Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Feb 2020, 22:12 (Ref:3955545)   #3026
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We’ll see what happens with Coates. Tbh I don’t see much point with him staying in Clio Cup, although it hasn’t harmed others to stay in the category a bit longer
Old 4 Feb 2020, 00:27 (Ref:3955560)   #3027
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think it's either BTCC or Clio Cup.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 10:49 (Ref:3955611)   #3028
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A while since the last update. Summary of rumours below. A lot of recent talk has been on what cars/models will be driven, while the talk of who is in what seat has gone a bit quiet.
Only a handful to announce now - and aside from the previously rumoured drivers, no new drivers seem to be generating many column inches.
Edwards is no longer a rumour for BTCC in 2020.

TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Excelr8Hyundai i30Smith ?On TBL Entry List - says he is close to a deal
Excelr8Hyundai i30ProctorOn BTCC.net (and others)
Team DynamicsHonda CivicCammishConfirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda CivicNealConfirmed in press release
WSRBMW 330iOliphantOn BTCC.net (and others)
WSRBMW 330iTurkingtonOn BTCC.net (and others)
WSRBMW 330iJordanOn BTCC.net (and others)
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXR?Plato ?Says deal is not signed yet
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXR????On TBL Entry List
SpeedworksToyota CorollaIngramConfirmed Ginsters backing for 2020 in article
Laser Tools (Aiden Moffat Racing)Infiniti Q50MoffatConfirmed in press release
Laser Tools (Team BMR)Infiniti Q50SuttonConfirmed in press release
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassRowbottomOn BTCC.net (and others)
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassMorganOn BTCC.net (and others)
HARDVW CCGoffOn BTCC.net (and others)
HARDVW CCBushellOn BTCC.net (and others)
HARDVW CC???On TBL Entry List
HARDBMW 125iBoardleyOn BTCC.net (and others)
AmD (Cobra)Honda CivicHillOn BTCC.net (and others)
AmD (Cobra)Honda CivicOsborneOn BTCC.net (and others)
AmD (Trade Price)Audi S3ThompsonOn BTCC.net (and others)
AmD (Trade Price)Audi S3GornallOn BTCC.net (and others)
BTC RacingHonda CivicCreesOn BTCC.net (and others)
BTC RacingHonda CivicCookOn BTCC.net (and others)
BTC RacingHonda CivicChiltonOn BTCC.net (and others)
MotorbaseFord Focus RSJacksonOn BTCC.net (and others). Car described as new build RS
MotorbaseFord FocusButcherOn BTCC.net (and others)
MotorbaseFord Focus???On TBL Entry List
Simpson RacingHonda Civic?Simpson?On TBL Entry List - Rumoured to have vocalised a withdrawal
Team ParkerBMW?JelleyOn BTCC.net

Likely Entries   

Possible Entries   
??????M.JacksonLinked to half of the teams on the grid - strong suggestion of PMR
??????N.HamiltonDidn't complete 2019 season, but website is being updated
??????SmileyConfirmed to be not at BTC
??????SheddenSpeculation about wanting a return - Neal hints he is helping secure drive

Entries with doubt   
???Subaru Levorg???Car not viable as NGTC entry
???MB A-Class???Car on sale from Laser Tools
???MG6???Excelr8 switched to Hyundai
??????TordoffDidn't complete 2019 season
HARDVW CCCoates?Gilham #tagging?
Not PMR???CollardPMR rumoured to have new driver

Old 4 Feb 2020, 10:52 (Ref:3955612)   #3029
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And an update to those rumours that originated in 10/10ths.
The news of Butcher and O.Jackson being on the grid has made the public domain, other possibles are still to be confirmed:

TeamCarDriverNotes

Words Marked   
??????FilesTR4racer
Simpson TBLHonda CivicNot SimpsonPickles
PMR???SmileyPickles
??????SheddenPickles
Vodafone (Motorbase)Ford Focus STButchercrmalcolm
Excelr8???Smithsceptic

Came to pass   
??????Suttontouring fan01
AmDHonda Civic x2New DriversOverboost
Motorbase3rd Car???Jiiiiiiim
HARDBMW 1-SeriesBoardleyKinger6
Speedworks/Dynamics/WSR/Laser Tools/HARD/Amd Cobra/BTC/MotorbaseChange of 1 Car???Pickles
HARD???Boardleysceptic
Trade PriceAudi S3 x2???Overboost
Trade Price?Audi S3 x2???RS67
WSR???Jordantouring fan01
BTC???CookOverboost
??????Chiltontouring fan01, Alfisti
BTCHonda CivicChiltonbilly bleach
BTC???ChiltonOverboost
Motorbase???ButcherPickles
??????O.Jacksonsceptic

Didn't materialise   
PMR3rd Car???Pickles
???Honda CivicBoardleyPickles
Not HARDNot Honda CivicBoardleyPickles
HARDVW CC???crmalcolm (in entry list)
???BMW 330iCollardAlfisti
Trade Price Cars???Hillsceptic
Excelr8???Osbornesceptic
HARD???Creessceptic

Old 4 Feb 2020, 11:57 (Ref:3955618)   #3030
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add Bobby Thompson as no.3 to the BTCC preseason injury/illness list.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 12:03 (Ref:3955620)   #3031
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Add Bobby Thompson as no.3 to the BTCC preseason injury/illness list.
Uh oh... what's happened?
Old 4 Feb 2020, 12:41 (Ref:3955626)   #3032
RS67
Veteran

Nothing serious by the look of it.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...Jp7CVaOoflCeu8
Old 4 Feb 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3955628)   #3033
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Ta Yeah, doesn't look quite as bad. Hopefully that's the last of them!
Old 4 Feb 2020, 13:26 (Ref:3955631)   #3034
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Hopefully that's the last of them!
Well that lasted all of 30 minutes, apparently Ollie Jackson has norovirus..!
Old 4 Feb 2020, 13:32 (Ref:3955634)   #3035
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A while since the last update. Summary of rumours below. A lot of recent talk has been on what cars/models will be driven, while the talk of who is in what seat has gone a bit quiet.
Only a handful to announce now - and aside from the previously rumoured drivers, no new drivers seem to be generating many column inches.
Edwards is no longer a rumour for BTCC in 2020.

TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Excelr8Hyundai i30Smith ?On TBL Entry List - says he is close to a deal
Excelr8Hyundai i30ProctorOn BTCC.net (and others)
Team DynamicsHonda CivicCammishConfirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda CivicNealConfirmed in press release
WSRBMW 330iOliphantOn BTCC.net (and others)
WSRBMW 330iTurkingtonOn BTCC.net (and others)
WSRBMW 330iJordanOn BTCC.net (and others)
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXR?Plato ?Says deal is not signed yet
Power MaxedVauxhall Astra VXR????On TBL Entry List
SpeedworksToyota CorollaIngramConfirmed Ginsters backing for 2020 in article
Laser Tools (Aiden Moffat Racing)Infiniti Q50MoffatConfirmed in press release
Laser Tools (Team BMR)Infiniti Q50SuttonConfirmed in press release
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassRowbottomOn BTCC.net (and others)
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-ClassMorganOn BTCC.net (and others)
HARDVW CCGoffOn BTCC.net (and others)
HARDVW CCBushellOn BTCC.net (and others)
HARDVW CC???On TBL Entry List
HARDBMW 125iBoardleyOn BTCC.net (and others)
AmD (Cobra)Honda CivicHillOn BTCC.net (and others)
AmD (Cobra)Honda CivicOsborneOn BTCC.net (and others)
AmD (Trade Price)Audi S3ThompsonOn BTCC.net (and others)
AmD (Trade Price)Audi S3GornallOn BTCC.net (and others)
BTC RacingHonda CivicCreesOn BTCC.net (and others)
BTC RacingHonda CivicCookOn BTCC.net (and others)
BTC RacingHonda CivicChiltonOn BTCC.net (and others)
MotorbaseFord Focus RSJacksonOn BTCC.net (and others). Car described as new build RS
MotorbaseFord FocusButcherOn BTCC.net (and others)
MotorbaseFord Focus???On TBL Entry List
Simpson RacingHonda Civic?Simpson?On TBL Entry List - Rumoured to have vocalised a withdrawal
Team ParkerBMW?JelleyOn BTCC.net

Likely Entries   

Possible Entries   
??????M.JacksonLinked to half of the teams on the grid - strong suggestion of PMR
??????N.HamiltonDidn't complete 2019 season, but website is being updated
??????SmileyConfirmed to be not at BTC
??????SheddenSpeculation about wanting a return - Neal hints he is helping secure drive

Entries with doubt   
???MB A-Class???Car on sale from Laser Tools
??????TordoffDidn't complete 2019 season
HARDVW CCCoates?Gilham #tagging?
Not PMR???CollardPMR rumoured to have new driver

I think my comment about PMR and the VXR brand might have been misunderstood! I was suggesting that they might advertise the VXR brand on the cars, but the car will not actually be a VXR. Next Astra VXR won't be until at least 2021, if not later. The car will be externally more or less the same as last year, bar the barely noticeable facelift, unless they switch to the insignia which I find highly unlikely as it dwarfs even the 3 series by a big margin!
Old 4 Feb 2020, 13:39 (Ref:3955636)   #3036
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Need to get back to smaller mid size cars. The hatches are too small, and the saloons are too big.

For the record, I think the A3 saloon is the perfect size and profile for a touring car.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 13:54 (Ref:3955638)   #3037
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Need to get back to smaller mid size cars. The hatches are too small, and the saloons are too big.

For the record, I think the A3 saloon is the perfect size and profile for a touring car.
Interesting point, and I'm not saying I disagree.
What basis do you make that judgement on though - aesthetics, ideals or performance?
The NGTC regs introduced a minimum length, and fixed width, which was aimed in part to bring about a certain size of car.
In terms of BTCC, I think the models should always reflect what is in showrooms and supermarket car parks.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:03 (Ref:3955641)   #3038
Evantra
Veteran

England
Dan Lloyd announcing plans tomorrow - more than likely to be TCR but could be a potential candidate for the Motorbase or PMR seat..?
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3955644)   #3039
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Looking at the best selling cars of 2019 (in the UK), what featured in the top 20 (highest seller listed first)?

Ford - Fiesta, Focus, Kuga
VW - Golf, Polo, Tiguan
Nissan - Qashqai, Juke
Vauxhall - Corsa, Astra, Mokka X
Mercedes - C-Class, A-Class
MINI - Hatch
Kia - Sportage
Audi - A3
BMW - 3-Series, 1-Series
Hyundai - Tucson
Toyota - Yaris

From that list, to have the maximum range of options, NGTC is faced with being either:
Superminis (B segment) - 5
Compact (C segment) - 6
Compact Executive (D segment) - 2
SUVs (J segment) - 7

We have a mixture of Compact/Compact Executive cars on the grid currently, so I would suggest they have it about right.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:25 (Ref:3955649)   #3040
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post

Focus RS is only about 100mm shorter than a Sierra RS 500 or Mk2 Mondeo, only about 50mm shorter on wheelbase, yet is wider than either of it's predecessors. Not exactly small.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:26 (Ref:3955650)   #3041
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say that the size of touring cars havent really changed that much. Cars have got bigger. For example A modern Astra is only 4 inches shorter then the Vectra used during the supertouring era. A similar size gap between a modern focus and a 20 year old Mondeo. The Hatchbacks we see now are not that much different size wise from the saloons that were used during the supertouring years.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:41 (Ref:3955654)   #3042
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Touring cars have always been about a variety of cars in different models, from hatchbacks to estate cars
Old 4 Feb 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3955658)   #3043
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Width is largely irrelevant nowadays, due to the NGTC fixed width specification. But what about length? Since 1990, the length of the base model of the car driven by the champion is listed below.
This shows that the smallest car was the Honda Civic of 2011, closely followed by the Astra Coupe of 2001. Interestingly though, the 125i of recent years is just 1mm shorter than the M3 of the early '90s.
In terms of longest cars, the two most recent models to enter the list (Levorg and 330i) are only challenged by the Vectra of 2011 in terms of length.
The majority of cars are in the 4400-4600mm range, which aligns with the NGTC spec of a 4400mm minimum length.

4490mm (RS 500)
4325mm (M3 E30)
4433mm (318is E36)
4443mm (155)
4419mm (Cavalier)
4520mm (A4)
4508mm (Laguna)
4470mm (S40)
4481mm (Primera)
4556mm (Mondeo)
4267mm (Astra Coupe)
4374mm (Integra)
4611mm (Vectra)
4520mm (320si E90)
4597mm (Cruze)
4249mm (Civic)
4324mm (125i)
4690mm (Levorg)
4709mm (330i G20)

What this also tells us is, regardless of length, a car built well to the regulations can be successful. Any talk of cars needing to be long or short to give results is just nonsense. The current 3-series is longer than any other championship winning car of the last 30 years, and yet the most successful car in the NGTC era is also the shortest.......
The real factor in what makes a good touring car here is WSR and Team Dynamics.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:41 (Ref:3955664)   #3044
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Dan Lloyd announcing plans tomorrow - more than likely to be TCR but could be a potential candidate for the Motorbase or PMR seat..?
Hopefully sticks to TCR cant stand the whinging prat
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3955666)   #3045
Crazyknight
Rookie

Crazyknight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC 2020 season discussion, News and Rumours!

PMR have a driver announcement at 8am tomorrow

Edit they’re announcing both drivers
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:47 (Ref:3955667)   #3046
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Chief pasty taster and fat b@$€£÷@!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Hopefully sticks to TCR cant stand the whinging prat
I see we're keeping it classy in our respect for drivers in the BTCC!
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:49 (Ref:3955668)   #3047
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyknight View Post
PMR have a driver announcement at 8am tomorrow

Edit they’re announcing both drivers
It's not Coates then - and confirms that Plato is not confirmed yet.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:56 (Ref:3955672)   #3048
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It's not Coates then - and confirms that Plato is not confirmed yet.
there is no better seat left for Plato to go to
Old 4 Feb 2020, 15:59 (Ref:3955673)   #3049
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
sales-i have announced that they will be running a blog throughout the 2020 season.
This might indicated a step up in their level of coverage, following the ASI announcement that they will continue with PMR.

Adam Weaver (PMR): 'We’re delighted to be continuing our relationship with sales-i. This will be their fourth season utilising the BTCC as a marketing tool with us, and every year their presence on the car has grown'

Chloe Cordell (i-sales): 'we are continuing our sponsorship of Power Maxed Racing (PMR) and are excited to see what the future holds for the talented drivers (TBC) and their team'
Old 4 Feb 2020, 16:04 (Ref:3955674)   #3050
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
there is no better seat left for Plato to go to
Arguably true. Drivers don't always move to better seats though, and unless they've acquired a 3rd car/TBL from somewhere, it means that Plato is currently (as at 1600hrs on 4th Feb) not confirmed at PMR as a driver.

Leon-Lacetti
Cruze-MG 6
MG 6-VW CC
VW CC-Levorg

Each one of those moves could be seen as moving to an inferior car, but one with potential.