Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Jan 2015, 12:14 (Ref:3492732)   #26
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Agreed. I have never bothered with the free bus and always moved round by foot. Moving round the "main" areas can be slow going during the day (due to the crowds), but its great at night when a lot of people have headed to bed.

The group I travel with often pack a couple of very crappy folding bikes to make it easier to get around. Be warned though: even the crappest push bike may walk over the course of the weekend!
Each to their own, but we use the free bus every year. While waiting for them to get going on Sunday morning is annoying and there's a small wait to get back on to get back up, but we've never missed "hours" and to walk to Mulsanne would take some time.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 13:50 (Ref:3492752)   #27
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Nowt wrong with wanting to join the namby pambys, but I would say 20k away seems quite far. On race days traffic around the circuit is gridlock and I'd hate to have to try and get in from that far away tbh.
For the past twelve years we've stayed on a campsite 15-20 kilometres away and have only once had problems with getting to the track. Getting away afterwards has always been incredibly easy, with slow, never stationary traffic for the first kilometre or so.

As regards the bus around the circuit. Only used it once - just after lunch on Sunday - and it was fine, with no queueing or waiting.
Old 14 Jan 2015, 22:20 (Ref:3492889)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm just going to say 'Welcome' Simon and leave it to the others to make their recommendations and give their advice. The 'camping v. Namby-Pamby' (friendly) war of words is revived on here every year and each is very much convinced that their way is the way it should be done. It depends what you want, and may depend on things like age, mobility and whether you desire creature comforts (and a comfortable bed) or not. After all, there are many hardened tentites here who still sleep through half the race night - something I've just never understood! But, the best is that we say welcome, stay tuned and any advice you need will be readily forthcoming - after all, we have to be kind to you, as it appears that you are about to become an 'addict'....

And no more 'spoilers' in this thread, if possible (and I mean that in the more old-fashioned sense of the word......
Old 15 Jan 2015, 11:12 (Ref:3493031)   #29
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
many hardened tentites
sounds like something you go to the doctors with.

i can confirm neither i nor any of my friends or family have never caught tentites from camping at le mans
Old 15 Jan 2015, 14:34 (Ref:3493061)   #30
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I feel I must add some nuance in my rant about the free ACO around the track bus service.
I was pointing to the use of the bus in the night of the race when the amount of running busses is reduced to just one. In all honesty I've never made use of the service during the daytime hours. As I have cought from one of the busdrivers, the fact that the night time service is so bad has something to do with the unions of the bus companies.
Old 16 Jan 2015, 19:04 (Ref:3493391)   #31
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
sounds like something you go to the doctors with.

i can confirm neither i nor any of my friends or family have never caught tentites from camping at le mans
But admit it Simon, you take the tube of cream with you every year, just in case.......
Old 16 Jan 2015, 19:17 (Ref:3493394)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Like you Andrew over a period of thirty years I have built up a good resistance to the infection and i can therefore keep attending without becoming addicted, i could give it up easily but choose not to
Old 18 Jan 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3493866)   #33
simon_blay
Racer

simon_blay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Okay, so you've all talked me into camping, I am planning on arriving Weds pm, leaving Sun after the race.

I think I'll buy everything separately, only other thing I can't decide is the campsite. Something at the circuit and with good toilet/shower facilites will do, if there are any new recommendations then let me know so I can get booked up!

Am marshaling Silverstone 24hr in April as (quite tame!) warm up
Old 18 Jan 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3493875)   #34
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I do hope you don't end up feeling disappointed by all our advice to camp!

We've all got our favourites, like several others I've been on Tertre Rouge for the last 7 years, and will be there again in 2015. It's got a great position (there have been times when I've managed to get a space where I could see cars breaking into the corner from inside my tent), atmosphere around the site is fun, and the toilets / showers are plentiful enough and frequently cleaned. It may, however, be a bit of a challenge to get tickets there.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 18:09 (Ref:3493876)   #35
simon_blay
Racer

Just had a look, there's a waiting list. Is there somewhere I can easily just go and buy a ticket?
Old 18 Jan 2015, 18:14 (Ref:3493879)   #36
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It will be very hard to find any of the agencies with the better sites left but you may be lucky however there are always a few that end up spare and are offered on the various le mans sites, sometimes here but more often on club arnarge or beermountain which incidentally has good descriptions of the on site camping. I had quite a bit of input on the Tertre Rouge entry but that site is the hardest to get as it is usually full of long term fans, but sometimes they are offered. If you are prepared to wait until late may/early june prices on e bay start to drop and you will always get beausjour camping right up till you arrive.
Old 18 Jan 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3493880)   #37
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Forgot to say, if you want to get sorted sooner thn speak to Nadine at the tourist office in Le mans, she is the dedicated person there and speaks good english, she will not get you the sites already sold out but she is good and no agents mark up to pay.
If you look on beermountain there are contact details for the ACO, nadine and all the main agencies
Old 18 Jan 2015, 18:30 (Ref:3493885)   #38
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_blay View Post
Just had a look, there's a waiting list. Is there somewhere I can easily just go and buy a ticket?
Unsurprised Tertre Rouge is showing as full, but as Simon (GT6) says things often free up over time and you can luck into things. In 2008 we took the decision to go comparatively late and a speculative call to the agency I've used got me a pitch there - probably a case of being in right place and right time, so not something I'd necessarily rely on, but does show that pleasant surprises can and do happen.
Old 21 Jan 2015, 01:01 (Ref:3494654)   #39
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!

The good thing is that you'll be travelling by car. One car if I'm correct? This makes it a bit easier to still find yourself a spot on one of the good sites.
Old 25 Jan 2015, 12:04 (Ref:3496837)   #40
simon_blay
Racer

Good news, you have all persuaded me! Have booked through Speedchills, going with a mate who has never been to live motorsport before, but is into his photography and fancies a new challenge!

Leaving Bristol on the Weds, returning Sunday night, all via the tunnel. Camping in Bleu Nord, seemed like a more sensible campsite choice for my first time! Very excited, now the planning starts!

Am marshaling the Silverstone Dunlop 24hr for the third time in April, good chance for a practice run...
Old 25 Jan 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3496879)   #41
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Glad you are all sorted, you will have a great time, keep an eye on the forum for info and please ask any other questions you think of. You will find plenty to do will you are there but please make sure your plans include the meet on Saturday at 12,00 in the village where you will meet the rest of us and share some cheese and may be the odd drink or two.
Old 25 Jan 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3496928)   #42
simon_blay
Racer

Sound like a great shout, we will see you there!
Old 27 Jan 2015, 05:19 (Ref:3497880)   #43
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Blue Nord! Bring your ear plugs for Thursday and Friday nights.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3497920)   #44
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Good news, you have all persuaded me! Have booked through Speedchills, going with a mate who has never been to live motorsport before, but is into his photography and fancies a new challenge!

Leaving Bristol on the Weds, returning Sunday night, all via the tunnel. Camping in Bleu Nord, seemed like a more sensible campsite choice for my first time! Very excited, now the planning starts!

Am marshaling the Silverstone Dunlop 24hr for the third time in April, good chance for a practice run...
One resource that you will find invaluable is this guide
Old 27 Jan 2015, 11:21 (Ref:3497948)   #45
kaseo88
Rookie

kaseo88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first time was last 2014 and my advise are:
Study the "Le Mans FAQs thread"
Check the google maps map that CTD published (is in the FAQs)
Keep reading and asking (even if you think it is a dumb question) here because is the best place to do so.
Read & watch about others years race, cars, drivers, etc. etc. Soak up with the history of LM.
Enjoy this time preparing the travel. For me it was one big reason to feel happy everyday.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 11:34 (Ref:3497953)   #46
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseo88 View Post
My first time was last 2014 and my advise are:
Study the "Le Mans FAQs thread"
Check the google maps map that CTD published (is in the FAQs)
Keep reading and asking (even if you think it is a dumb question) here because is the best place to do so.
Read & watch about others years race, cars, drivers, etc. etc. Soak up with the history of LM.
Enjoy this time preparing the travel. For me it was one big reason to feel happy everyday.
Here you go:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Y.kP4YaI9BXO2M
Old 27 Jan 2015, 11:35 (Ref:3497955)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
There are no dumb questions - even those who've been going for many years still have things to learn - ask away, if someone knows, you'll soon have the answer....
Old 27 Jan 2015, 13:20 (Ref:3497983)   #48
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Even after 30 years i often find new things to see and do
Old 29 Jan 2015, 10:39 (Ref:3498631)   #49
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

We've booked up Bleu Nord for the 6th time in 9 years.
Its fine - although very messy on Sunday night - we no longer stay beyond 6 pm for that reason.
A big site and the facilities are "OK" but not enough.
Location is perfect for a first trip.
We arrive Friday pm and will then walk into Arnage to look at cars, drink beer and get some non-BBQ food.
Old 16 Feb 2015, 00:35 (Ref:3505325)   #50
tdm74
Rookie

United States
wherever I lay my phone is my home
tdm74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I decided in the past few days to make my first trip to Le Mans this year, this next week I need to make sure I can still get tickets for everything that I would like to do, as well as try to figure out my flights from the States and the train from Paris.