Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Dec 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2800823)   #1
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OLD RACE SHEETS.(entry lists & results etc!)

Hi everyone, unsure if this is the place for these, but if not, perhaps a MOD will place them for me.
As I said, big attic clearout taking place, and lots of VERY old and ODD stuff coming to light after all these years. Here's a couple of old Race Time Sheets, that may be of interest to any old codgers or people that like to see this sort of memorabilia. I was going to throw it all away, but thought it may as well go file. Cheers!
Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
7.jpg   SUNBAC SILVERSTONE.jpg  
Old 10 Dec 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2802498)   #2
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep them coming, Gerry.

I've got a lot from 1966 to 1977 which I will post after they are scanned.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2802503)   #3
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A brilliant idea Gerry. Keep em coming.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2802514)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fabulous idea Gerry,be even better if there was one for the 1953 Goodwood 9Hr.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2804826)   #5
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Fabulous idea Gerry,be even better if there was one for the 1953 Goodwood 9Hr.
1953...Mmmm, I was only 13!
Old 15 Dec 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2804838)   #6
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

The Front Row, Silverstone 1973.

Just found this photograph. The original is about two feet X two feet, and was used as some kind of Exhibition picture, because the caption read:
"IT WAS THERE WHEN WE LEFT THE PADDOCK"? This was under MIKE EVANS, as he was looking underneath his Patrick Motors Group Mini 850. The front row consisted of Pole Postion: PETER BALDWIN Mini. Then next to Peter was NICK BIRCH, IMP, who sadly passed away last year. Then yours truly ANGLIA, and Mike in his mini.
This was in 1973 at Silverstone. The race ended with Peter taking the win, I was second (after the spin-pictured elsewhere) and Nick retired. Mike set a new lap record for 850 class. This picture has not been seen on any site at all, as it has languished in my loft since those fantastic days of hybrid racing saloons. Hope you enjoy the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
THE FRONT ROW SILVERSTONE BALDWIN. BIRCH. TAYLOR. EVANS 001.jpg  
Old 15 Dec 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2804843)   #7
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

A few more Lap Sheets from the 1970's

Thanks for the interest, here are a couple more from the seventies. Hope you can remember some of these names?
Attached Thumbnails
FORWARD TRUST SILVERSTONE.jpg   MARCH 18TH 1973.jpg  
Old 23 Dec 2010, 19:08 (Ref:2807864)   #8
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

and a couple more from the vaults.

Here are a couple more from the Vaults of Special Saloon Car Racing. Hope you enjoy these.
Gerry.
Attached Thumbnails
24TH MARCH 73.jpg   1972 RACE SHEET.jpg  
Old 23 Dec 2010, 23:45 (Ref:2807983)   #9
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please guys, don''t ever throw this kind of stuff out. It is ABSOLUTELY invaluable to us historians in preparing results databases
Organising clubs often don't have these things - I know, I regularly use the BARC's archive - and you may just be the last person who was at that meeting and kept the official documents

If the missus is putting pressure on you to clear them out, call me and I will come collect and add them to the growing pile in my office

Cheers
Chris
Old 26 Dec 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2808545)   #10
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

My Racing Career.

Chris, I have so much stuff from the early sixties through until I retired from racing in 1975/6.
I wouldn't part with any of it, let alone throw it away. I shall just keep putting bits on here, so that they're here for others to look at.
This is the cover, and the actual competitors from my first mini race at Brands Hatch. September 13th 1964. Look at some of those names. Whatever happened to them? R. Calcut! P. Bevan. ha,ha. Miss R. Smith(?) Note I was entered as G C Taylor. way before the Swish years, they were some seven years away. I'm going to put the page for the BIG Special Saloons on here too, as you may like to see who was racing that Sunday all those years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
MY FIRST RACE DOWN SOUTH.MINI 850CC.jpg   THE COMPETITORS IN MY FIRST RACE 1964 BRANDS HATCH.jpg  
Old 26 Dec 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2808546)   #11
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

September 13th 1964 Brands Hatch. The BIG Special Saloons.

This is the programme of competitors for Sunday September 13th 1964 Brands Hatch.
Where are they now I wonder? Reg Gubbins and Les Nash were there with me, but what happened to the other guys from those pioneering days?
Attached Thumbnails
The Big Saloons Brands Hatch Sunday September 13th 1964.jpg  
Old 26 Dec 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2808553)   #12
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

SUNDAY APRIL 24TH 1966.

This was Sunday April 24th 1966.Notable new boys on this day were: Ryan Lee, who turned out to be really quick later on in his racing career in a mini.
John Hipkiss, also very quick. Doug Griffiths who had many a dice with me over the following years, and Pete Bevan in his indecentely fast A.40.
The BIG saloons race was quite memorable for me, in that Sid Taylor's wife Mary was in an almighty smash with her mini, going end over end, and it so happened that she ended up alongside where I was watching. I was able to get her out, almost as soon as the car stopped. Sid, has never forgotten that day.
Looking at the competitors in that big saloon race, I wondered if car number 87 was indeed Tony Hazelwood, who came to fame in the seventies?
Attached Thumbnails
MALLORY PARK 1966 My Race..jpg   SALOON CARS OVER 1,000 cc MALLORY 1966.jpg  
Old 26 Dec 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2808606)   #13
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

THE WAY THE 1971 TRIPLEX CHAMPIONSHIP FINISHED.

THIS IS THE WAY IT ALL ENDED IN THE TRIPLEX SALOON CAR CHAMPIONSHIP OF 1971.LOOKING DOWN THE LIST, A LOT OF MY MATES HAVE GONE. NICK BIRCH, AND SEDRIC BELL AND DEAR MARTIN SELLICKS. OTHERS ARE STILL AROUND, AND ARE POSSIBLEY GRAND FATHERS, I HAD AN E-MAIL FROM TOM POWELL A FEW WEEKS AGO. ANYWAY, ENJOY READING THE NAMES FROM ALL THOSE YEARS AGO.
AND TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT THE PRIZE MONEY WAS! JUST SHOWS THAT WE DIDN'T DO IT FOR THE CASH.
Attached Thumbnails
1971 TRIPLEX SALOON CAR CHAMPIONSHIP. ALL THE WINNERS..jpg  
Old 27 Dec 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2808765)   #14
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

The ORIGINAL two Decals 1977. Donington

It was 1976. Tom Wheatcroft had given me permission to create a colour scheme for a new range of memorabilia, you know badges/decals/and so on. Also he wanted a range of clothing, jackets ( Rally jackets, as they were called back then) caps, vests and all the things that you could expect to find at the track. I even created the "Winners Caps". So, its 1976, and as we all know, it never happened. In 1977, we brought out our range of goodies, and got dear old Tom to model for us. As well as the stickers, I was asked to create "Radio Donington", but more about that later.
For the photographic Archive, see the two pictures attached.
Peter Gaydon was the Managing Director in those days that followed, and he was such a go-ahead MD too. He had vision. A really good bloke.
Attached Thumbnails
THE DAY MY MATE TOM WHEATCROFT MODELED FOR ME..jpg   Donington Decals 1977..jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2010, 11:21 (Ref:2809158)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is terrific stuff Gerry, but I think it more appropriate in the main History forum, where it'll probably also receive more views. Yes, more, please; and as Chris says, please either hang onto them or pass them to some one like Chris, one of the guardians of our motors sport heritage.
Old 29 Dec 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2809212)   #16
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
This is terrific stuff Gerry, but I think it more appropriate in the main History forum, where it'll probably also receive more views. Yes, more, please; and as Chris says, please either hang onto them or pass them to some one like Chris, one of the guardians of our motors sport heritage.
Understood John.
Thank you.
Gerry
Old 29 Dec 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2809218)   #17
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

RESULTS SHEET MARCH 23rd 1974 SILVERSTONE

RESULTS SHEET: JAGUAR DRIVERS CLUB. RESTRICTED MEETING.
DATED SATURDAY MARCH 23rd.
A bad day for yours truly, as you can see. Big Tony won overall.
One of my best racing mates of the up to a one litre class was there, GEOFF FARMER, who I see from time to time.
Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
MARCH 23rd 1974 JAGUAR DRIVERS CLUB MEETING..jpg   MARCH 23rd 1974 JAGUAR DRIVERS CLUB MEETING. 001.jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2809221)   #18
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

LONG GONE....LONGRIDGE Near PRESTON.

Fond memories, and high hopes are what I remember of this tiny track. We towed the trailer ( no transporters in those days, well, not like today.) and we stayed at THE TICKLED TROUT motel, on the Ribble, and travelled over to the circuit after breakfast. I vaguely recall thinking that I would only use two gears, it was so small! Great viewing though, as it was set in a disused stone quarry. All credit to the owners, they really tried to make it work, and that's one of the reasons we all trekked up there, to support them.
Here's a Grid Layout, and a Results Sheet.
I do hope that you find these of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
THE LATE LONGRIDGE CIRCUIT APRIL 21st 1974 001.jpg   THE LATE LONGRIDGE CIRCUIT APRIL 21st 1974.jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2809224)   #19
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

ESSO UNIFLOW CHAMPIOSHIP RESULTS SHEET.

April 15th 1974.
SILVERSTONE.
I remember this event as I was beaten by two really good drivers.
Ray Payne in his Hartwell Imp, and dear Pete Baldwin, with whom I seemed to have had so many incredible dices. A really great saloon car jockey.
You'll see the one time editor of CCC there somewhere, TERRY GRIMWOOD, who was also kind to me, when I neede a bit of publicity. BILLY SHEPHERD's A-40 was also in there somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
ESSO UNIFLOW CHAMPIONSHIP APRIL 15TH 1974 SILVERSTONE.jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2809229)   #20
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

AINTREE MOTOR RACING CIRCUIT 1974

THIS IS A REMINDER OF THE AINTREE CIRCUIT, LIVERPOOL.
I only raced there a few times, though I really enjoyed it. But it always seemed to clash with events running championships I was in. It was very CLUBBY and a great atmosphere too. We were always made so welcome by the team up there. The PRACTICE sheets were done on a gestetner ( ask your Dad) and it was really run on a shoestring, but.........it was fun to have been part of it.
Can't explain how I did two times, or what happened to have my name down twice?
Attached Thumbnails
SATURDAY 21st SEPTEMBER 1974  AINTREE CIRCUIT..jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2809233)   #21
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

INGLISTON RACE CIRCUIT SCOTLAND. 1974

No one could accuse us of not travelling to "AWAY" circuits. This was a long, long way to go to do a ten lap race, but off we went. Actually, I went up to Edinburgh by train, and my mechanic and his girlfriend brought the race car up. I don't know who had the longest journey, as we were shunted into sidings at Lancaster for hours, and then seemed to travel at snail pace all the way there. So, nothing changes does it Ha,ha.
The late Sedric Bell was there, and John Fyda, Ian Forrest too.
I had a great write up in the local paper I recall, and the programme too, but had a coming together with Ian, and ended up way down the field.
But a nice memory of an old, long gone track.
Attached Thumbnails
INGLISTON 15TH SEPTEMBER 1974.jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2809234)   #22
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

1972. Silverstone. TRIPLEX CHAMPIONSHIP GRID.

Dated: Monday August 28th. 1972.SILVERSTONE Grid Sheet for the up to 1.litre class Special Saloon Cars.
Ryan Lee in his rapid mini grabbed Pole. David Gumn sat next to him with me on the outside of the front row.
The second row has Martin Sellicks, and Nick Birch (sadly both are no longer with us). Trevor Clapton and Trevor Cook, and then Billy Shepherd in his A.40.
Take a look at row 6 though, and you'll see Steve Soper there in his Imp.....wonder whatever happened to Steve?
Attached Thumbnails
SILVERSTON 28TH AUGUST 1972 TRIPLEX CHAMPIOSHIP.jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2809239)   #23
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

LONGRIDGE RACE MEETING 11th MAY 1975

This is the list of competitors from Longridge May 11th 1975.
I am listing the entire cast, as I happen to have picked up a copy whilst there, so at least you can see who else was competing and in what car.
Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
LONGRIDGE 1975..jpg   LONGRIDGE 1975. 001.jpg  
Old 30 Dec 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2809384)   #24
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Gerry,
Longridge was my local circuit. What colour was the Anglia? I've a few photos from there.
I'll post on here any pics.
Andy.
Old 30 Dec 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2809567)   #25
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Clegg View Post
Hi Gerry,
Longridge was my local circuit. What colour was the Anglia? I've a few photos from there.
I'll post on here any pics.
Andy.
Andy, Hi. White/Yellow and Black.
It had a SWISH logo all over it. Here's a photograph.
Thanks for the reply.
Gerry
Attached Thumbnails
Anglia Round Right Hand Corner.jpg