Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 5 Feb 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3021874)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
You probably don't have to worry until you find yourself searching EBay for a 312 and Wartburg tuning parts, with thoughts of Goodwood next year...
Old 7 Feb 2012, 03:02 (Ref:3022463)   #52
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Here's another one- apparently it's a Wartburg...

http://www.gyorsasagi.hu/fenykepalbu...hiv/124992#top
Good to see the brave comrade defeating the western capitalist pig Ford Mustang.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3022490)   #53
Speed Merchant 91
Rookie

United States
Gilbert, Arizona
Speed Merchant 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's also Don Schumacher's Wonder Wagon Chevy Vega Funny Car from 1973. The car was a aerodynamic flop and was short lived

Old 7 Feb 2012, 09:09 (Ref:3022533)   #54
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think anyone's mentioned that hideously ugly BMW Mini Countryman, currently the centre of some controversy in the WRC. Does that count as an estate?
Old 16 Feb 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3026606)   #55
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Previous posts have referred to the Minnow Mini - I saw these race at Snetterton in what I think was the Mini Miglia series.

They were entered and sponsored by the Fish Carburettor concern (presumably hence the "Minnow" name)- I have no idea what the carb. consisted of and whether it worked.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3027329)   #56
Volvo in Motorsport
Rookie

Sweden
Volvo in Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing Estates.

Hello! I´m new hear at this great forum. A lot of my free time i am trying too research about the Volvo motorsport history. And a perfect start if you like Volvo, is estates .. Here are some i have found.

In the 1968 London to Sydney Marathon, Elsie Gadd from Australia won the Coupes de Dames in a REPCO Volvo 145 s.

In the 1969 Hankiralli in Finland Gunnar Andersson, the boss of Volvo Competition Service. Was persuaded to enter the rally in his private Volvo 145. With nothing more than a tuned engine and a Co driver he found at the rally he actually won his class. And he even won some stages of the rally.

In the 1986 SCCA Endurance Championship Professional Racing Series in the US, two Volvo 745 Turbo´s was entered with the help of Volvo North America.

The 1994 BTCC racecar´s you know about. A fun fact is that those car´s was the first to use catalysts in motorsport. And in the first race Volvo had stuffed toy dogs in the car´s during the qualifying.

There has also been some other private rally and racing Volvo estates in Sweden. And also two Volvo RWD Volvo V40 entered the 2010 Swedish Rallycross Championship.
Attached Thumbnails
urban-bergström-2010-sm-rc.jpg   hankiralli-1969-skogh.jpg   7d6eca68-1441-4bbf-adc3-e871b8bf42ff.jpg  

Old 18 Feb 2012, 02:01 (Ref:3027403)   #57
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Great first post! That V40 doesn't look like any I see around my locality- maybe the local youth could get to work on them..........

Who knows, I may be doing track days in my diesel V50 soon......
Old 4 May 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3069251)   #58
Volvo in Motorsport
Rookie

Sweden
Volvo in Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing estates

Thank you Mike!

I think your V50 would be perfect on the track..

When me and my friends were at a rally in the Swedish Championship a couple of years back, one of the "0" cars was a Volvo 745. And he did not save the car in anyway. It was maximum attack in that big estate..

I found a pic on the Volvo 745 Turbo, that was raced in the U.S.
Attached Thumbnails
745t_US-racing-1986-kom-i-mål-alla-race.jpg  
Old 4 May 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3069288)   #59
Chrisbie
Rookie

Chrisbie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton park 2009

MGCC Oulton 09 06 by Lightprism, on Flickr

I am sure I saw it or another Montego estate in Black earlier in the decade
Old 4 May 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3069495)   #60
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbie View Post
Oulton park 2009

MGCC Oulton 09 06 by Lightprism, on Flickr

I am sure I saw it or another Montego estate in Black earlier in the decade
Wow, that is an intrepid motorsport enthusiast. Hats off to the guy for choosing that car, not something with a hitherto obvious competition pedigree. Looks pretty good to boot?
Old 5 May 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3069681)   #61
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montego mentioned in post #2! I think that yellow one is the ex-Andy Campbell championship winning car. There was an article in a magazine about why he chose the estate, but the details eludes me. I think he ran a prep company, there were a few cars around in that livery at the time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maisiehexagon/265454575/
Old 5 May 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3069746)   #62
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andy Campbell's Montego was featured in Retro Cars magazine. I remember it said it had better aero for Snetterton and Thruxton but had a penalty of having to keep the glass rather than perspex. Simon Byrne also ran it in black, before being sold on and repainted yellow.

http://www.montegoracing.co.uk/

Simon Byrne by MaisieHexagon, on Flickr

But this one was a different build I think.

Last edited by medius; 5 May 2012 at 12:17.
Old 5 May 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3070044)   #63
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like the Campbell car went straight to yellow, are the two black ones the same car?
Old 6 May 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3070429)   #64
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good point.

MGOC Parc Ferme by MaisieHexagon, on Flickr

MGOC race start by MaisieHexagon, on Flickr

Don't know if the car is the same as the Byrne black one, but the Haylett one met its end at Brands in 2009.

http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/alb...&pictureid=913

More pics: http://www.maestro.org.uk/forums/album.php?albumid=99