Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Dec 2010, 11:28 (Ref:2809161)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that some of these posts merit copying to the Driver files so, at some stage I will do so.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2937020)   #27
TGB
Rookie

Australia
Australia
TGB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please excuse the epic thread bump, but I came across it after searching Roy James on Google.

A few weeks ago I received some information on Roy James from someone who was linked to him back in his motor racing days. Although it mentions nothing about an E-Type, he was definitely a Jag man and loved his MKII's. Apparently he would have them modified to racing specification and even stole cars and made them to order for other people, to help pay for his karting career.

I published it online if anyone is interested in having a read
http://www.topgearbox.com/2011/news/btcc-roy-james-mk11-jaguar/
Old 16 Aug 2011, 06:49 (Ref:2941645)   #28
riley1.5
Rookie

riley1.5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow - just read the 'anonymous' e-mail. (see the link in previous post)

I wonder how much of this is true - did Jag really use magnesium and or titanium if posible in the 50's/60's ? Did they build in a design weakness into their engines, so that when raced only factory modded ones would win?

I'm always suspicious when somebody is anonymous and doesnt mention names - what is he/she hidding, or are they having a bit of fun. Blimey - it was 50 years ago - why all the secrecy?

Riley 1.5

(ps love the quote in the Cadwell Park Youtube clip "and Roy James is proving hard to catch" - great
Old 16 Aug 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2941659)   #29
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley1.5 View Post
Wow - just read the 'anonymous' e-mail. (see the link in previous post)............:
would be interested to know if you read it through a couple more times and analyse it whether you'll conclude like me it's riddled with inconsistencies and contradictions ?
Old 16 Aug 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2941667)   #30
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
would be interested to know if you read it through a couple more times and analyse it whether you'll conclude like me it's riddled with inconsistencies and contradictions ?
Yes, I found it an entertaining read but fiction is supposed to be entertaining isn't it?
Old 16 Aug 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2941720)   #31
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Most of it is Chinese wispers after all this time as re that article.
However at this moment I am sitting outside of Gordon Goody's original beach bar on Mojacar Playa, the stories that he used to spin back then were pretty well the same. The passage of time tends to cloud and exaggerate the memory !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 16 Aug 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2941777)   #32
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As some of you may recall (well at least those of a certain age), the BRSCC used to make a film each year containing excerpts from various race meetings around the country that season. The film was then shown, with other motorsport themed films, at a midnight film show held at the Odeon, Leicester Square in London, and then subsequently elsewhere, e.g. Birmingham (BRSCC Midland Centre), etc.

One year in the 1960's I seem to recall the film contained a piece about a Formula Junior race at Mallory Park won by Roy James. At the end of the race, as was the custom in those days, the winner collected his cup, laurel wreath and a checkered flag from the finish line and then did the winners lap of the circuit. As Roy James drove away on his winners lap, the soundtrack of the film went along the following lines "There goes Roy James with the cup. Wonder if we will ever see that again". Brought the house down.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 15:34 (Ref:2942144)   #33
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Scillitoe View Post
As some of you may recall (well at least those of a certain age), the BRSCC used to make a film each year containing excerpts from various race meetings around the country that season. The film was then shown, with other motorsport themed films, at a midnight film show held at the Odeon, Leicester Square in London, and then subsequently elsewhere, e.g. Birmingham (BRSCC Midland Centre), etc.

One year in the 1960's I seem to recall the film contained a piece about a Formula Junior race at Mallory Park won by Roy James. At the end of the race, as was the custom in those days, the winner collected his cup, laurel wreath and a checkered flag from the finish line and then did the winners lap of the circuit. As Roy James drove away on his winners lap, the soundtrack of the film went along the following lines "There goes Roy James with the cup. Wonder if we will ever see that again". Brought the house down.
Race in question was Sheffield Telegraph Trophy at CADWELL Park.I have the BRSCC films 1960-64 on VHS video.They were produced by one David Roscoe who provided the comentry.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2942272)   #34
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That anonymous e-mail is a scream. A clear case of acute paranoia.

(1) I don't think that Jaguar ever entered a "works" Mk1 or Mk 2 in the BTCC
(2) If they had, they would have been delighted to receive the publicity of a customer beating the factory cars

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3063716)   #35
Caterham7
Rookie

Caterham7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
My Dad was racing in the 1963 FJ and apparently he was in the race on the 19th of May with Hailwood and James at Brands.
He's been told that there is a video of this race available (possibly the BRSCC ones)
I would love to get hold of that video for him.

Any one know where I could get the video of that race?

Any help very much appreciated.