams (HRT and Marussia) this year. HRT is apparently a zombie and not expected to participate next year. That leaves only one team potentially using Cosworth in 2013, so there is speculation that Cosworth will not build F1 engines for 2013/14 and that one of the other suppliers (Renault?) would supply engines to Marussia.

However, apparently Cosworth has put some work put into a 2014 spec engine. I wonder if Cosworth could switch to sports prototype engines for 2014? Could they make money by providing a good privateer engine or would they have the same funding issue as Judd?

Richard
Old 4 Dec 2012, 05:33 (Ref:3174864)   #2641
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

However, apparently Cosworth has put some work put into a 2014 spec engine. I wonder if Cosworth could switch to sports prototype engines for 2014? Could they make money by providing a good privateer engine or would they have the same funding issue as Judd?

Richard
I believe that cosworth have a much broader base of sources of income than judd it just depends how much of that income they are prepared to sink into a most likely barely profitable engine.
Old 4 Dec 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3174922)   #2642
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
700kg for non hybrids would've been great. Audi voted against it of all the people you would expect.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3180189)   #2643
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Audi confirms that they are working on a new car for 2014.
Quote:
In a parallel project, Audi Sport is already intensively working on the successor car for the new LMP1 regulations that will come into effect as of 2014.
source: https://www.audi-motorsport.info/v2/...single/id/6614
Old 23 Dec 2012, 02:28 (Ref:3181259)   #2644
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11212195...r-than-le-mans
Quote:
With the 2014 [F1] rules, the FIA is reportedly aiming to slow down the F1 cars by no more than five seconds per lap.

Any more than that, the German report claimed, runs the risk that formula one could be genuinely outpaced by Le Mans prototype cars, or the US-based Indycars.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 02:30 (Ref:3181261)   #2645
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Apparently that has been scrapped...
Old 23 Dec 2012, 03:26 (Ref:3181265)   #2646
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
It could be worse if they were outpaced by Stock cars, of all machines, too!

Still, it the 2014 rules for Formula One are scrapped, that means they'll remain as the fastest cars in the world.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 05:02 (Ref:3181276)   #2647
TF110
Veteran

United States
Theyre around 8 seconds per lap faster than lmp1 now. If lmp1 gets faster in 2014 and the f1 cars were slowed down by that much, they could well have been outpaced or at least a close match.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3181284)   #2648
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Slowest F1 cars of 2012 can be outpaced by 2007-2010-spec LMP1 cars on the right tracks and under the right conditions anyway.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3181293)   #2649
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Theyre around 8 seconds per lap faster than lmp1 now. If lmp1 gets faster in 2014 and the f1 cars were slowed down by that much, they could well have been outpaced or at least a close match.
It might be an off-topic but I'm afraid that there would be a time where they would propose a "one chassis tub" for all forms of motorsport: from Formula One to Le Mans, and even IndyCar.
Old 23 Dec 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3181297)   #2650
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
It might be an off-topic but I'm afraid that there would be a time where they would propose a "one chassis tub" for all forms of motorsport: from Formula One to Le Mans, and even IndyCar.
Highly unlikely, since LMP cars still have to be theoretical two-seaters and 2014 LMP1 regulations are just for closed cars.