Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 Mar 2018, 22:55 (Ref:3808676)   #11
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, a few of my thoughts from today.
1. It was cold. It was colder than I have every been at any race event including any winter series.
2. Pretty awful organisation earlier in the day. None of the stewards seemed to know much about where we could go or how to get there. That needs to be addressed.
3. Some decent viewing to be had. There's a natural slope (the first corner being at the highest point) so even out the grandstand you could see a lot of the track and be close to the action. And you could get close to the track if you prefer proximity and speed to overall view (I prefer both, which is why I prefer Lydden).
4. The track had some good parts, being the first two tarmac corners, the joker merger and the final chicane on the main part of the track was quite cool too. But the track is too damn small! You come off a big jump and then turn immediately right despite there being lots of space straight on. Why not join up to the tarmac, take the tarmac chicane then back onto the dirt. Much faster and exciting for the fans and drivers. The second half of the circuit was like a muddy car park. It was Mickey mouse.
5, 6 and 7. This deserves its own 3 numbers. Putting a kink in a dirt section of the track means that there will only ever be one line. Either make it a corner or keep it as a straight. If you can't understand this, then please retire as a race circuit designer. A few times, a car took the right after the jump quicker than the car in front, then they approach the kink and becomes single File. If it were a straight, the car may have been able to stuff it up the inside.
8. The hairpin cut up too much and will do so much more in the world event. It needs to be sorted.
9. Some great individual performances. Jack Thorne and Paul Coney both very good. The World guys were fantastic and I enjoyed the Minis too. Good to see them all supercharged now.

Obviously I want the world event to be a failure. Based on today, I don't hold out much hope for it. They need to redesign the circuit if they want it to be exciting. It felt like Loeb barely got out of their gear. That's just not a world class event for me.