Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3822033)   #351
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how he managed to drive a Porsche LMP1 flat out which is as every bit as complex as an F1 car to manage....
Old 13 May 2018, 11:37 (Ref:3822034)   #352
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Kvyat really wasn't that bad either. But his position in the RB stable was untenable.

It would be an unsurprising shame to see Hartley dropped, but overall Wehrlein is a better overall driver.
If he's not world champion by at least September I fully expect him to be dropped too, replaced by [insert name here] who is a better driver.
Old 13 May 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3822037)   #353
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least he isn’t causing as many collisions as Kyvat
Old 13 May 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3822038)   #354
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Funny how he managed to drive a Porsche LMP1 flat out which is as every bit as complex as an F1 car to manage....
Exactly. It's a different learning curve to be sure and he's not had a great start but frankly I think it's nonsense that it's suggested he isn't good enough. Gasly has done a decent job, with one excellent result, but he has more experience with what is clearly not a great car. I would be extremely disappointed if Brendon is dropped.
Old 13 May 2018, 12:18 (Ref:3822054)   #355
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is probably the major issue with the formula. Too much technology so the driver is secondary. I suspect disregard are still reliant more on driver input.
Old 13 May 2018, 23:38 (Ref:3822222)   #356
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
At least he isn’t causing as many collisions as Verstappen
fixed
Old 14 May 2018, 00:01 (Ref:3822226)   #357
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes well I would be surprised if he is replaced by Canada, and even more surprised for it to be a Mercedes driver... or has Weirlein been dropped from Merc now? If not and he goes incredibly well, Merc have another Bottas backup while RB have who... their money is all on Ticktum. Perhaps they should have been so quick to drop Albon or Verschoor.

Hartley though seems to be getting slower. In the 3 FP's at Spain he was 0.8, 0.9, 0.6 slower than Gasly. I would like to hear what the issue is because that's not good enough. His race was pretty average, started last, picked up a position on Sirotkin who was off track, but as soon as the SC ended Sirotkin passed him at the restart. That's that then.

How I don't know because Hartley's top speeds were fine. Was he terrible getting onto the straight? Alonso had passed him fully on the straight long before the t1 braking zone during pit stop overlaps. Even Leclerc in the Sauber passed him on the straight - what's going on?! DRS wasn't that effective. Anyway so Brendan got held up behind Sirotkin for the entire first half of the race, but was never really close enough to pass anyway. Finally got the job done through pit stops, an overcut in fact which showed his pace on 30 lap meds was better than Sirotkins on brand new meds. Then he spent the rest of the race catching and eventually passing Ericsson which took a while because of Leclerc, Alonso, and someone else all passing him during the different tyre phases. Ultimately finished 12th, but if everyone had finished the race, it probably would have been 18th-19th. Maybe Gasly would only have been 10th at best but you never know.

If Hartley is still able to help on the technical side of things, you might as well keep him in the car. Wehrlein won't be much faster.

TR's bigger issue is who the heck they put in the car next year that isn't signed to some other teams' contract.
Old 14 May 2018, 00:13 (Ref:3822229)   #358
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
...and even more surprised for it to be a Mercedes driver... or has Weirlein been dropped from Merc now? If not and he goes incredibly well, Merc have another Bottas backup while RB have who... their money is all on Ticktum. Perhaps they should have been so quick to drop Albon or Verschoor.
Re Werlheim It did not seem to interfere with him driving for Sauber, a Ferrari customer. I think Mercedes look at it as a positive to have their protégé amassing F1 seat time which longer term may be of benefit to them.

I believe he is still a Mercedes driver.... currently driving for them in DTM IIRC.
Old 14 May 2018, 00:25 (Ref:3822233)   #359
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just checked on Pascal in DTM, and yes he is. He is driving for Mercedes. Further checking on Pascal's DTM commitments, and there is no clash with Canada. However the French GP and Belgian GP do clash with DTM rounds. He currently lies 5th overall in the DTM title race, 3rd of the Mercedes drivers.
Old 18 May 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3823223)   #360
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
On supplying engines to Red Bull in 2019... "As it stands, there is uncertainty inside the Japanese manufacturer that it is the right thing to do."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...f-attack-.html

Old 21 May 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3823751)   #361
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
On supplying engines to Red Bull in 2019... "As it stands, there is uncertainty inside the Japanese manufacturer that it is the right thing to do."[/url]
Not exactly inspiring is it? Essentially that's Honda saying "if we supply engines to Red Bull we'll be getting a kicking like we did from McLaren - don't fancy that much". You can understand their reasoning to some degree but it does suggest a huge lack of confidence in their own ability to make the engine fast enough and reliable enough.
Old 21 May 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3823752)   #362
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
After the public kicking that Red Bull have given Renault, just imagine how badly RBR would react if hey had a slow and unreliable Honda unit instead.
Old 21 May 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3823776)   #363
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
RBR were lucky to keep Renault at all. I think Honda will keep that in mind
Old 21 May 2018, 20:45 (Ref:3823837)   #364
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Not exactly inspiring is it? Essentially that's Honda saying "if we supply engines to Red Bull we'll be getting a kicking like we did from McLaren - don't fancy that much". You can understand their reasoning to some degree but it does suggest a huge lack of confidence in their own ability to make the engine fast enough and reliable enough.
I'd say it's more of the usual caution from Honda. They may not be as bad as the past but the minute they aren't in front of Mercedes Horner and company cry like someone stole their toys. After watching it for years with Renault I'm not sure Honda had the stomach for it. And yes, think there is def some degree of uncertainty within Honda their engine will be MB or Ferrari level, competitive maybe; tops, I'd guess no.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Old 21 May 2018, 21:05 (Ref:3823840)   #365
S griffin
Veteran

Honda should get better, but I still think it would be hard for RBR to take them, as Horner won’t tolerate failure. With time, I’m sure Honda can be up there
Old 23 May 2018, 00:39 (Ref:3824107)   #366
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see TR/Honda are keen on the possibility of a Japanese driver in future.

How that will happen remains to be seen as DRic could move to Ferrari leaving Sainz to move up to RB. But if he stays with Renault that'll mean Gasly moves up to RB. That leaves at least 1 seat at TR. If DRic stays put, that leaves no seats but Hartley unfortunately the likely one to be replaced unless he can miraculously start matching Gasly. But Gasly really has youth on his side and it's working for him at the moment beating Hartley.

However the other issue is who could replace Hartley?

Tadasuke Makino currently in F2 and on race form is a long way behind Markelov but I think he's outqualified him a couple of times, somehow. But I don't think he'll ever acquire the superlicense points. He's never won a single championship, only finishing 2nd in the Japanese F4 in 2015 and that's also the only time he's ever won races. I don't really know how he even has a drive in F2 because he's so underqualified for that. He did do Euro F3 last year but his 3 team mates all scored almost twice as many points as him. Seriously wtf.

Then there's Fukuzumi. He has actually won a title, the JAF Formula, something I've never even heard of. A year in GP3 at the dominant team where Leclerc, Albon finished 1-2, de Vries 7th and Fukuzumi 8th. But both he and de Vries did show speed at times, at least keeping those other two honest in the odd races and had some bad results when they were running highly (usually their own mistakes though).

Fuku should have been at a big advantage being a year 2 ART driver in 2017 but he was never really able to keep up with George Russell or even Aitken. I think he needs a top 4 in F2 to get the superlicense points and and even Mitch Evans couldn't crack the top 10 in the F2 Arden. That team just isn't fast enough. He'd have to switch to ART to stand any hope of top 4 and even then I don't think he'd be good enough no matter what team he's with, F2 is too closely fought currently between ART, Dams, Prema, RT, Carlin now. Even Campos is back up there in the hands of Ghiotto.

Matsushita has gone elsewhere, he wouldn't have the points and was really no where near F1 level - he'd probably crash in most races.

Who else is there for Honda?

I think I read somewhere Merc wouldn't stand in the way of Wehrlein returning to F1.

Hopefully Hartley finally has a good run at Monaco!!!
Old 23 May 2018, 06:40 (Ref:3824130)   #367
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
There will be one open seat at Toro Rosso for 2019.

Who will fill it?

Old 23 May 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3824188)   #368
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Unless they can get a competitive car/engine combination they are doomed to an endless revolving door of drivers.
Pointless continually changing the jockeys on a three legged horse.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3824195)   #369
S griffin
Veteran

I think they’ll keep searching. I’d like to see them keep Hartley and Gasly. Certainly they can’t be held account for this season’s car
Old 23 May 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3824276)   #370
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Surely Honda will eventually sort the engine out, the history and resources of the company must mean the management will be demanding they improve soon
Old 27 May 2018, 00:13 (Ref:3824845)   #371
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Ugh I could actually slap Brendon for that. 7th in practice 3, if he can qualify there then it's points in the bag provide the car lasts and he doesn't get undercut.

Yet come the most important qualifying on the year (probably his F1 career if his seat is on the line) and he's 16th with a 1'13.179 vs 1'12.221 from Gasly (although he was only 1'12.941 in q1) in 10th. He'd out performed Gasly all weekend but when it counts, Hartley's out in q1, Gasly pulls it all together and makes q3. He's moved up to 15th and they'll probably start on supersofts whereas the top 10 will have to stop early so strategy may help but still, another disappointment from Hartley. He did say afterwards that he just kept getting traffic and the last lap had the yellow, but he was in traffic on that lap anyway and it's no excuse, you have the best part of 20 mins to get a single good lap in and he didn't.

Webber will be thinking he should have recommended his other kiwi buddy Mitch Evans instead of Brendon! There's no way Evans would be a second behind Gasly.
Old 27 May 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3824885)   #372
S griffin
Veteran

Qualifiying can be a bit of a lottery round here. Still well done Gasly in getting through to Q3. Let's see what the race brings
Old 27 May 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3824935)   #373
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Qualifiying can be a bit of a lottery round here. Still well done Gasly in getting through to Q3. Let's see what the race brings
Great run by Gasly to 7th! Gasly is a quality driver, the training in Super Formula (Honda powered, of course) has done him well I think.
Old 27 May 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3824945)   #374
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gasly did a very good job indeed.
Old 28 May 2018, 01:56 (Ref:3825128)   #375
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Yes and for Hartley it was another big failure. Bad qualifying, damages the front wing on lap 1, speeds in the pits, their pit strategy was just ridiculous. The same as Hamilton though, but at least Hartley should have had fresh hypersofts and he still pits before anyone else (except Hamilton)... why???? He should have run till mid race on those hypers, just like Gasly did on his used hypers. Hartley is supposed to be the guy to conserve and yet he's always doing the opposite strategies. Are they all halfwits on his side of the garage? Instead he pits and puts on the ultrasofts while everyone else around him pits up to 10 laps later and puts on softs, so he has a train of cars behind him on softs all running to the end while he has older ultrasofts on. Bizarre.

He did jump a lot of guys in the pits through the undercut though and it moved him up a few spots but even on ultras he was slower than Gasly on 30 lap old hypers! I can only guess the team didn't have any softs to put on so this was the only strategy they could run. But in that case pitting so early was just moronic. At the end he was closing on Sainz for 11th, but nothing would have happened and he had the 5sec penalty anyway. But it didn't matter because Leclerc took him out.

Just another disappointing run for Brendan meanwhile Gasly is almost DOTR (behind DRic).

It's going to be a case of Brendan losing his drive because his team mate is kicking his ass. But I bet it'll be much like in the juniors when he had who was it Ricciardo and Vergne as team mates. Little did we know then that Ricciardo would end up being one of the best in the world and Vergne's no slouch he'll be FE champ this year. Could one look back on this partnership in 5 years time when Gasly is winning titles and think, Hartley really wasn't that far behind him afterall. Much like Vettel/Bourdais.