Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jun 2019, 20:26 (Ref:3908532)   #26
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I suspect they are more expensive than an F1 or F2 car of the era we are thinking of. The technology and modifications used I building an ST are quite beyond the normal simply installed engine in a specially designed single seater.

The Mondeo comes to mind as being particularly complicated.
I suspect you are right, but they seem to be popular in NZ, and yet they couldn't afford to run them back in the day, and developed much cheaper “Schedule S” (later FIA Group N+, or Super Production) rules instead.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3908614)   #27
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one for anyone thinking of going, large sections of the infield are closed off due to prep work for Download festival. Inside turn 1, start of craners and back straight fenced off.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 10:20 (Ref:3908620)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well qualifying was interesting. Lost electrics and no wipers etc. We're 3rd from last. Hey ho if this rain keeps up I'm just going to potter around. Haven't driven the car since 2017 so trying to get used to it.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 10:59 (Ref:3908623)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Just a quick one for anyone thinking of going, large sections of the infield are closed off due to prep work for Download festival. Inside turn 1, start of craners and back straight fenced off.
My wife asked me earlier in the week if Download was this weekend. Probably based on the Weather forecast - this is classic Download weather.

However with a complete absence of large stacks of beer and other drinks at the Co-op yesterday it was clear that there was no way this was also a Download weekend ...

Unusual, I think, to use the infield in recent times. Maybe the idea this year is to channel movement from the camp site to the main stage across the centre of the circuit rather than around the outside. Unless, of course, they have a completely new location for various parts of the event.

Last edited by grantp; 8 Jun 2019 at 11:04.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3908625)   #30
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I, too, thought that Download in recent years had been outside the circuit boundary.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 11:21 (Ref:3908627)   #31
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I, too, thought that Download in recent years had been outside the circuit boundary.
https://downloadfestival.co.uk/info/

This should link to a page with a map of the site although oddly for some reason I can't zoom it to a sensible size using Firefox.

It looks line the camp site to main area route is allowing some passage across the centre of the track but also there seem to be some reserved areas on the inside as well. Looks like these are for disabled facilities and camping.

Internet Explorer is not much better than Firefox although it does, sort of, allow the map thumbnail to expand a little. On can see just how much of the circuit and surrounding area is used.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 11:47 (Ref:3908629)   #32
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
https://downloadfestival.co.uk/info/

This should link to a page with a map of the site although oddly for some reason I can't zoom it to a sensible size using Firefox.

It looks line the camp site to main area route is allowing some passage across the centre of the track but also there seem to be some reserved areas on the inside as well. Looks like these are for disabled facilities and camping.

Internet Explorer is not much better than Firefox although it does, sort of, allow the map thumbnail to expand a little. On can see just how much of the circuit and surrounding area is used.
I see. Thanks. When I went to “Monsters of Rock” (yes, really) in my youth the only stage was inside the circuit just in front of the Old Hairpin. The crowd stood on the spectator bank looking down from main straight/ old Exhibition centre site. In far more recent years, all the stages have been outside the circuit boundary’s.
Old 8 Jun 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3908632)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I see. Thanks. When I went to “Monsters of Rock” (yes, really) in my youth the only stage was inside the circuit just in front of the Old Hairpin. The crowd stood on the spectator bank looking down from main straight/ old Exhibition centre site. In far more recent years, all the stages have been outside the circuit boundary’s.
I recall the photos form when the even was mainly inside the track.

I think that changed, or started to change, somewhere in the Gillett period around the time the MotoX track was created. Then other 'developments' took place that extended the potential for hard standing (of sorts) in the paddock area (even before it was tarred over) although the Formula E buildings development slightly impinged on that.

Camping and car parking arrangements seem to have evolved over the years too.

Must be a bit chaotic this weekend and for any events on during the week although in past years the tidy-up activity after the event is usually quite rapid. Just a few days.

Last edited by grantp; 8 Jun 2019 at 12:44.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3908775)   #34
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 runners in Sportscars.Oh dear.One of those races.

If only the drivers who race at the Classic or Spa could come out more often.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3908810)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
5 runners in Sportscars.Oh dear.One of those races.

If only the drivers who race at the Classic or Spa could come out more often.

Quite a high attrition rate in the race and I think they lost one or two in qualifying.

Ric Wood won the first Dunlop race but it seems he did not start the second.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 18:32 (Ref:3908830)   #36
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ric didn't do race 2 as he didn't need to. He would have won by miles. It is odd having a 2008 V8 Supercar in a series for older touring cars pre 2005 to 1970.

The series is already starting to struggle. The types of cars in the series always seem to be a lap away from a mechanical problem for some reason. Look at race 2 results from Silverstone.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3908841)   #37
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ric didn't do race 2 as he didn't need to. He would have won by miles.
hmm... well that's what the commentary said at least.

Quote:
It is odd having a 2008 V8 Supercar in a series for older touring cars pre 2005 to 1970.
also hmm...
Old 9 Jun 2019, 19:28 (Ref:3908843)   #38
Willmaz223
Veteran

The car isn't eligible for points and it's an invitation entry.

Nice to have it though. Sure sounds nice.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 20:37 (Ref:3908880)   #39
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Quite so.

I can understand why he might not want to run it in the second race.

As an invitation car it's of limited purpose so no point in taking the risk and using up what are probably lifed components if you want to keep the thing operational.

On the other hand if you don't want to do a 20 minute race with relatively few runners (so not a busy track) and the option to run at whatever pace you want ... what else are you going to do with the car?

Track days? Test days for fun?

What options are there, around Europe for example, to run the Holden?

I would probably be quite happy just having in sitting in the garage but there must be more to Ric wanting it than making it a rarely used modern museum piece.

That said if he's happy to give it some exercise once or twice a year I'm sure many people would be happy to see it.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 20:46 (Ref:3908887)   #40
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
What options are there, around Europe for example, to run the Holden?
https://classictouringcars.com/thund...-championship/
It's been run in Thunder Saloons a couple of times this year. There are a few other V8 Supercars there as well.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3908895)   #41
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

According to programme notes, Ric was not eligible for trophies or podiums but at the end of race 1 he was on the top step of the paddock podium holding a trophy. I don't think you can blame Alan Hyde for not knowing the podium procedures for each race but someone from the organisers should of stepped in and done something.
Old 9 Jun 2019, 21:18 (Ref:3908897)   #42
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
https://classictouringcars.com/thund...-championship/
It's been run in Thunder Saloons a couple of times this year. There are a few other V8 Supercars there as well.
Why would Ric want to be a small fish in a big pond when he can beat the touring cars in a car with at least twice the engine size despite a self imposed pit lane drive through penalty.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 06:01 (Ref:3908959)   #43
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
V8 supercar or two are regular sights -and sounds -in the Northern Saloons and Sport Car series ; short races but wonderfully mixed , and full grids.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 06:55 (Ref:3908970)   #44
Willmaz223
Veteran

They're was a series a couple of years ago called UKV8s that was for V8 Supercars in the UK.

However in its only round or two it only got a couple of entries.Since then there has been more of them seen .Probably near to double figures.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 07:28 (Ref:3908980)   #45
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
They're was a series a couple of years ago called UKV8s that was for V8 Supercars in the UK.

However in its only round or two it only got a couple of entries.Since then there has been more of them seen .Probably near to double figures.
A James Tucker (ex Britcar chief) initiative. Never took off. Cars were originally built for a Midfle East series.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 07:37 (Ref:3908988)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well after a torrid qualifying where I lost all the electrics we were 18th and second in class. Behind us was a little Diva which would ultimately outpace us.

Ken started the race because I've stupidly hurt my back so can't get out very quickly. The car ran well but is definitely down on power because the other MGB lapped five secs quicker than us. However it broke a drive shaft so we finished 2nd in class behind the Diva.

Got to say that down on power or not, driving it was a hoot. Managed to drift it through old hairpin and Mcleans almost every lap. Very predictable. Just needs a bit more oomph before the Classic. I'd forgotten how much fun these cars can be.
Old 10 Jun 2019, 20:13 (Ref:3909214)   #47
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, Here's my vid from Saturday if anyone interested. To say it was a tad wet be an understatement, at least Sunday sounded much better. I dont know what to suggest can be done about the relativity poor entries. For only 5 cars to take part in the sports car race is just pathetic, and i would realy love to know were all the Super tourers have gone, lets see how the entries look for the next round at the Brands Super Prix before calling its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QTJHKyCVY0
Old 11 Jun 2019, 06:43 (Ref:3909290)   #48
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Just a quick one, Here's my vid from Saturday if anyone interested. To say it was a tad wet be an understatement, at least Sunday sounded much better. I dont know what to suggest can be done about the relativity poor entries. For only 5 cars to take part in the sports car race is just pathetic, and i would realy love to know were all the Super tourers have gone, lets see how the entries look for the next round at the Brands Super Prix before calling its time.

One of many problems is that Masters doesnt seem to get the same drivers back every race or at least many of them back every race.With Peter Auto they get the same numbers mostly every round.Not sure why but with Masters its just not the same.

Super Tourers just needs to end really.It's a pretty lifeless existence with about 5 to 6 cars.

I could be wrong in the future.I really hope so and that something changes.
Old 11 Jun 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3909341)   #49
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Great video, thanks for posting. Enjoyed seeing the NK GT&TC cars.