Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Silverstone Classic
Calendar: Historic Racing
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett

28 Jul 2017 to 30 Jul 2017 08:00 to 18:00
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings

The Biggest Classic Festival in the UK. Among many grids it will include a round of the Jaguar Challenge AND a race for HRDC Academy cars.

HMRN have also confirmed the 'RAC TT' race for Pre 63GT cars and U2TC will each have 50 minute races.

Old 1 Aug 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3756618)   #166
Gerard C
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those are good news.
Thanks for sharing nice pics, percy and retrognome.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 08:33 (Ref:3756621)   #167
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBinfield View Post
Allow me to kill two birds with one stone as it were. Dad is fine Iain - lost a wheel due to mechanical failure somewhere within the rear upright/halfshaft when he was halfway through Stowe and the car tucked in around the failed corner and rolled onto its roof. Thank you to everyone for their concern The car can be repaired, and with the exception of a minute cut on his finger dad was uninjured.

AFAIK Stuart Baird was OK after his roll in HFF - the roll hoop did its job well but took quite a beating in the process.
Thanks for that, Sam. Didn't realise it was your Dad's E Type. From the position of the car- inside the corner- thought it had to be a failure. Mr Pearson should at least buy your Dad a drink, as without the resultant red flag he likely wouldn't have won the race.....

BTW, well done in your Titan in the FF races. Far from shabby results in that field!
Old 1 Aug 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3756628)   #168
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crikkeee had no idea it was Bob . Please send my very best . As I said my heart sank when passing the incedent . Thanks for letting us know .
Old 1 Aug 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3756645)   #169
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Allow me to kill two birds with one stone as it were. Dad is fine Iain - lost a wheel due to mechanical failure somewhere within the rear upright/halfshaft when he was halfway through Stowe and the car tucked in around the failed corner and rolled onto its roof. Thank you to everyone for their concern The car can be repaired, and with the exception of a minute cut on his finger dad was uninjured.

AFAIK Stuart Baird was OK after his roll in HFF - the roll hoop did its job well but took quite a beating in the process.
Sorry to hear it was Stuart who rolled his Merlyn but glad to learn he is OK. A real veteran of FF1600 who retains his enthusiasm

PS Regarding my earlier comment regarding Lightweight E Types, Simon Hadfield has reminded me that Joaguin Folch's semi-lightweight is the genuine ex-Peter Berry car which was raced by Bruce McLaren in period

Last edited by Alan Cox; 1 Aug 2017 at 10:42.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 11:27 (Ref:3756669)   #170
nigel grant
Rookie

nigel grant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stuart Baird Silverstone Classic

I have Stuart Baird's car in our workshop after his heavy roll at the Classic last weekend. As Sam said the roll bar took a real beating but did its job and as a result Stuart emerged with nothing but a stiff neck and a bit of a shaking.
It was suggested that Stuart had been very lucky but in my opinion luck had nothing to do with it. Stuart had the foresight to see that his head was level with the top of the roll bar and asked Mike Waite (MW Fabrications) to extend it, Mike did just that and also braced not only the extension but also the original hoop and gusseted them both.
Stuart's foresight and Mike's quality fabrication saved Stuart's life, its as simple as that. We watched the incident live on the big screen and the severity of the roll shocked all who were there. The consequences of not having enough clearance between the drivers head and the roll hoop don't bear thinking about. This issue of roll bars and extensions is being checked and addressed immediately with the Chief Formula Ford Scrutineer from the MSA and recommendations will be made to all competitors in Historic FF1600, I would recommend that other championships do the same.
We can straighten the cars but not the people all of whom are our friends, prevention is always better than the cure.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3756686)   #171
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel grant View Post
I have Stuart Baird's car in our workshop after his heavy roll at the Classic last weekend. As Sam said the roll bar took a real beating but did its job and as a result Stuart emerged with nothing but a stiff neck and a bit of a shaking.
It was suggested that Stuart had been very lucky but in my opinion luck had nothing to do with it. Stuart had the foresight to see that his head was level with the top of the roll bar and asked Mike Waite (MW Fabrications) to extend it, Mike did just that and also braced not only the extension but also the original hoop and gusseted them both.
Stuart's foresight and Mike's quality fabrication saved Stuart's life, its as simple as that. We watched the incident live on the big screen and the severity of the roll shocked all who were there. The consequences of not having enough clearance between the drivers head and the roll hoop don't bear thinking about. This issue of roll bars and extensions is being checked and addressed immediately with the Chief Formula Ford Scrutineer from the MSA and recommendations will be made to all competitors in Historic FF1600, I would recommend that other championships do the same.
We can straighten the cars but not the people all of whom are our friends, prevention is always better than the cure.
Good post thank you.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 15:23 (Ref:3756731)   #172
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well my intended Superbee transportation didn't transpire as we (the owner and I) both expected bad weather. As it turns out we were wrong on that point but just as well we left it at home as foolishly we followed the official signs off the A43 which took us into Silverstone village and into a 1hr queue to get to the entrance

Had a decent time looking round the paddocks, managed to have a quick chat with Delta but couldn't find Mike. Nice to see Rudi Eggenberger getting stuck into working on the Sierra from New Zealand. Loved the JPS BMW but didn't realise till later that Jim Richards was driving it. Damn.

Didn't see any racing and left quite early as my 'driver' needed an early night but its relighted my racing candle......busy winter ahead
CSCC Swinging Sixties / Bernie's HVRA #28 Red/Black Mustang
Old 1 Aug 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3756763)   #173
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hinckley, UK
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thanks for that, Sam. Didn't realise it was your Dad's E Type. From the position of the car- inside the corner- thought it had to be a failure. Mr Pearson should at least buy your Dad a drink, as without the resultant red flag he likely wouldn't have won the race.....

BTW, well done in your Titan in the FF races. Far from shabby results in that field!
He can buy us a bonnet if he likes

Thank you though I can't claim any credit for the Titan as I was renting Mk8 Motorsport's Elden Mk10 for the meeting - Titan still in pieces since Cadwell last year sadly.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3756770)   #174
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Thank you though I can't claim any credit for the Titan as I was renting Mk8 Motorsport's Elden Mk10 for the meeting - Titan still in pieces since Cadwell last year sadly.
Well, whatever you were driving- well done!
Old 1 Aug 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3756784)   #175
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear the Formula Ford driver was ok.
Old 1 Aug 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3756803)   #176
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post

Not enough young people
Define "young"? I'm guessing that's people in their 30s?

The cost issue can't be denied but I would argue that most people in to historic racing want to race the cars that they watched when they were kids. Hmmm, I spot one problem - apart from BTCC and F1 there isn't really much of an audience for many series so where does the interest stem from (and they are both joke series in my opinion).

The next issue is that the 30 somethings probably lusted after cars that were current when they were 15; Clios, Focus, Porsche Boxsters etc. Many wouldn't know what a Capri was if it ran over them, and yet those cars are not catered for in historic racing yet, indeed they are still current in club racing. The one series from that era that is relevant and " current historic" is the Super Tourer series and that seems popular.

As Peter says, we need to get people involved in club racing and I think historic racing will survive as the next step, but will always be a slightly older audience.

We need to persuade people that club racing can be done more cheaply than imagined. Not cheap but more cheaply. There are start up cost of suits and ards but I still have my suit that i bought 16 years ago so the costs can be amortised. The growth in 2 driver 40/45 minute races also makes racing more accessible as costs can be shared, and we need to help people realise that you don't need to spend really big money to go racing, it can be done in a 2 Grand Fiat Uno, or a 4 Grand MX5 mk1 and be enjoyed just as much. There are plenty of series where those cars will do ok in their class (and by some standards they are historic anyway, certainly "classics"!)
Old 2 Aug 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3756855)   #177
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
I was trying to avoid the "barriers to entry" conversation. Also the "I can still fit in my race gear after 16 years" conversation - how's a boy to make an honest shekel :ROFL:

I did extensive research on driver ages and demographics. Drivers race up to their early 20s and then they go away through their 30s until mid 40s. That makes sense if we think about our own lives - remember I'm talking about "averages" not dyed-in-the-wool racers. We (the latter) will do anything to race, but it's the mainstream that the sport needs to attract to grow.

I had a cluster of customers in the Worcestershire area, and used ACORN demographics to scale that up to find the likely residential neighbourhoods to target - yup it all matched with existing customers. So in the realm of your "average" hobby driver, I can safely say that "young" is 40, those in their 20s will not be racing cars that we define as "classic".

So don't worry about the 30 year olds - they're not racing anything let alone historics.

I cannot stress enough that I'm talking averages, I'm sure there are many, many exceptions. But for marketing purposes these are the people I target as they make up the bulk of customers.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Aug 2017, 08:19 (Ref:3756862)   #178
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do have more than one suit, Max!
Old 2 Aug 2017, 18:34 (Ref:3756994)   #179
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Back to the Classic.... First showing of highlights should be on ITV4 Thursday 10th Aug, 2000hrs.
Old 3 Aug 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3757227)   #180
Gerard C
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike on Utub' Silverstone Pitlane Action I think its your car at min 2'. I checked a little more than 62 " for your stop. Who throws his gloves on the ground?