Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Dec 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2806315)   #101
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Sniff Petrol are at it again

Here's their input: http://sniffpetrol.com/2010/12/13/th...anges-in-full/
Old 20 Dec 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2806485)   #102
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
A good analysis of the 2011 technical regulations, courtesy of F1technical.

http://www.f1technical.net/features/...2d1a16b0da8a47
Old 20 Dec 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2806499)   #103
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I liked better the first link ! Good reading.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2806511)   #104
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Occured to me last night, dunno if it has already been covered in this thread but......

What's the point of KERS Adjustable wings etc if the engines are all rev-limited the same? Everyone will be geared the same (more or less) at each track, so terminal velocities will be near enough the same regardless of KERS or wings.... It might just affect who gets to that terminal velocity sooner.

Thoughts?
Old 20 Dec 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2806588)   #105
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Occured to me last night, dunno if it has already been covered in this thread but......

What's the point of KERS Adjustable wings etc if the engines are all rev-limited the same? Everyone will be geared the same (more or less) at each track, so terminal velocities will be near enough the same regardless of KERS or wings.... It might just affect who gets to that terminal velocity sooner.

Thoughts?
You can only deploy your adjustable wing if you are within one second of the car ahead of you. The driver in the car ahead cannot deploy his adjustable wing, unless he too is within one second of the car ahead. KERS will be governed as 2009 AFAIK.

Since "Competitors must inform the FIA technical delegate which ratios they intend to fit no later than two hours after the end of P2." they must make sure that they get everything as it should be during P1 and P2.

This could prove to be something of a compromise however, since the driver will then be able to use his adjustable wing at any time during qualifying to maximize his speed around the circuit, but will only be able to use it when it is enabled by the FIA during the race.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2806594)   #106
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They should just allow teams to adjust setup after parc fermé has finished at say 9am local time Sunday morning.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2806634)   #107
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I guess it could not be done on a Saturday night. Be past their bedtime with the curfew on the engineers now.

Maybe they should bring back the old practice of having a Sunday Morning race warmup as well whilst they are at it.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2806648)   #108
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
They should just allow teams to adjust setup after parc fermé has finished at say 9am local time Sunday morning.
I can see what you're saying there, but we mustn't go back to the bad old days of having the more affluent teams turning 'qualifying' cars into 'race' cars.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 03:20 (Ref:2806753)   #109
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I can see what you're saying there, but we mustn't go back to the bad old days of having the more affluent teams turning 'qualifying' cars into 'race' cars.

Why not?
Old 21 Dec 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2806783)   #110
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Perhaps my memory is going, but I don't recall teams building whole other cars for qualifying. I remember BMW having a "qualifying engine" back in 2003 - 2004, but certainly not different chassis.

I don't think allowing teams to adjust spring rates, anti roll bar, ride height, camber, toe in/out, gearing, wing levels etc are really going to cost loads of money.
Old 21 Dec 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2807135)   #111
Crazy_Pigal
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Crazy_Pigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

And now the first sniff of new chassis regs for 2013:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9307861.stm

It's about time, not sure why they didn't skip the 2009 changes & go straight for a return to ground effect?
With 1.6 turbos it's all sounding very 80's, but I did like the 80's so not complaining.

Wonder if they'll go for 18" dia rims at the same time? certainly hope so.
Old 22 Dec 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2807252)   #112
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
So inform me, what are ground effects? Is it underbody aerodynamics? Since the 'tea tray' wings are to return, will they have endplates like indy car? I'd think F1 teams would vote to keep that, would they not? I'm not into the ground effects topic, but would like to be. Perhaps we can have a bit of a discussion on it?
Old 22 Dec 2010, 08:52 (Ref:2807256)   #113
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Perhaps we can have a bit of a discussion on it?
Currently happening on this thread. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=126113&page=2

Old 22 Dec 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2807459)   #114
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
A bit more insight into how the 2011 moveable rear wing will/should work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/9313790.stm
Old 24 Dec 2010, 02:05 (Ref:2808005)   #115
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Sadly push to pass is not a racing manouevre.

Anyway it should add to the action a bit which is good, but still does not constitute good racing. Just passing for the sake of passing. The instability after the pass and before the wing settles again may provide some interesting challenges.

At what point is the passed car allowed to retaliate?
Who is the judge of the second gap?
How will it be enforced? More inconsistent stewarding?

Should allow a much slower car to hang onto a faster car for ever simply by catching up on the straight, lap after lap.

Oh well it at least provides a different variable.
Old 24 Dec 2010, 02:19 (Ref:2808008)   #116
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be governed by electronics like GPS and of course the McLaren ECU. There will be no human element of stewarding as far as I understand
Old 7 Jan 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2812564)   #117
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the idea of returning to using a more ground effect oriented car is that it will cut down on the "dirty air" problem in F1. I am a bit sceptical about that, but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 8 Jan 2011, 02:37 (Ref:2812789)   #118
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
It will be governed by electronics like GPS and of course the McLaren ECU. There will be no human element of stewarding as far as I understand
Yes it seems like the software engineers now have as much input and influence over the way the car performs, probably more so than the drivers....